Long Songs

Conor said:
SMX, can you calculate the average length without your live versions?  It would make a good addition to the statistics thread ;)
Average length of all Maiden studio tracks, including b-sides: 5:29

Hehe, I thing that the bad sign is when I am forced to turn a long song off or skip it or whatever. There may be two reasons:

1) I'm not in a proper mood
2) The song is too long. Probably too repetitive or something like that. I have no problem listening to classical music or other long pieces if there is some kind of progression and variation.

Right now I'm listening to Seventh Son of a Sevent Son - almost ten minutes and no problem. I like long pieces because of the creativity needed to make them interesting. So for me, a long song is probably a boring song (with no relation to the actual length :) When I create a playlist, I usually choose by a mood, not by a length, maybe I should try that someday :)

Funny how that lower range tends to cluster around 3:30 regardless of genre...

...and I hate to bring it up (because it gives me nightmares) but being long does not a good song make. Just look at Metallica's St. Anger...  ::)

I don't know, there are people who venture to say that if it weren't for the name "Metallica" on the cover, it could actually be a decent nü metal album. I'm not one of them, since I'm of the opinion that ALL nü metal sucks, so a decent nü metal album is still crap :D.

OK, out of idle curiosity, I took a look at the tracks on my computer and found the following are the longest tracks I've got.
Let's see how many are longer than anything by Iron Maiden...

Omitted: classical music, live recordings, tracks which contain more than one song, non-musical material.
To shorten the vertical length of this post, only the longest song by each artist is printed full-size; all others are made small.

1. Jethro Tull, "A Passion Play" - 44:58
2. Jethro Tull, "Thick As A Brick" - 43:36
3. Monster Magnet, "Tab 25" - 32:14
4. Symphony X, "The Odyssey" - 24:14
5. Dream Theater, "Octavarium" - 23:59
6. Pink Floyd, "Atom Heart Mother Suite" - 23:37
7. Pink Floyd, "Echoes" - 23:28
8. Spock's Beard, "The Water" - 23:10
9. Dream Theater, "A Change Of Seasons" - 23:08
10. Genesis, "Supper's Ready" - 22:58
11. Fates Warning, "The Ivory Gate Of Dreams" - 21:58
12. Yes, "The Gates Of Delirium" - 21:54
13. Yes, "Ritual" - 21:31
14. Flower Kings, "Monsters & Men" - 21:19
15. Frank Zappa, "The Adventures Of Greggary Peccary" - 20:50
16. Symphony X, "The Divine Wings Of Tragedy" - 20:42
17. Rush, "2112" - 20:37
18. Yes, "The Remembering" - 20:32
19. Yes, "The Revealing Science Of God" - 20:23
20. Rush, "The Fountain Of Lamneth" - 20:00
21. Flower Kings, "Love Supreme" - 19:43
22. Yes, "That, That Is" - 19:15

23. Rhapsody, "Gargoyles, Angels Of Darkness" - 19:02
24. Yes, "Close To The Edge" - 18:46
25. Frank Zappa, "Little House That I Used To Live In" - 18:41

26. Charles Mingus, "Trio And Group Dancers" - 18:38
27. Yes, "Mind Drive" - 18:38
28. Porcupine Tree, "The Sky Moves Sideways, Phase 1" - 18:37
29. Yes, "The Ancient" - 18:32
30. Edguy, "The Kingdom" - 18:23
31. Flower Kings, "Drivers Seat" - 18:20
32. Rush, "Cygnus X-1 Book II" - 18:10
33. Frank Zappa, "N-Lite" - 18:00
34. Frank Zappa, "Big Swifty" - 17:22
35. Pink Floyd, "Dogs" - 17:08
36. Frank Zappa, "The Gumbo Variations" - 16:57

37. Liquid Tension Experiment, "When The Water Breaks" - 16:57
38. Porcupine Tree, "The Sky Moves Sideways, Phase 2" - 16:44
39. Iced Earth, "Dante's Inferno" - 16:29
40. Spock's Beard, "Time Has Come" - 16:22
41. Porcupine Tree, "Moonloop" - 16:17

42. Kansas, "Incomudro: Hymn To The Atman" - 16:10
43. Fates Warning, "Still Remains" - 16:06
44. Spock's Beard, "Flow" - 15:50

45. Tool, "Disgustipated" - 15:47
46. Riverside, "Second Life Syndrome" - 15:40
47. Stars On 45 (1981 single) - 15:34
48. Anglagard, "Hoestsejd" - 15:33
49. Spock's Beard, "The Light" - 15:32
50. Yes, "Awaken" - 15:28
51. Frank Zappa, "Beat The Reaper" - 15:23

