Maiden songs

As it has been duly noted, I have yet to listen to Maiden's entire discography, only listening to 9 of the 15 albums partially

Iron Maiden - Sanctuary, Running Free, Phantom, Charlotte and Iron Maiden
Killers - Wrathchild
The Number of the Beast - Invaders, Prisoner, NOTB, RTTH, Hallowed
Piece of Mind - Flight of Icarus, Trooper
Powerslave - Aces High, 2 Minutes, Powerslave, ROTAM
Somewhere in Time - Wasted Years, Caught Somewhere in Time
Seventh Son - SSOASS, Infinite Dreams, Evil, Madness
AMOLAD - Different World, These Colours Don't Run, Brighter than a thousand suns, fourth track (Can't remember the name, I think it's 'The Pilgrim'

Can anyone enlighten me on some hidden gems from these albums, and anything inbetween NPFTD and DOD (Although I have heard the most obvious from these albums)

Just listen to all the albums from start to finish, mate. You'll find your own gems.

I can say, though, you haven't listened to some of the best songs the band has put out. You're lucky.

Indeed, wise words. Btw, what's your plan, in respect to listening to the remaining albums? And/or how are you listening to them just now? e.g. YouTube, CD, etc. Just curious.

Indeed, wise words. Btw, what's your plan, in respect to listening to the remaining albums? And/or how are you listening to them just now? e.g. YouTube, CD, etc. Just curious.
I'm in the process of collecting all the albums on CD, and then putting them on my phone to listen to when I'm out and about

I'm on my iPad right now, so I'm happy to hear any suggestions that you guys have, so I can search it on YouTube

While repeating my advice, I'll suggest "Alexander the Great" if you really want one right now. It's actually my go-to song when I'm introducing Maiden to people. You cannot go wrong with those melodies and that feel.

Try not to pay attention to the lyrics. They're not the best part of the song. Not saying the lyrics aren't important and you can choose to pay attention to them if you like but they take away from the true power of the song.

And I also agree with listening to the albums from start to finish. That's the best way to do it.

Last edited:
From No Prayer the title track, Run Silent Run Deep and Public Enema are easily the best ones.
Fear of the dark has a few 'gems' such as the title track, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Judas Be My Guide. and my personal favorite The Fugitive.
Like the others, I also recommend to you Alexander The Great.

As all have said, the only way to make sure you're not missing out on anything is by listening to each album from start to finish. If I started listing all the highlights you've been missing, I'd be listing all the remaining tracks from the albums you mentioned, and all the albums you haven't mentioned.

Just be warned that some albums take their time to get into. It took me half a year to find access to The X Factor, but it has been my favourite album ever since.

Yes, agreed --albums from start to finish; I'm not a fan off skipping about between tracks. The CD's can be picked up for peanuts on eBay, so you shouldn't have any bother acquiring the remaining albums you don't have.

Yep, jumping back and forth, picking songs here and there is not the way to go. Listening to a full album from start to finish is the best way to give yourself a glimpse of the band at the time and to get a real appreciation for the full albums. You could start from the self titled and Killers and work your way forward or start with The Final Frontier and work your way backwards through their catalog giving each album individual time and attention.

And it's a great experience having a whole album that's new to you, like a kid at Christmas not knowing what to open first.

Having tried recently myself to listen to the whole discography of a band I didn't know before, I know its a rewarding experience, and, in the same, time, a rather "heavy" one. One needs to allow himself some breathing space, running the risk to ignore brilliant songs just because they don't click immediately. That said, you will discover how rich and varied their catalogue is, and you will have the pleasure to discover that, while you don't like an studio version of a certain song, you can appreciate a certain live rendition. Happy you : you're in front of the most beautiful maiden in the world ; she's still got most of her clothes on, but you've got the right to unveil her.

Yes, agreed --albums from start to finish; I'm not a fan off skipping about between tracks. The CD's can be picked up for peanuts on eBay, so you shouldn't have any bother acquiring the remaining albums you don't have.

Peanuts even? Please give me the www on whatever ebay site you frequent :p

I agree though, am an albums man myself. So definitely the way to go.
And don't be put off by the "negative vibe" often aimed at the 90's Bruce era. Make up your own mind.

EDIT:
Oh and by the way, once you have heard, digested, dissected, devoured, interpreted, discussed, debated, loved, hated etc etc the entire Iron Maiden discography - you still have SIX excellent Bruce Dickinson solo records to look forward to.

Man o man, are you lucky!

Last edited:
Hard to beat those prices but I think even if you want them from new they're like around 7£, very cheap still if you ask me. In the CD shops I frequent Maiden's catalog is almost always on sale.

Or perhaps something a bit more complex...
$T2eC16hHJHcFFkRhtsOlBSFn6)yz)w~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Iron-Maid...?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item3384d279f8

:yes:
Can someone read that text at bottom? Looks like Steve thanking (or encouraging) a journalist or radio DJ.

But it could also be him saying this was the best song that he'd ever written, but unfortunately it was so complex that they'll never play it; he compares it with Alexander the Great and another song that he will write with Adrian and Bruce after they've both left and and returned to the band.

Back