Megadeth

Marty Friedman and Chris Poland are comfortably better and tastier guitarists, imo.
I think there's something about Kiko that has injected a new energy into this band. I think he brings something new to the band that they have lacked since Marty left. All you need to do is listen to Conquer or Die!

I agree with this, however Dystopia is a massive outlier.
I actually found 'Dystopia' to be quite dull. Solid but unremarkable I suppose. It has grown on me with time but, like I mentioned in the Dream Theater thread today, not enough of it was played live for me to appreciate it more. I saw Megadave three times on the 'Dystopia' tour (Wembley Arena, Bloodstock, Stone Free). At Bloodstock Festival there were four songs from 'Dystopia', but that was 18 months after the album was released. The show at Wembley Arena - two months before the album was released - only had one new song which wasn't a great way to promote the new album. At Stone Free they had a shorter set as they were subheadlining to Scorpions and played two songs from 'Dystopia' - but by then the album was more than two years old and most people had probably moved on since then.

I think there's something about Kiko that has injected a new energy into this band. I think he brings something new to the band that they have lacked since Marty left. All you need to do is listen to Conquer or Die!
Kiko certainly brings a lot to the live performances. He's injected some much needed energy after a few years of Megadave's live shows getting a bit stale.

I get what you mean by it sounding a little dull. I think that might have to do a lot with the production on the album. But I really don't think there's a poor song on there. The first three songs and 'Poisonous Shadows' are good indicators of where Megadeth should be at this stage in their career. We need more songs like those rather than 'Built for War' and 'Burn!'

As for live shows they definitely should have played a few more songs. I also saw them open for the Scorpions and they played 'The Threat is Real' and the 'Dystopia.' Their shows could have easily benefited from more songs, but when comparing them to the rest of their more recent albums, Dystopia was a lot more prevalent in the setlists.

Not so with Anthrax. Their last two albums have both been excellent and as good as their classic material.
That might be, but while I did enjoy some of the last album, I would argue that it's strong but safe as a whole.

I get what you mean by it sounding a little dull. I think that might have to do a lot with the production on the album. But I really don't think there's a poor song on there. The first three songs and 'Poisonous Shadows' are good indicators of where Megadeth should be at this stage in their career. We need more songs like those rather than 'Built for War' and 'Burn!'
And this brings us back to my earlier point. Not quite half of the album is regarded as being high quality and if these songs had been combined with half of another Megadeth album then we'd have one great album. I have the same issue with 'United Abominations'. Half of the album is very strong ('Sleepwalker', 'Blessed are the Dead', 'Washington is Next!', 'Never Walk Alone... A Call to Arms', 'Gears of War'), one song is a polished re-recording of an older song and the rest is mediocre, childish and showcases Dave's crazy, conspiracy theorist side (e.g. 'United Abominations', 'Amerikhastan').
As for live shows they definitely should have played a few more songs. I also saw them open for the Scorpions and they played 'The Threat is Real' and the 'Dystopia.' Their shows could have easily benefited from more songs, but when comparing them to the rest of their more recent albums, Dystopia was a lot more prevalent in the setlists.
In 2017 that's true. I saw them on the 'Super Collider' tour in Glasgow on the day the album was released in 2013 and they only played two songs from it. :confused: How does Dave expect to effectively promote an album when he doesn't adequately showcase the music on said album?

'Super Collider' was a weird album anyway. Megadeth seem to have a cycle of releasing one commercial, cheesey album then following it up with a heavier album. I hope he breaks the cycle this time though and listens to David Ellefson and Kiko Loureiro while recording.

Megadeth seem to have a cycle of releasing one commercial, cheesey album then following it up with a heavier album.

I've enjoyed some of his more commercial outputs but it shouldn't happen next time since he found commercial success with Dystopia...So I'm thinking he's gonna keep that going but let's see..

I am generally of the opinion that Nick Menza and Marty Friedman were the best musicians to ever accompany the Daves, but Dirk's performance in that tiny clip is probably more technically proficient and insane than anything they ever released with Menza.

I honestly found Dystopia pretty average, even if some of the riffing was cool. It was overlong, the lyrics weren't great, Dave's voice is really hurting, and it all sounded pretty similar at a certain point. That said, it's probably a better record than most of their newer stuff.

I think Kiko is fantastic at playing guitar, but maybe a little wanky for Megadeth (I thought the same of Broderick, who just never fit in musically).

IMO, Megadeth is farther past their prime than any of the other bigger four (and that's saying something considering I greatly dislike Slayer and don't give a shit about Anthrax without John Bush).

I think they all are past their prime, but Megadeth still manage to create enjoyable music. Dystopia was a lot of fun, even if some of the content was a bit questionable. If album #16 can have that, then I'll call it a success.

I agree they are all past their prime, although maybe Metallica and Slayer a little bit more so. Megadeth at least has a certain level of consistency. They put something out regularly and I usually know what to expect. Dystopia was pretty solid for a late career effort. Not great, but solid.

Yep, there definitely was a Megedeth thread before.

Anyway, I have no doubt next album will be at least in range of Dystopia, if Dirk is given the same space and freedom Chris was given. Say what you want, but they've had the best output of Big 4 in new millenia.
IMHO, they also survived the '90s with "least casualty" but that's another topic...

I made the old Megadeth thread. No idea where it's gone.
There was an issue with spam threads and in deleting them LC accidentally took down the original Now Playing thread. I think the Megadeth thread was another casualty.

Back