Looking to expand my taste in music, guys think you can help me out?

DJ James

A coma stole my name.
Here are some bands I already plan to explore:
Overkill
Iron Maiden
Rush
Dream Theater
Black Sabbath
Symphony X
Yes
Blue Oyster Cult
Gamma Ray
Helloween
Queen
Stratovarius
Primus
Anthrax
Blackfoot
Blind Guardian
Daft Punk
Diamond Head
Dire Straits
Dio
Dragonforce
Fates Warning
Hawkwind
Iced Earth
Judas Priest
KISS
Kreator
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Megadeth
Metallica
Pink Floyd
Queensryche
Racer X
Rhapsody of Fire
Slayer
UFO

So yeah, on top of the bands I plan to add maybe 5 more bands or so. Guys got any suggestions?

I started back in May, completed Overkill working on BOC right now. Yeah I've realized that this isnt gonna be something I do in a month or so, thanks for pointing me to the right thread.

Honestly, I think you should go through that list as slowly as possible. Depth >>>> breadth.

Also, familiarize yourself with "the most dangerous band in the world*"

* LOL. Such a dumb nickname.

Jethro Tull
Some time after you've done Judas Priest: Fight & Halford (both with Rob Halford on vocals)

Aren't you already well into Maiden?

Some bands not on that list that I'd recommend:
As I Lay Dying
In Flames
Dimmu Borgir
Uriah Heep
HIM
Mushroomhead
Gojira
Children Of Bodom
Mastodon
Triptykon
Dredg
Porcupine Tree
Styx
The Moody Blues
MC5
Hawthorne Heights
Scorpions
Avenged Sevenfold
Lacuna Coil
Within Temptation
Nightwish
Cannibal Corpse
Dragonland
Fairyland

If you really like Maiden, you''ll like Machine Men.They started as an Iron Maiden tribute,but evolved into their own identity.They broke up last year, but they have several albums out,all of which are very good.Soaring vocals,lots of guitar harmonies,and no cookie monster style singing.

Listen to nothing but Iron Maiden, everything they have recorded, until you are one with the music. Only then can you begin to explore other bands.
I've already done this a few times, but since I was already going to listen to so many other bands I thought: what the hell, why not?

I've already done this a few times, but since I was already going to listen to so many other bands I thought: what the hell, why not?
Then why do you have Maiden listed under bands you "plan to explore"? That makes it sound like those are bands you're not very familiar with and that you plan on checking their music out.

Then why do you have Maiden listed under bands you "plan to explore"? That makes it sound like those are bands you're not very familiar with and that you plan on checking their music out.
Sorry for the confusion, I keep a list of bands that I plan to explore in a notepad file on my computer and I just decided to copy and paste that list onto here. There are some bands on here that I already have a great deal of knowledge on, but its fun to go back through bands and re-explore their discographies because each time I'll probably find a few more songs I missed the last few times I went through them(last time I went through Maiden, I discovered Innocent Exile, the Unbeliever, the Thin Line Between Love and Hate, and generally awesome not so popular songs).

Hardcore Superstar

Best band ever. Start with their fourth album - self-titled Hardcore Superstar from 2005. Critics described it as an Appetite for Destruction of the 2000's. Follow ups Dreamin' In A Casket and Beg For It is on the same level.

Back