52. Ars Nova, "Trust To The Future" - 15:21
53. Funkadelic, "(Not Just) Knee Deep" - 15:21
54. Gamma Ray, "Heading For Tomorrow" - 14:31
55. Dream Theater, "In The Name Of God" - 14:14
56. Porcupine Tree, "Metanoia I: Intermediate Jesus" - 14:14

57. The Tea Party, "Walk With Me" - 14:14
58. Edguy, "Theater Of Salvation" - 14:10
59. Blind Guardian, "And Then There Was Silence" - 14:07
60. Helloween, "The King For 1000 Years" - 13:54
61. Dream Theater, "The Glass Prison" - 13:52
62. Opeth, "By The Pain I See In Others" - 13:50
63. Tool, "Third Eye" - 13:47
64. Dream Theater, "The Great Debate" - 13:45
65. Rhapsody, "Queen Of The Dark Horizons" - 13:44

66. Iron Maiden, "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner" - 13:41

My point?
Ermm...
Hey, look over there, a three-legged dog!

I wouldn't know what a decent nu-metal album sounds like...  ;)

The longest song I've got is Manowar's 28:39 epic 'Achilles: Agony And Ecstasy In Eight Parts'. That would put it fourth on your list.

After that is Nirvana's Something In The Way, but only because it's really two songs with about twelve minutes of space between them... :p

Then there is Black Sabbath's 'A Bit Of Finger/Sleeping Village/Warning'. I guess it's three songs, but you wouldn't really know it by listening.

The only other song longer than Rime Of The Ancient MAriner is Scorpions 13:31 epic 'Lonesome Crow', which is a little lacking and drawn out but still decent...

Amazingly, the next two longest songs I have are, by of all bands, Boston! The title tracks from Walk On (12:22) and Don't Look Back (12:06). I compiled them together, because on the albums they are split into four and three tracks, respectively, but realistically, they're both really one song that was just divided up for the CD release: mind you, these originally came out on vinyl so they pretty much played as one song.

ADDENDUM: I just now noticed I have three Metallica songs that are exactly 9:48 : To Live Is To Die, And Justice For All, and The Outlaw Torn. Not sure those are the 'official' figures, but... still funny how that works out.

Thanks Albie, Unfortunately that, along with Savage Poetry, are 38-40 dollar imports so for the first time I shall purchase a "cd" online for only $10. I feel so dirty though... :(

I can't believe SMX missed "In A Gadda Da Vida" by Iron Butterfly...  :huh:

Perun said:
I can't believe SMX missed "In A Gadda Da Vida" by Iron Butterfly...  :huh:

There's a reason for that...

SinisterMinisterX said:
OK, out of idle curiosity, I took a look at the tracks on my computer and found the following are the longest tracks I've got.

I have "In A Gadda Da Vida" on CD, but not on my computer.

Neither can I... why not upload it to your computer? That's where all my music comes from, uploaded cds.

I have ripped the tracks from a few hundred of my CDs, but that's still only about a third of my CD collection. I think I have about 700 CDs unripped. And the reason that Iron Butterfly remains unripped is because I haven't listened to it since Clinton was president.

I mean, let's be honest... "In A Gadda Da Vida" is just an overly-drawn out novelty song. It's really not all that good.

SinisterMinisterX said:
I mean, let's be honest... "In A Gadda Da Vida" is just an overly-drawn out novelty song. It's really not all that good.
Slayer covering it and making it last less than 4 minutes is the ideal alternative. ;)

Albie said:
Slayer covering it and making it last less than 4 minutes is the ideal alternative. ;)

I haven't actually heard that cover.  I could imagine them going 'Hell Awaits' on it and getting all 15 minutes of song in there, without cutting anything out.... :p

It's a pretty good cover. It's from the Less Than Zero soundtrack, one of the best soundtrack albums ever. (And another CD I own but haven't ripped to computer yet.)

Albie said:
Or to the more nerdy metal fans, Blind Guardian's cover on the single for Fly is the alternative to the alternative.

Anyone familiar to My Dying Bride would smile if he/she knows that Maiden's latest album is actually LONGER (average songlength as well!) than My Dying Bride's latest ! :)

I have countless favorite long songs (e.g. Helloween, Rush, Pink Floyd, Iced Earth and of course Iron Maiden come to mind).

Right now, I'll just mention Janick Gers' band White Spirit.
They made a great long song, called:

Fool For The Gods

Two words: GET IT

Epic - great melodies -  dramatic and emotional.
Astounding music for the year 1980. It has about the same length and epical status as the track Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

Back