Mavericks No More lies review

A

Anonymous

I thought your review of the ep was a bit harsh dont you think. Paschendale orchestral is brilliant and Journeyman electric altough a brilliant version of it no way as good as the original.
Also it isnt ver tacky. I will never get bored of reading the booklet and looking through it. The wristband rules too.
And finally the video is great too. So what if it isnt properly live it is still nice too see a live video.
In conclusion i didnt enjoy the review at all.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion and I have no problem with you disagreeing with my review.

I personally wrote what I thought and I mean every word of it. 'Journeyman' is the only "better" song and Nicko's ramblings on 'Age Of Innocence' are hilarious. The rest is a rip-off.

The booklet is a piss-take. Why not make a real booklet like they did for the Live After Death LP or the 1998 re-edition? If you can spend hours reading it, it's probably because the writing's too small! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] And that's only the credits and a little meaningless blurb.

I wish Maiden fans were a bit more down-to-earth and would not accept blindly whatever Maiden does as brilliant -- 'cause it's not always the case!

I never got the EP, but I think that Maiden should put out some more than a few re-mixes and a booklet of photos if I should give everything to get hold of it. This time, I didn't.

I like the orchestral version of Paschendale. It's not as good as the original, but I like how you can hear the orchestral more clearly. It helps me hear all the intricacies of the original song when I go back to the album version.

They definatly should of put 1 more song on it like a new version of Raimaker or something. Something along the lines of a acoustic version

i also thought it was a bit harsh. bear in mind that they were struggling to keep the cost down as well, i mean, some shops even sold it €4.20 in Greece, and whichever shop sold it for more than €6 was overpricing, which has nothing to do with the band. i was talking to the guy who owns the cd shop and he told me that EMI almost called off the release because of the lack of substantial profit to be made from it...

so they managed to squeeze alot of stuff in there for €5, it's not a box set, and it probably won't impress me or you, but it will be the pride and joy of a 15 year old who just got into the band and it is a nice addition to any collection.

What I would complain about is the poor cover, maiden never used to make covers out of remixed already used drawings... cheap cheap cheap.

[!--QuoteBegin-gor+Apr 21 2004, 01:03 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(gor @ Apr 21 2004, 01:03 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] it's not a box set, and it probably won't impress me or you, but it will be the pride and joy of a 15 year old who just got into the band and it is a nice addition to any collection. 

What I would complain about is the poor cover, maiden never used to make covers out of remixed already used drawings... cheap cheap cheap. [/quote]
True True True

Another dead topic resurrected... I did like the EP. I bought it for £5 and while i wasnt convinced by the Paschendale orchestral and the journeyman electric versions, the video, the wristband and Nicko's song alone makes me believe that i made a good purchase.

Almost four year old topic, but i have a question to ask : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzNyKXFvJNQ .

This seems like DOTR video footage of No More Lies, alternate cameras with studio version of the song on top and the original crowd cheering blended in. Is it on the EP or what?

It's the exact video from the EP.

I'm pretty sure it was recorded on the Dortmund gig (the same as the entire DOTR album). Footage from that gig was already professionally edited long before the DVD got released, and I remember seeing it on TV in late 2003 or early 2004.

Thx for the answer, but i noticed something right now...track #2 - Wratchild. While Ardian plays the intro solo, they show Dave for a brief moment, and he's playing all-white Stratocaster, two seconds after, they show him again, and he's playing black strat with white pickguard?!

The magic colour-changing guitars strike again! For more on that, watch Rock In Rio, especially during Ghost Of The Navigator.

Colour-changing guitars?! Please, feel free to elaborate  :D

They're like those toy cars you sometimes got free with meals as a kid. If you kept them in your hand for a while, they would change colour due to the warmth. To get them back to the original colour, you had to stuff them in the freezer. That's how those guitars work.

You mean those little Majorettes we threw into hot water to change color? Nah, not my stuff, i preferred "flipper" cars  :D

Anyways, been playing guitar for a while now, been in the "guitar world" for a while now, and i never heard of those before. I guess you learn a new thing each day. Thx again.

The effect goes pretty quickly here (also due to the extreme temperatures on stage), and the band usually manage to avoid documenting the process so it looks more magical on the screen, but of course sometimes you can still see it. I attached a picture that illustrates it pretty well (I edited it to point out where the colours are still changing).

Attachments

• guitarchangingcolour.jpg
    guitarchangingcolour.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 25
Well, after so many successful years, who says they can`t make their guitars change colours? Anyway, I have the DVD and the TV version of Rock in Rio, so I`ll check it out.

The orchestral versions are all right, but I prefer the studio versions. Actually, the orchestral version of Pasch takes away from the song, in a way I think. Nicko is classic in Age Of Innocence. Reminded me of the stuff from Best of the B Sides!  :D

...But this color chnaging guitar thing is a hot topic right now!  :lol: I've watched RIR a few times but never picked up on it. Looks like I have some watching to do hehe

Oh yeah. During Janick`s solo, Adrian does appear with a sunburst Strat, instead of a white one. BUT, what`s more interesting is that Janick` solo on the DVD and on the TV version is a bit different. On the TV version, he messes up the end of the solo, which is changed for the DVD.  :eek: Maybe I find more...but I didn`t know that they do these things...

Shadow said:
I never got the EP, but I think that Maiden should put out some more than a few re-mixes and a booklet of photos if I should give everything to get hold of it. This time, I didn't.
:bigsmile:

I really like the song No More Lies, as it is strong! It gets to the main point, Honesty is the best policy.

:bigsmile:

Prance

Back