Mastodon

Yea, read about these last night. On one hand I admired how brutally honest his statement was. On the other hand, I can’t help but feel it was also, in part, a tactic to get people to admire how brutal honest his statement was.

I hope whatever happens next, the wife and children can recover. Regardless of what happens to Scott.

Been listening to more and more Hushed and Grim. So at this point, it's an under statement for me to declare that this is their best work, bar none. There's a LOT of twists and turns and different musical styles and I think I've settled on "Eyes of Serpents" and "Dagger" as some of the best work the band has ever written. There's a lot of emotion packed into this album and, if you know the subject matter, it makes sense as to why. But the album also has some of the hardest hitting riffs the band has ever written, such as the main groove in "More Than I Could Chew," and the ending breakdown of "Pain With an Anchor." Anyone else still spinning this? I'm super curious to see where the band goes next.

This album is truly fantastic, and a good surprise, given how disappointing the preceeding was. I think they gained a lot in letting more members contribute. Sultan's was mainly Bill's, while the others have contributed to the last, even Troy. I've missed their last Paris gig, and I hope they tour Europe again for this record.

It is weird to keep hearing less and less of Brent Hinds voice. Still, Troy's roar more than makes up for it. He's got some serious chops now when it comes to expressing emotion via yelling. "The price we paid to know you" is one of the most poignant and emotional lines the band has ever written. Or any band has ever written.

I haven't been able to put down Hushed and Grim yet as I'm still yet to get tired of it. In fact I've listened to a few songs from it this morning. I listen to the full album sometimes twice a week. It's a masterpiece that easily surpasses Crack the Skye. Every song is good, I don't think there's any weak songs on the album in the slightest. It's damn near a personal Top 5 album of all time for me I consider it to be that good. I'd agree with everything @chaosapiant has said so far.

1674238418419.png

A Gojira/Mastodon tour was announced a few days ago. I managed to snag some front row, lower bowl tickets close to the stage for the first date of the tour. This will be one of the best concerts of the year for sure!

Edit: Wanted to add. I'm not sure about all of these venues, but these are full hockey/basketball stadiums venues. Pretty surprised to see venues this big.

I have tickets for Syracuse and it is definitely not in a full sized arena. Same with the show in Montreal, which is in Place Bell, a 10k arena (Amon Amarth just played it).

Same with the show in Colorado, one of our smallest amphitheaters. Actually a step down from where both artists played last time (for Gojira it was Red Rocks, Mastodon was a new indoor arena, both coheadlining with Opeth).

Here are a few thoughts about Mastodon gig that I've seen... 8 months ago.

The venue was Hala park in Zagreb. New place, never been there. It looks cool with the steel container on the one side of the park that serve both as a food/drink/merch stand and a terrace. Luckily it was cloudy, because heat in June in ZG can be exhausting. Downside, it is located next to a big and busy street, which is (at moments) taking the spotlight from the gig with its light and traffic noise.
IMG_20220628_191146.jpg
First on the bill were Baroness. Cool band, I've tried to get into them after the gig, but it didn't stick (so far). The band was really into it (especially the lady on the guitar), the vocal was great and relaxed, but I got distracted by their bass player. Shirtless guy in a white overall, long hair with a huge bald spot, playing heavy metal, but his stage moves resembling a Lynard Skynyrd tribute band. Amazing. Like a magnificent car crash, without casualties—you're glad everyone's OK, but the question lingers in your head “How the fu** did this happen?!”
IMG_20220628_193145.jpg
Next were Kvelertak. Now, that was something. It took some time to realize that half of the songs were in Norwegian - they were that fun to watch. Although all the stage antics that sound clichéd works for this band: waving banner, jumping into the audience, drenching the sweat from your shirt directly into your mouth (yes, it happened, it was disgusting, it made the whole audience roar and laugh). Too bad their music are not my cup of tea, still, as an opener they did a great job.
IMG_20220628_211326.jpg

And then came Mastodon.
At first, I must say I was surprised that they've put their guest musician as a permanent member during the tour. I mean, he was not permanent, but considering the fact they've arranged the stage in a way where he and Bran share the back of the stage, and he was on stage during the whole gig - IDK, it was weird. It did have its pluses during new songs where he actually played, but on older stuff where there are no synths—it just looked odd to me. Standing there, bobbing his head with that Slash top hat he looked completely out of the element.
IMG_20220628_221003.jpg
Next thing I must mention is Bill Keliher. The last couple of times I saw them was in the club, where the stage was a lot smaller that it was now. But now, on a bigger stage, he was really... alive. Headbanging, throwing his guitar, power stance - whatever, it was really a sight to see. More so, I'm of an opinion that he is one of the most underrated (younger? youngish?) guitar players. Only when watching how they made their last album (Hushed and Grim) I realized that most of (if not all) riffs came from him. Actually, looking past couple of albums it was mostly him coming with the ideas, with Bran constructing them. And rarely do I see him mentioned when somebody talks about "modern" guitar players which is really a shame. I actually met him couple of years ago, he did a quick run around the arena (I think he started running when he got of alcohol) He used the same app as I did, we talked for a bit and he really struck me as down-to-Earth guy.
IMG_20220628_214819.jpg
The sound was good, at least second part of the gig. I haven't even hears Brent's guitar or vocals until "The Czar", which was (one of the) highlight. The other one would be "Black Tongue" which I finally heard live. They've played 8 songs from "Hushed and Grim" and although they we're well received they didn't have the impact as some of the older songs ("Blood and Thunder" for example). The setlist is here SETLIST .
IMG_20220628_225733.jpg
Who knows, maybe in 20 years when they do an anniversary tour of "Hushed and Grim" the crowd will go ape-shit when they hear the songs.
In conclusion, Mastodon should be bigger. Way bigger. I don't know how they already don't headline festivals in Europe or why are they downsizing their tours in USA. Moreso, they now a lot of material for a headlining tour so I it's really a shame they're doing co-headlining tours.

Agreed regarding Bill Kelliher. He's very underrated. Brent generally gets the spotlight as he handles all those tasteful leads and when folks talk about best guitarists, they rarely focus on riffs. Bill is a riff master that has not been seen since Hetfield was binge drinking his way through the 80s.

I saw the first date of the tour last night. I was not expecting that at all. My neck is toast! That was the heaviest I’ve ever heard Mastodon play. No Hunter or OMRTS songs, mostly first 3 albums and EOS centric. I was also expecting to hear more from the latest album, perhaps songs that weren’t played yet. Nope. Still thought it was amazing.

I also think they must have hired a new sound engineer. That was the best I’ve heard them sound. The tones were gigantic, some of the riffs were so heavy it just kind of felt like a burden on the soul. I was so exhausted at the end of the Mastodon, and Gojira hadn’t even played yet. Their set was awesome too, sound was even better!

Attachments

• IMG_1799.jpeg
    IMG_1799.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1847.jpeg
    IMG_1847.jpeg
    706.9 KB · Views: 10

I saw the first date of the tour last night. I was not expecting that at all. My neck is toast! That was the heaviest I’ve ever heard Mastodon play. No Hunter or OMRTS songs, mostly first 3 albums and EOS centric. I was also expecting to hear more from the latest album, perhaps songs that weren’t played yet. Nope. Still thought it was amazing.

I also think they must have hired a new sound engineer. That was the best I’ve heard them sound. The tones were gigantic, some of the riffs were so heavy it just kind of felt like a burden on the soul. I was so exhausted at the end of the Mastodon, and Gojira hadn’t even played yet. Their set was awesome too, sound was even better!
Setlist is indeed brutal!

Back