Maidens's Corded Guitars

Mysterio

Invader
I was wondering why IM's Guitarists have plug in cords when they play concerts?  When I saw them in July.  They looked like they were going to trip on them.

Wouldn't cordless guitars work better for them.  When I saw other bands this past summer.  Def Leppard/Judas Priest did not have corded guitars.

I'm just curious.

Mysterio

Yeah, it's weird.  I remember Adrian once claiming it improves the sound quality of the guitar, but I don't think it does, or else why would everyone else use wireless?

And I think Janick at least should go wireless.  He needs to with all the running around he does; plus he spends a lot of time lengthening his cord on stage.

GuineaPig said:
Yeah, it's weird.  I remember Adrian once claiming it improves the sound quality of the guitar, but I don't think it does, or else why would everyone else use wireless?

And I think Janick at least should go wireless.  He needs to with all the running around he does; plus he spends a lot of time lengthening his cord on stage.

Actually, Adrian said something like "I prefer wired, but I don't know if it really makes any difference". He personally seems to think it does make a small noticable difference in sound quality, enough that he prefers it anyway.

It would make sense that a wired guitar has the potential for better sound than wireless - unless the cord breaks, there's no chance of signal loss.

But it is nice to go wireless - I used a wireless microphone at my most recent gig, and it was much fun.

Considering that wireless guitars are used even in club scenes where there isn't room to move too much (and no Janick either :D ), I think Maiden are a bit old-fashioned with this.  And it's live, and sound is never perfect live, so the small advantage that corded guitars may give would just be cancelled by the less-than-perfect quality.  Maybe in album recordings corded guitars are better though.

Back