Live After Death

Murders In The Rue Morgue was played in Hammersmith on the World Slavery tour.  I wonder why the boys didn't include it on Live After Death with the other Hammersmith tracks...

And considering it was a tour to promote Powerslave, a bit weird not to include Losfer Words on the album.  Again, a classic track and the boys delivered a searing version in Hammersmith...

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
Understood...

...but they bundled a few tracks on the end of the Long Beach recording and I wonder how they reached a decision on which songs to omit.

I suppose it had to do with the way the songs worked live. As good as the performances of Murders... and Losfer are, the ones included on Live After Death just perfectly serve to show what a Maiden gig is all about.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
...but they bundled a few tracks on the end of the Long Beach recording and I wonder how they reached a decision on which songs to omit.
I guess Martin Birch's "Live Recording Thoughts" may explain some of this.

What I don't understand is with the CD reissue why they didn't include Sanctuary, Murders, and Losfer Words on the 2nd disc with the other Hammersmith songs.

Forostar said:
Those songs were used as b-sides. Sounds logical in my ears.
Indeed they were - and if you are lucky enough to own the "First 10 Years" collection on CD (or more importantly, VII), you will have them on CD anyway.

However, if they were B-Sides, then there could be an argument to have them included - after all, that is what "Total Eclipse" was.

Albie said:
Indeed they were - and if you are lucky enough to own the "First 10 Years" collection on CD (or more importantly, VII), you will have them on CD anyway.

However, if they were B-Sides, then there could be an argument to have them included - after all, that is what "Total Eclipse" was.

Alright, but then Maiden would've needed 3 LP's. ;)

Forostar said:
Alright, but then Maiden would've needed 3 LP's. ;)
Ah, I meant on the CD re-issue. I think the second CD could have had those extra couple of tracks. :)

As for the original - yes, to have all that bundled on the vinyl will have stretched it to a triple album.

It is indeed a bit questionable why they didn't do that. The first argument I could think of is that they didn't want to destroy/alter the original feel of the album; although they did that with the first three. Not to mention that many great bands used the CD age to turn their defining live albums into something bigger and perhaps better: The Who (Live At Leeds) or Deep Purple (Made In Japan) spring to mind.

Agreed Perun, I had the same thought.

So, like you say:
In a way they kept the identity of Live After Death "alive". Those tracks were never on the famous live album and perhaps they will never be.

On the other hand: they did release Sanctuary, Twilight Zone and Total Eclipse on later cd-releases, worldwide.

Also think about the singles from that era: Maybe they wanted to keep the single releases as special as they were/are.

The original release of Live After Death was the first Maiden I heard, back in 86.  As it was my first experience of Maiden, every song on the double album blew me away and each track achieved permanent iconic status in my brain...they are all classics.

I just feel that because Murders In The Rue Morgue and Losfer Words were not included on the orginal release, to me they are both brilliant songs, but they do not reach the same lofty heights as the others.

...but if they were on the original release I am sure my mind would consider them classics.

I kind of feel those two songs were ripped off and missed the chance to be part of a classic album. 

Albie said:

I think the difference with TE is that TE was intended to be on TNOTB, and only excluded due to the technical limitations of the era (i.e. you can only fit so much on one vinyl platter). I've never heard any comment from the band to the effect that MITRM or LW was intended to appear on LAD, and only held back because of technical limitations.

SinisterMinisterX said:
I think the difference with TE is that TE was intended to be on TNOTB, and only excluded due to the technical limitations of the era (i.e. you can only fit so much on one vinyl platter).

Nope, this had nothing to do with technical limitations. They made a mistake by selecting 'Total Eclipse' as a B-side and it seems there was a lot of time-pressure -->

From the offical biography:

For Adrian, "Number of the Beast was definitely the best Maiden album, up to that point. The songs were all there and there was a much fatter sound." Steve Harris, however, isn't so sure: "I loved Number of the Beast, but I didn't think it was our best album at the time, and I still don't. There's a couple of tracks on it which I think are not quite so good, and one of them is one of the ones I wrote!" The two tracks Steve is referring to are Adrian's Clive-assisted stomper, 'Gangland, and 'Invaders', which Steve wrote himself. "'Gangland' was, like, Clive's first attempt at songwriting," he explains, "and I should have just put my foot down and said, 'Look, this is a B-side,' because it should have been, really." Steve says that he would have preferred to see 'Gangland' replaced by a track that he and Davey had written (also with help from Clive) called 'Total Eclipse', which was used instead as the B-side of the first single from the album, 'Run To The Hills'.

"What happened was that we needed a single quickly, because we had a new singer and we had a British tour booked and ready to go, and it didn't look like the album was gonna be ready in time for it, so we badly needed a single out to try and cover all those bases," says Steve. "We just chose the wrong track as the B-side. I think if 'Total Eclipse' had been on the album instead of 'Gangland', it would have been far better. Also, I think 'Invaders' maybe could have been replaced with something a bit better, only we didn't have anything else to replace it with at the time. We had just enough time to do what we did, and that was it."

Unfortunately, as Bruce says, "What we gained on the swings we lost on the roundabouts, and when it actually came to the recording it was all done in one mad, unholy rush." In fact, because of the time it had taken to write all the new material, the album was recorded and mixed at Battery Studios in just five weeks, including a break after the first week to record and mix 'Run To The Hills' and 'Total Eclipse', so that they could get a single out quickly, before returning to complete the rest of the recording as quickly as they could.

"We had to pick the single before we recorded anything, because of the schedule," he continues. "We were, like, 'Oh, fucking hell! We haven't recorded any of the songs yet. How do we know which one will be a good single?' I mean, they were all such killer songs on Number of the Beast, we could easily have picked the wrong track completely. But the schedule said we had to pick a single, and so we asked Martin what he thought and he said 'Run To The Hills'. So, thanks to Martin's prize-winning ears, that's what we did, and it turned out to be exactly the right choice."

SinisterMinisterX said:
I've never heard any comment from the band to the effect that MITRM or LW was intended to appear on LAD, and only held back because of technical limitations.

Well, I remember I've read that they did the most that they could with the double LP format, back then.
25 minutes per side was really the max. So:

-Yes, they definitely couldn't put more on the double LP
-No, I guess releasing a triple LP was unlikely, besides:
-Yes, they had "space" for those two tracks anyway: B-sides!

;)

SinisterMinisterX said:
I think the difference with TE is that TE was intended to be on TNOTB, and only excluded due to the technical limitations of the era (i.e. you can only fit so much on one vinyl platter). I've never heard any comment from the band to the effect that MITRM or LW was intended to appear on LAD, and only held back because of technical limitations.

Was Murders in the Rue Morgue played at one of the Long Beach shows?  I know Losfer Words was, but I don't recall seing MitRM on any setlists... :S

Back