Maiden supported by Avenged Sevenfold – New Feature & Thrash Hits

Dean81

Prowler
Hi all,

My name’s Dean and I’m a writer on a new music website called Thrash Hits.  Just thought you might like to rub your eyes over our latest feature on Avenged Sevenfold, Maiden’s support-act for the upcoming UK show at Twickenham on July 5.

Here’s the link:

http://www.thrashhits.com/2008/06/avenged-sevenfold-people-might-think-were-a-bunch-of-pompous-asses/

clay_patrick_mcbride4.gif

We also knocked up an Iron Maiden feature a while back so feel free to check it out:

http://www.thrashhits.com/2008/05/iron-maiden-go-to-cannes-for-a-chemical-wedding/

It’s a genuinely good read.  Enjoy!

Let me know what you think.

Dean.

Not a fan, Yax?

I don't mind A7X, I have heard some of their stuff on the radio, and its got potential (IMO).

I still think A7F are pretty damn good and definitely better than most of the other garbage that's being slung out there these days.

Caveat: I didn't start this thread under a thinly disguised pseudonym.

They're decent enough to listen to on CD but i saw them as special guests to Metallica back in 2006 and they were god awful live. Hopefully they will have improved for the twickenham show next month that i'm travelling to.

Jesus H, they look like an exploded version of Trivium...

Jesus H, they look like an exploded version of Trivium...

Yes, they do look like flaming idiots and they have chosen rather asinine names for themselves Per, but the music is quite good.

Avenged Sevenfold's City of Evil is a GREAT album as perfect as an album can get. I've posted the link to MIA before and most of the people here liked it... including some folks who are criticizing them right now... shame on you :p If you've played guitar hero II you've heard beast and the Harlot, Bat Country was on NHL 06 and seriously, at least that album is awesome. Can't speak for their live performances or other material.

Meh, I'm not keen on them, to say the least.  The opened for Guns N' Roses a couple of years ago and didn't seem to go down very well.

According to Musica Metal, the Arena Parco Nord in Bologna was close to being sold out (35,000 people) when Iron Maiden took the stage to a loud roar from the crowd, whereas Avenged Sevenfold was greeted with indifference by most of the audience, despite the band's attempt to liven it up with a cover of
"Walk" by PANTERA.
The exceptionally hot weather was the subject of many jokes by the musicians onstage, many of whom were visibly sunburnt after spending the day in the sun.

source

I understand that the crowd 'greeted with indefference'.  Most of the gigs I've been to, the crowd is there for the main band, and could care less for the opening act.  I'm sure that isn't always the case, but I would guess more often than not.  Anyone have a dif opinion based on recent experience?

Deano said:
To each their own, at this point, G&R should have opened for them........

I don't think you could get G&R to even bother to open a bottle of beer, these days.  :down:

Actually, Immortal got a quite loud reception when they opened for Priest in Trondheim - and I met several people who said they wouldn't have come if it wasn't for Immortal. (But they looked forward to Priest as well). But the majority of course came to see Priest.

Meh, Avenged Sevenfold is pretty overrated, they dont do anything for me. I'd definitely agree with what most people cry for support acts, that is relevant acts to the music we're going to see in the first place!
Also, why Trivium and Avenged Sevenfold? Why not a local band? Surely that would make more sense? I thought the whole idea for these support acts was that Maiden are emulating how they were helped by bands such as Kiss and The Scorpions, surely we should be seeing new hard rock and metal acts supporting who are local to the region, rather than bands such as these who are already doing well and are already popular?

I like that idea, especially as I care neither for Avenged Sevenfold nor Lauren Harris.  Usually in Finland, the promoter chooses the opener from a local band. Usually these bands are well-established with a firm line-up and many albums, but are relatively unknown.  However, I think the problem is that Maiden are touring at a fairly rapid pace, and it would be very difficult for them to co-ordinate their timing, equipment, etc. with the opener when the opener is a different band at every gig.  And sometimes the promoter may not be wanting to organise a local band?

Back