The Saint

Powerslave
Staff member
That's what it is said in here:

Getting Away with Murder

Artist: PAPA ROACH

(Geffen/Universal)

Reviewer: EDWARD GOMEZ

THERE are tolerable rap metal albums and there’re CDs that should be chucked into the trash with the plastic wrapper still intact. There’re good rap metal bands and there’s Limp Bizkit. And then, of course, there’s Papa Roach, an outfit that four years ago managed to sell a truckload of records by simply ripping off an Iron Maiden riff (tell me that that guitar line in Last Resort doesn’t sound like an Adrian Smith outtake).

The song dominated radio play-lists and peaked at No.1 on the Billboard Modern Rock chart. Yet unfortunately, Papa Roach has been attempting to build on that success ever since. Yeah, the band’s next album, lovehatetragedy, managed to shift impressively. However, it’s safe to say that She Loves Me Not (the album’s lead single) was no Last Resort.

Nothing much has changed on the new album. Lead singer Jacoby Shaddix (or should that be Coby Dick?) still can’t rap to save his life. And there still isn’t a song quite as good as the band’s biggest chart smash. So why would anyone bother with Papa Roach’s new record? Well, because Getting Away with Murder is actually not too bad.

There may not be a Last Resort present but cuts like Blood, Scars, Take Me and the decidedly unpatriotic Not Listening are worthy of attention. And even if you don’t care much for the band’s lyrics, you’ve got to check out the killer riffs. Or did I forget to mention that Papa Roach has once again ransacked the Maiden vaults?

I will have to check which riff was stolen this time !

Source: [a href=\'http://www.star-ecentral.com/music/reviews/review.asp?file=archives/music/2004/10/GettingAwaywithMurder&artist=PAPA%20ROACH&title=Getting%20Away%20with%20Murder&sec=Music\' target=\'_blank\']Star Online[/a]

Pfft. Iron Maiden gets ripped off every day of the week. It's a curse of being such an influential and successful band; deal with it. I don't like Papa Roach, but somebody out there does, and I doubt he cares where the riffs come from, so long as he enjoys the music.

Of course, if it's a recurring problem, then it can be something worth getting worked up over, but hey, there are only so many possible ways to use a guitar, and I'll be damned if they haven't all been found out by now.

Don't worry, I've dealt with it [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

It's just that it's fun to see this band denying they've ever ripp anyone off and pretending they've never heard Iron Maiden: the result seem another riff copied.

And since I'm a completist, I need that track (already have the other two by Papa Roach where a clear Maiden riff -in its entirety- can be heard [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

Cheers

I just made the connection. The"Last resort" riff came from Maiden`s" Genghis Khan". Almost identical. Also, "Hallowed be thy name" has a part that is similar, but better.
POSERS! Maiden should sue.

[!--QuoteBegin-where_eddie_dares+Oct 18 2004, 08:55 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(where_eddie_dares @ Oct 18 2004, 08:55 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I just made the connection. The"Last resort" riff came from Maiden`s" Genghis Khan". Almost identical. Also, "Hallowed be thy name" has a part that is similar, but better.
POSERS! Maiden should sue.
[snapback]89434[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Maiden's also practically copied half of Judas Priest's riffs (although modified them somewhat), but they don't get sued over it. Plus, suing doesn't exactly sound like the Maiden way of doing things, does it? I'd much rather see a public insult at a concert than a law suit. [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-SearanoX+Oct 19 2004, 02:47 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SearanoX @ Oct 19 2004, 02:47 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Maiden's also practically copied half of Judas Priest's riffs (although modified them somewhat), but they don't get sued over it.  Plus, suing doesn't exactly sound like the Maiden way of doing things, does it?  I'd much rather see a public insult at a concert than a law suit.  [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]89436[/snapback]​
[/quote]

This is my attempt at humor. [!--emo&:howdy:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wavey.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wavey.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Of course Maiden will not sue. Nor should they. All bands rip each other off in some way or another. By accident, or on purpose. All bands have influences and it will come through sometimes in thier songs.
I do think Papa Roach blows anyway, however.

Dream Theater did that with Metallica and Megadeth in their last album Train of Thought...

[!--QuoteBegin-SearanoX+Oct 19 2004, 08:17 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SearanoX @ Oct 19 2004, 08:17 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Maiden's also practically copied half of Judas Priest's riffs[/quote] [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-SearanoX+Oct 19 2004, 02:47 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SearanoX @ Oct 19 2004, 02:47 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Maiden's also practically copied half of Judas Priest's riffs (although modified them somewhat), but they don't get sued over it.  Plus, suing doesn't exactly sound like the Maiden way of doing things, does it?  I'd much rather see a public insult at a concert than a law suit.  [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]89436[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Umm... what songs? Some examples for me, because I cant belive this!

Actually the thing is that every band rips everyother band off... everything has a link to another song. The thing is to try to listen songs as indivituals, not seeking something that someone has already done. If everyone were seeking these things it would take so much enjoyment from listening to the song and that just sucks. Someone somwhere sayd that the riff in The Wickerman sounds like some priest song, but for me they aren't even close. I mean, they're sounding a little bit of the same, but if you look at the songs they're not even close. At least not in my opinion. This sort of crap always annoys me and Im sorry if i have offended someone, but please, this is just bollocks [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-IndianaJones+Oct 21 2004, 10:44 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IndianaJones @ Oct 21 2004, 10:44 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Umm... what songs? Some examples for me, because I cant belive this!

