Lord of Light and other books

Well I can make you a list of Maiden songs that share titles with books and narratives:

Then some with obvious and stated inspiration and other tidbits:

William Shakespeare - Julius Caesar (The Ides of March, The Evil That Men Do)
The Evil That Men Do is also the title of several books.

The Evil That Men Do is also the title of several books.
Cried, are you aware of the plots of (if possible) all these books? Then we could see/rule out if the lyrics of the song have anything to do with these.
If not, then first I could search for Maiden interviews and if I can't find anything clear, then we could do an attempt to dig up these plots.

Cried, are you aware of the plots of (if possible) all these books? Then we could see/rule out if the lyrics of the song have anything to do with these.
If not, then first I could search for Maiden interviews and if I can't find anything clear, then we could do an attempt to dig up these plots.
There's also the Charles Bronson film, of the same name, from 1984...

let's see if we can make a complete list of books, which were direct sources of inspiration for Maiden (so no works where films were the inspiration instead of the books they were based on).
I came up with these these nine songs, based on literature.

01) Hindu philosophy, works of Crowley and an excerpt of an English hymnal, written by G. K. Chesterton (1874–1936) (Revelations); (it's hardly about Revelations, the Biblical text)
02) Fable of Icarus (as told by Pseudo-Apollodorus) (Flight of Icarus)
03) Alfred, Lord Tennyson - The Charge of the Light Brigade (The Trooper)
04) Frank Herbert - Dune (To Tame a Land)
05) Samuel Taylor Coleridge - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
06) Aleister Crowley - Moonchild
07) Orson Scott Card - The Seventh Son - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
08) William Golding - Lord of the Flies
09) Aldous Huxley - Brave New World

Leaving all other songs out was not that obvious in some cases. Of course I am willing to explain about leaving out a particular track if someone is interested.

Last edited:
Back