Maiden brain teasers.

Albie

Keeping an open eye on the Weeping Angels.
Here I thought we could share some brain teasers and sort of adapt them to Maiden. So, to kick off I will start with one that was originally presented using the members of a rather famous Irish rock band - but I have altered it for maidenfans.

Maiden have a gig they need to perform that starts in exactly 17 minutes and the stage is the other side of a bridge. It is dark and the bridge is a little unstable and the only way that the band can get across is to use a torch and with no more than two band members crossing the bridge at any one time. However, Bruce has flown there in a jet, the omnipresent H is already there which leaves the remaining four to cross the bridge.

'Arry keeps himself fit and as such can cross the bridge in just 1 minute.
Dave can get across in 2 minutes, but Janik likes his walks and takes 5 minutes (taking in all the sights on his way).
Nicko is a little bit older than the rest and ambles over in a paltry 10 minutes.

The problem we have is that the torch must be carried across in every crossing - back and forth - and can not be thrown back. And if two band members cross (one member can cross on his own if required), they can only cross at the pace of the slower one (i.e. if 'Arry and Nick cross together, it will take them 10 minutes).

Now, put yourself in Rod's shoes and try to get the band to the gig in 17 minutes or under.

Far be it for me to lay down any rules, but if you have the answer it may be best to add the spoiler tags around it so at least someone else can have a go. When we have a few correct answers, I guess it could be down to someone else to have a go at posing another.

And remember, it's just a bit of fun. :D

Dave and Steve cross: 2 minutes.
Steve runs back with torch: 1 minute, total 3.
Nicko and Janick cross: 10 minutes, total 13.
Dave walks back with torch: 2 minutes, total 15.
Dave and Steve cross: 2 minutes, total 17.

Apparently, Microsoft used this poser as part of their tests to find suitable employees (and I assume they meant programmers). I have no source for this, so just go with me on that. ;)

Back