Actually the thing is that every band rips everyother band off... everything has a link to another song. The thing is to try to listen songs as indivituals, not seeking something that someone has already done. If everyone were seeking these things it would take so much enjoyment from listening to the song and that just sucks. Someone somwhere sayd that the riff in The Wickerman sounds like some priest song, but for me they aren't even close. I mean, they're sounding a little bit of the same, but if you look at the songs they're not even close. At least not in my opinion. This sort of crap always annoys me and Im sorry if i have offended someone, but please, this is just bollocks [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]89809[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Okay, I phrased myself badly. What I meant to say, more or less, is that Maiden has taken Judas' work and expanded upon it. Judas Priest is one of their major influences, and many of the riffs sound much like Judas', even if they aren't exactly the same in terms of notes played and guitar sound. The galloping rhythm in The Trooper, for instance, reminds me of several Judas Priest songs (which I cannot name right now, because I don't have any of their music on-hand at the moment; I'll find some when I do later on).

I don't really care if Maiden have taken Judas' ideas as well, because, hey, someone had to do it. Might as well get a kickass band to do it rather than a garbage one.

[!--QuoteBegin-SearanoX+Oct 21 2004, 06:48 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SearanoX @ Oct 21 2004, 06:48 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Okay, I phrased myself badly.  What I meant to say, more or less, is that Maiden has taken Judas' work and expanded upon it.  Judas Priest is one of their major influences, and many of the riffs sound much like Judas', even if they aren't exactly the same in terms of notes played and guitar sound.  The galloping rhythm in The Trooper, for instance, reminds me of several Judas Priest songs (which I cannot name right now, because I don't have any of their music on-hand at the moment; I'll find some when I do later on).

I don't really care if Maiden have taken Judas' ideas as well, because, hey, someone had to do it.  Might as well get a kickass band to do it rather than a garbage one.
[snapback]89821[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Uhm... I seriously think that this is not the case. As far as I see, there are certain stuff in metal/hard rock music that are used quite often, and one is the galloping rythm stuff. In my opinion Priest and Maiden are totally different bands. Priest's music is more about riffs and maiden is more about the music. I mean Maiden may not have so straight forward riffs, and it is more based on simple power chords. Ofcouse there are riffs, but as in general. And ofcourse there is somewhat samealike sounding things, but as I stated so is everywhere. I should make my mumblings clearer : Maiden may have been infuented a little by the Priest (and who wouldn't at that time when Maiden started), but they sound so totally different that there cant be any copying going on. Well, not at least in my opinion.
But what the heck I know, I live in Finland and my brain may have been frozen
[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-SearanoX+Oct 19 2004, 01:22 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SearanoX @ Oct 19 2004, 01:22 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It's a curse of being such an influential and successful band; deal with it.  I don't like Papa Roach, but somebody out there does, and I doubt he cares where the riffs come from, so long as he enjoys the music.
[snapback]89427[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I'm going to admit I do like some of Papa Roach's music

There's 7 notes in a standard Western scale. There's only so much you can do with those. You can't write a new riff. Someone has always done it before you.

Although I'm not denying that Papa Roach ripped Maiden off. I wouldn't be surprised but bear in mind that it could also be a coincedence.

[!--QuoteBegin-The Ancient Mariner+Oct 23 2004, 02:44 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The Ancient Mariner @ Oct 23 2004, 02:44 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]There's 7 notes in a standard Western scale.  There's only so much you can do with those.  You can't write a new riff.  Someone has always done it before you.

Although I'm not denying that Papa Roach ripped Maiden off.  I wouldn't be surprised but bear in mind that it could also be a coincedence.
[snapback]89940[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Coincidence.... With two riffs taken from Maiden on the SAME album ? Far-fetched.

As for that last album, still haven't heard it.

Cheers

There is a difference between INFLUENCED and RIPPED OFF. you can be influenced by anybody, a metal band can be influenced by a jazz player and a rapper by a rock star.... But it usually sticks to the same Genre. Maiden's galloping rhythem can be easily detectable in a lot of Iced Earth's work and Sonata Artica, is it a rip off? No, because the their songs are very original.

Papa Roach are actually cool I dig and seen them live they rip...

As for ripping riffs anyone heard of Exhumer they were a rip off, and if you go back you can clearly hear maiden Influences from groups back uin early 70's..

Wouldnt call Papa roach a rip off band and there new cd is good more metal than rap..

Listen more to the new Papa Roach CD and there a few influences but not blindly like the Last Resort song

Sorry but I dont agree with this post

i don't find the similarity between getting away with murder and maiden

on last resort it's something else... it's the same riff as infinite dreams, but it's not like it's just iron maiden who has used that 'structure' on a riff just that they use it more and it's allways perfect

but still papa roach is ok imo, is not the same song, just a little from it, doesn't matter... move on with your life

I maintain what I said, for a simple reason: when you have two or three riffs on a same album, it's no longer a simple influence.

That's why, I have a doubt over their honesty on their new album.

Cheers

Back