Manilla Road

DJ James

A coma stole my name.
Hail to all ye brethen of the hammer,

Wanted to open up a thread for the pioneers of true epic metal. Manilla Road is a band that emerged during the USPM movement; the movement took during the mid to late eighties. Throughout that period, Manilla Road released a slew of powerful albums; three of them I consider albums that all USPM fans should hear atleast one: Crystal Logic (1983), Open the Gates (1984), and The Deluge (1986). While Manilla Road were titans of power metal back in the day, the last fifteen years have delivered unto us great Manilla Road albums. Spiral Castle (2002) and Voyager (2008) happen to be some of my favorites from the band; the former for adding more extreme metal influences to their sound, and the latter for capitalizing on the aforementioned extreme metal elements.

Here's a few of my favorite songs from the band:

Up the Hammers

That's sad. Only 60 years old. He will surely be remembered as an original and talented musician. I wonder when @Dityn DJ James will find out. He is not that active here and I don't know if he follows metal news.

@Forostar thanks for the mention. Terrible, terrible news. Was hoping to see them live someday! What a shame. Just sewed a Manilla Road patch onto to my new jacket while listening to Open the Gates about 2 weeks ago. A true metal legend gone. Wow, still hard to believe as I'm typing this. Will be playing Crystal Logic a little louder tonight.

Back