Make me complete

A

Anonymous

I am a bit of an anorak when it comes to Maiden and my life would be more complete if I knew the answers to the following questions:

1: Why has Janick taken over some of Adrian's solos? WHose decision was it? Did the band prefer Janick's versions or did Adrian not like his original solo?

2: Who writes what parts of the song? For instance if a song was accredited Smith/Dickinson who wrote the lyrics and who wrote the music? More confusing is when 3 names are accredited. (Gers/Harris/Dickinson) for example.

3: Where can i download a live version of Stranger in a Strange Land? i have just go to hear that solo live.

Answers on a postcard if you have the time.

Cheers

[!--QuoteBegin-thegodthatish+Oct 28 2005, 02:06 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(thegodthatish @ Oct 28 2005, 02:06 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I am a bit of an anorak when it comes to Maiden and my life would be more complete if I knew the answers to the following questions:

1: Why has Janick taken over some of Adrian's solos? WHose decision was it? Did the band prefer Janick's versions or did Adrian not like his original solo?[/quote]

Wild guess- Jan has played H's solos when H wasn't in the band, so when he returned, it seemed to be the easier option for Janick to keep playing them rather than for H to relearn all his parts (needs to be confirmed).

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]2: Who writes what parts of the song? For instance if a song was accredited Smith/Dickinson who wrote the lyrics and who wrote the music? More confusing is when 3 names are accredited. (Gers/Harris/Dickinson) for example.[/quote]

If a song is Smith/Dickinson, it is usually that Smith wrote the instrumental parts and Dickinson the vocal ones (vocal melody and lyrics). If a song is credited to Gers/Harris/Dickinson, it would probably be that Jan and Steve co-wrote the instrumental parts and Bruce the vocal ones. If no singer is credited, but the song was co-written by two instrumentalists (e.g. Smith/Harris), you can try and look for trademarks of the individual composers. There are no strickt rules for these, and if there has been no official mentioning, it is usually speculation.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]3: Where can i download a live version of Stranger in a Strange Land? i have just go to hear that solo live.[/quote]

Check your PM box.

That's really complete. Respect, Per [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Oct 28 2005, 01:49 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Oct 28 2005, 01:49 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]
If a song is Smith/Dickinson, it is usually that Smith wrote the instrumental parts and Dickinson the vocal ones (vocal melody and lyrics). If a song is credited to Gers/Harris/Dickinson, it would probably be that Jan and Steve co-wrote the instrumental parts and Bruce the vocal ones. If no singer is credited, but the song was co-written by two instrumentalists (e.g. Smith/Harris), you can try and look for trademarks of the individual composers. There are no strickt rules for these, and if there has been no official mentioning, it is usually speculation.
[snapback]121503[/snapback]​
[/quote]

just to add something to your comment. Bruce does also know how to play the guitar so it's not impossible that he's written som einstrumental parts to, and for example "the prisoner", in the documentary "Classic albums: Number of the Beast" Bruce tells us that he actually came upp with the drum intro.

Otherwise i must say your answers were complete, just wanted to add this [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Besides what you guys already said about Janick playing H's solos(although I wonder if H really forgot how to play them all, perhaps a bit rusty)... Don't you think it would have been a little rude for Adrian to simply come back and play every solo like Janick had never replaced him? The same reason Dave gets to play all his solos still, he never left, never was replaced.

Plus they're going to be playing a majority of stuff when Janick wasn't even in the band, so some solos have to be given to the guy, otherwise 75% of the set he'll just be doing rhythm.

[!--QuoteBegin-Scream for me Stockholm+Oct 28 2005, 08:04 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Scream for me Stockholm @ Oct 28 2005, 08:04 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]just to add something to your comment. Bruce does also know how to play the guitar so it's not impossible that he's written som einstrumental parts to, and for example "the prisoner", in the documentary "Classic albums: Number of the Beast" Bruce tells us that he actually came upp with the drum intro.

Otherwise i must say your answers were complete, just wanted to add this [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]121515[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I understood that Bruce wasn't allowed to write any material for Number of the beast, and indeed he doesn't have a songwriting credit for any song on that album.

Bruce came into an almost ready album. He wasn't allowed to write for SiT. He actually wrote bunches of stuff that Steve Harris said "bollocks!" to.

[!--QuoteBegin-TheWickedChild+Oct 29 2005, 12:06 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(TheWickedChild @ Oct 29 2005, 12:06 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Besides what you guys already said about Janick playing H's solos(although I wonder if H really forgot how to play them all, perhaps a bit rusty)...[/quote]

I never said "forgot", but he certainly had to relearn them. He hadn't played many of these parts for ten years when he rejoined the band, whereas Janick had played them on the previous tour.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Plus they're going to be playing a majority of stuff when Janick wasn't even in the band, so some solos have to be given to the guy, otherwise 75% of the set he'll just be doing rhythm.
[snapback]121526[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Hardly 75%. On the Edhuntour, perhaps. On the Brave New World tour, nine of the 17 regularly performed songs were from the time Janick was in the band, while during the Dance Of Death tour, the same number in a setlist of 16 songs was from that time- do the math.

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Oct 29 2005, 07:15 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Oct 29 2005, 07:15 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Bruce came into an almost ready album.  He wasn't allowed to write for SiT.  He actually wrote bunches of stuff that Steve Harris said "bollocks!" to.
[snapback]121547[/snapback]​
[/quote]

That is oversimplifying. Bruce was allowed to write for SiT, but the band simply did not choose to use the material. The only occasions I can think of when a band member had no opportunity to actually write any material for an album was when Bruce joined for NOTB and Janick for NPFTD.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Bruce was prevented from contributing to NOTB because of a publishing dispute from his time in Samson.

Perun is right about SIT. Bruce did come up with ideas, but they just weren't good enough.

[!--QuoteBegin-Scream for me Stockholm+Oct 28 2005, 07:04 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Scream for me Stockholm @ Oct 28 2005, 07:04 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]just to add something to your comment. Bruce does also know how to play the guitar so it's not impossible that he's written som einstrumental parts to, and for example "the prisoner"
[snapback]121515[/snapback]​
[/quote]
According to the "interesting facts" on Maidenfans, Bruce wrote the chords to Bring your daughter... whilst sitting on the bog. Rock n roll [!--emo&:lmao:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-thegodthatish+Oct 28 2005, 03:06 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(thegodthatish @ Oct 28 2005, 03:06 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]2: Who writes what parts of the song? For instance if a song was accredited Smith/Dickinson who wrote the lyrics and who wrote the music? More confusing is when 3 names are accredited. (Gers/Harris/Dickinson) for example.
[snapback]121502[/snapback]​
[/quote]

As Perun said there are no rules to who writes what. The thing with maiden is that if you see Harris in the credits then he almost certainly wrote some of the lyrics if not all

[!--QuoteBegin-national acrobat+Oct 29 2005, 09:59 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Oct 29 2005, 09:59 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Perun is right about SIT. Bruce did come up with ideas, but they just weren't good enough.
[snapback]121553[/snapback]​
[/quote]

That's not quite right. It just didn't suit with what the rest of the band had in mind, cause Bruce came up with all these acoustic songs.
One of the songs eventually ended up being the base for Tears of The Dragon (or that's what I have read), so if that's "not good enough", what is!?

It was more a matter of style than of quality

Back