Maidenfans For Sale

____no5 said:
Why not be bought by a group of fans here ? That would be awesome
That was the first thing I thought of - a sort of global consortium to buy it. But, seriously, would that work?

Albie said:
But, seriously, would that work?

In the very end ?? I don't thing so !
Meanwhile though , we would have had some unforgetable moments,
some good, some bad, some awesome and finally nothing would have been the same anymore,

so YES, it would have worked !  ;)

I'm in.
I think it would best if Maidenfans was operated by it's community. With the aid of a dozen active members, we can share the cost.

Now the questions are : what's the total operating cost of the site, is it hosted over a standard hosting package, or do we have a dedicated server? What are the average monthly revenues generated from advertisments on the site? Do we have autobackup cron jobs for the SQL base, eg. how many weekly hours must be granted just for maintenance purposes?

In any case, i'm willing to share my technical expertise if needed. And, since i have a paid hosting, we could always transfer the SMF, whole forum there. If RW can't maintain the site, and he's forced to abandon it before a solution arises, we would still have the boards and we could preserve the community. In that case, we should buy the domain name from RW, first to get subdomain redirection towards the server that hosts the boards, and later if we want to revive the site we always have the domain name. It's basically up to RW, would he sell us only the domain name and the board without the main site, it's code and it's server hosting plan.

Those are my two cents, i would be really sad if this community dies.

My thoughts on a community purchase are that it sounds a good idea in principle and I wouldn't be against it but you really need to think long term about how it would work. Whos bank account does the server bill come out of? If everyone agrees to share the cost fine thats great but what if one of those people gets bored? What if most of those people get bored and all of a sudden one guy is picking up the bill for a server that is now 10 times more expensive? Who is the administrative contact on the domain? What if they drop off the net for months on end and the domain needs renewing? All these problems need resolving before you commit to a shared purchase.

As stated before the monthly costs for the site are $120. The server is dedicated and includes a backup drive which backs up nightly when the server load is low.

You and me both.  In all honesty, I'd be willing to do what I can.  But I think it's important that if we share in the purchase, we run it carefully.  Like I said - like a business, with a board of directors, a CEO, etc.

Like i said, if we manage to get 5-10 people who are willing to share the cost right now, i'm willing to risk it.

On the other hand, it's even possible for me to get a few people and resell them hosting package on the dedicated server, to balance some of the costs.

$120 on five people equals $24 per person per month. That's not much, even for me and i come from a country that doesn't have high standard. IMHO, there are surely 10 people right now, minimum 10 on these boards, who would be willing to donate ten bucks per month just for the sake of survival. Yeah, you said, someone might go away and lose interest, but newcomers come all the time, right? I mean, i came a year ago and right now i'm willing to get involved for this community to continue.

We even have another option. People who donate on the regular basis get web hostings accordingly to how much they've donated.

Not a bad idea.  I'd even be willing to buy webspace and an email address through Maidenfans, too.  See, already ideas we have :D

Exactly, there is plenty scope for the site actually paying for itself it just needs people with the time and knowledge to get things in motion.
I did at one point offer forum hosting for a small monthly fee but nobody was interested.

I am more than happy to kick in $10 a month. 

Can I have a cool title that I can put on my resume? 

Interviewer: "I see here that you are listed as a CWO of MFNA.  Can you give me some information on that?"

Wasted: "Oh, yes.  I am the CWO of MaidenFans North America, which is a corporate sub-entity to MaidenFans World Wide.  We aren't, as of yet, traded publicly."

I: "Ah, I see.  And what is a CWO?"

W: "Chief Wasted Officer.  Basically, I kick in $10 a month, and I spam like hell.  Oh, sure, occasionally I'll post something with a little meaning, but that really throws off the other forum members."

I: "Well, then, it looks like you could have a fine career here at 'Spam Email for Erectile Dysfunction and Penis Enlargement'.  Welcome aboard!"

hahah that made me lol wasted

I'm not going to make any promises(being I'm a poor student lol) but I'm getting a credit card soon and plan on setting up a pay-pal account so I could try and throw in 10 bucks every month or two. It would be a shame to see this awesome community go under....

LooseCannon said:
You and me both.  In all honesty, I'd be willing to do what I can.  But I think it's important that if we share in the purchase, we run it carefully.  Like I said - like a business, with a board of directors, a CEO, etc.

Not a bad idea, actually.  You could get a group together, everyone chips into the purchase.  If you had, say 10 people, that'd make the monthly expense $12usd each.  If you could get everyone to pay into the 'pot' a years worth, so each person puts in $144 additionally, then if someone wanted to bail, you'd have a years worth of their fees til another person can 'buy in'.  Prob go ahead and have the 'standard 4'-- Pres, VP, Treasurer and Secretary, that way if someone has to be out for a while, the others know what's going on; probably a 2 year hitch, no term limits.  Could be both fun and easy, actually. 

Yeah... that would work as well.  Each person with a stake in ownership on the board?  Would you allow future 'buy-ins'?  Or just a limited number of shares from the initial purchase? 

The problem, of course, is ongoing contributions over time if the site continues to be a resource drain.

Well, what you would need from each 'owner/share holder' is the initial purchas price, and one year worth of their part of the fees.  Then monthly contributions after that.  If someone fails to make 12 contributions, then they are 'out' as an owner.  of course, that is just one idea.

Back