Maiden England and Live at Donington appear on Shirley's mixes discography..

So, this means for sure that Donington show will be the one used for the DVD of the AMOLAD tour? I think that's pretty awful. It was a great show, but when the AMOLAD tour was such a massive undertaking, with the entire album played, it's a shame we don't get the full album live, but only the AMOTB-set list instead. I think some songs, especially Out Of The Shadows, were amazing live.

Do we know if there are any plans of releasing a live-CD that's not the same as the DVD? I hope there were some other recordings made.

Shrike said:
So, this means for sure that Donington will be the live album for the DVD for this tour?

Forgive my lack of brains, but I don't understand what you mean,

The live album? For the DVD? For this tour?
What live album? For what DVD? For which tour?

What do those mixes have to do with the AMOLAD-tour?

By Donington, he means this year`s download festival, and that there`s a possibility that it will be the live recording for this tour.

I seem to recall Bruce saying to the crowd that the Donington Download (2007) show was being recorded for a DVD. 

EDIT:  Yep, just checked again.  During his monologue between The Trooper and Children of the Damned, he says "we are filming this for a DVD to be released sometime, oh, I don't know when."  Doesn't say anything about a live album. 

Forostar said:

I think he meant the last tour, the AMOLAD(or, to be perdantic, AMOTB) tour.

The DVD would be Donington (or "Download") 2007.
However, I dont know whether it will be the live CD as well.

Anyway, whats wrong with Donny 2007? The audio was pretty good for the webcast, just a few usual errors in the choices made for the sound levels for different instruments (dave's guitar was so quiet!). Most of these errors wont turn up on the DVD/CD, as they will have gone through the nights recording and adjusted it accordingly. This is the whole point in producing and mixing it!

However, if the problem is the setlist, then thats your problem. Although, I too would have liked to see the live footage for the entire album rather than the A Matter of the Beast mini-tour, Im not dissapointed, as I guessed this would happen, and Bruce did say during that set.

EDIT: Just checked Shirley's live discography, and he has "Live at Donington '07 (DVD)" listed, so that settles it:
http://www.cavemanproductions.com/live.htm

Forostar said:

Holy christ Maverick Forostar, give it a bit of a break!

Forostar said:

I wrote and re-wrote that pretty late, I can see why you'd have difficulties understanding it. I've edited it for clarity.

What I meant was this: Does this mean that the Donington 07 show will be the DVD-released as a "companion" to AMOLAD, like RIR was to BNW and DOTR to DOD. Also, if it was in any way known if the live CD album would be the same as the DVD like it was before, or if there was any chance of getting at least an audio-only release of the AMOLAD set-list.

It's not that I didn't like the Donington show, it had some great moments. But aside from Children Of The Damned, there was no real stand-out track that wasn't played on the AMOLAD tour. I mean, TNOTB, Wrathchild, The Trooper and RTTH are great tracks, but I have about a zillion live-recordings of each already. Whereas I have no official ones of Out of the Shadows, The Pilgrim, The Legacy, The Longest Day or Lord Of Light.

My problem was with them choosing the AMOTB tour for the DVD instead of the AMOLAD tour. It kind of admits defeat to those who criticised them for not playing the classics. I guess one could argue that the fact that it was Donington justified the choice, but I'm sure they could have found an arena from the AMOLAD tour worth recording.

Hope that clears everything up.

Shrike said:
I wrote and re-wrote that pretty late, I can see why you'd have difficulties understanding it. I've edited it for clarity.

What I meant was this: Does this mean that the Donington 07 show will be the DVD-released as a "companion" to AMOLAD, like RIR was to BNW and DOTR to DOD. Also, if it was in any way known if the live CD album would be the same as the DVD like it was before, or if there was any chance of getting at least an audio-only release of the AMOLAD set-list.

It's not that I didn't like the Donington show, it had some great moments. But aside from Children Of The Damned, there was no real stand-out track that wasn't played on the AMOLAD tour. I mean, TNOTB, Wrathchild, The Trooper and RTTH are great tracks, but I have about a zillion live-recordings of each already. Whereas I have no official ones of Out of the Shadows, The Pilgrim, The Legacy, The Longest Day or Lord Of Light.

My problem was with them choosing the AMOTB tour for the DVD instead of the AMOLAD tour. It kind of admits defeat to those who criticised them for not playing the classics. I guess one could argue that the fact that it was Donington justified the choice, but I'm sure they could have found an arena from the AMOLAD tour worth recording.

