Lord Iffy Boatrace

spalec

Invader
I just won these books on ebay, and got them today.

Has anyone read them? I've wanted to read them for ages but never found them. Bruce's sense of humour has always been rather similar to mine.

(apologies if this is the wrong forum, move it somewhere else if you think it'd be better there)

I haven't read the books, but as I said elsewhere, they were not exactly critically acclaimed. In fact, I remember reading a critique in which the reviewer stated that it was the worst thing he ever read. Before you all cry that this is because the reviewer was biased against heavy metal musicians, I'm afraid that wasn't so. To further add, I have also heard from Bruce/Maiden fans who thought the books were... not exactly good. Also, a book doesn't just get out of print for nothing...

Make your own judgement (that's the best thing anyway), but I just wanted to warn you that you shouldn't expect too much.

[!--quoteo(post=132130:date=Mar 15 2006, 06:50 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Mar 15 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]132130[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Make your own judgement (that's the best thing anyway), but I just wanted to warn you that you shouldn't expect too much.
[/quote]
I have to agree with you there. Take the book for what it is, I did find it a simple and OK read.

Apparently, it is quite similar in writing to Tom Sharpe novels - but I've not read any of his stuff so won't pass judgment.

[!--quoteo(post=132130:date=Mar 15 2006, 01:50 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Mar 15 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]132130[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Also, a book doesn't just get out of print for nothing...
[/quote]

No. Often bad reviews fuled by low expectations and poor marketing will do the trick.

I haven't read Bruce's books so I don't know if they're any good. But I would be more cautious in inferring from the fact that they are out of print to the conclusion that they are no good. Whether a book stays in print is almost entirely a factor of how much it sells; and sales are affected by many more things than just the quality of the book.

Obvious, I know, but it seemed worth pointing out.

Back