Yeah, like I said, Im a bit disappointed in the choice of AMOTB over AMOLAD.
and, yes, it seems very likely this will be the companion to AMOLAD in DVD and CD format.

Shrike said:

It does, thanks! First I honestly thought Kevin's list meant Donington 1992 (which is just like Maiden England & LAD: a released product), a thought which caused my confusion. But it could be 2007 as well, indeed. I remember that the Donington show of 2007 will be used for a DVD (old news!), so that makes sense.

No (official) source ever said that any 2006 AMOLAD show would be used for a DVD, so I never thought about it anymore.

@LC: Mav never talked about his own brains ;)
I thought my reaction was pretty innocent and honest. I didn't understand it, so I asked what he meant.

Forostar said:
It does, thanks! First I honestly thought Kevin's list meant Donington 1992 (which is just like Maiden England & LAD: a released product), a thought which caused my confusion. But it could be 2007 as well, indeed. I remember that the Donington show of 2007 will be used for a DVD (old news!), so that makes sense.

No (official) source ever said that any 2006 AMOLAD show would be used for a DVD, so I never thought about it anymore.

@LC: Mav never talked about his own brains ;)
I thought my reaction was pretty innocent and honest. I didn't understand it, so I asked what he meant.

Its pretty much confirmed its the 2007 show on Shirleys site......

cornfedhick said:
I seem to recall Bruce saying to the crowd that the Donington Download (2007) show was being recorded for a DVD. 

EDIT:  Yep, just checked again.  During his monologue between The Trooper and Children of the Damned, he says "we are filming this for a DVD to be released sometime, oh, I don't know when."  Doesn't say anything about a live album. 
But he didn't say anything about a live album during the Rock in Rio gig either.

Live At Donnington could mean the 1992 gig which was done for video, and when they come to release it for DVD, there could be a new audio mix as well as the original mix done by Shirley just like is happening with Live After Death

The same could happen for Maiden England

seely said:
Live At Donnington could mean the 1992 gig which was done for video, and when they come to release it for DVD, there could be a new audio mix as well as the original mix done by Shirley just like is happening with Live After Death

The same could happen for Maiden England

Yes, thats probably what Maiden England is.
However this page:
shows that it is Donny 2007.
Also, the fact it has Shirley under Mixing, Production and Engineering for both Dolby 2.0 and 5.1 (like for Rock In Rio and Death on the Road) supports this, as has only done the mixing on the 5.1 versions of Live After Death and Maiden England.

Ardius said:
Maiden England.

I wonder if the encore will be added. I'm not sure if it was recorded (I forgot that), but I remember a 1989 interview in which 'Arry stated that Maiden didn't want these tracks on the video because they were already on LAD ("only" 4 years earlier).

Since 2008 is way later (and since we get same tracks every 3 years on live DVD's), this could be an option again.

Hmm, now that I think longer about it, Steve probably never edited the encore, so chances are almost nihil.

Well I for one would like to get the entire performance, including the encore, because this way the video is way too short. BTW I didn't know that Steve also edited Maiden England, I guess that digital technology in the new millenium was the catalyst for his epilepsy-style editing. :D

While I'm at it, too bad that the policy of avoiding the same songs in live releases didn't stick around to this date, I would have loved it if they filmed an  AMOLAD gig from the first part of the tour where they played the entire album.

gulranek said:
Well I for one would like to get the entire performance, including the encore, because this way the video is way too short. BTW I didn't know that Steve also edited Maiden England, I guess that digital technology in the new millenium was the catalyst for his epilepsy-style editing. :D

While I'm at it, too bad that the policy of avoiding the same songs in live releases didn't stick around to this date, I would have loved it if they filmed an  AMOLAD gig from the first part of the tour where they played the entire album.

Yeah, seeing an AMOLAD show with the entire album would be interesting. I read that either it was loved or really hated cuz some people didn't know all 10 songs, just Different World and Benjamin Breeg...they probably thought it was overkill. But H has sone swesome solos on the entire album! That makes it worthwhile for me  :blush:

gulranek said:

:D :D :D

I bought the video for 'Maiden England' today (found it second hand on the market) and it's awesome, though it would be better if it did have the encores, regardless of whether the songs have been released before

Oh, forgot to say this - I just watched a bit of this year's Donington gig, I have to say that Steve's backing vocals during Different World are horrific, sure hope The Caveman edited them out or at least reduced them in volume.

Back