Lineups, Live Songs and Productivity in the 1970s

I wrote Martin Bushell to ask him about his involvement with Maiden and he was actually a member of the band! He auditioned for them in May '79, replacing Paul Cairns, and in his own words he "got the job". He only took part in rehearsals.

Bushell is never mentioned in any offical biography.

I wrote Martin Bushell to ask him about his involvement with Maiden and he was actually a member of the band! He auditioned for them in May '79, replacing Paul Cairns, and in his own words he "got the job". He only took part in rehearsals.

Bushell is never mentioned in any offical biography.

Thanks for the information!

Did he tell you why he was kicked out of the band?

Just saying, you'ld imagine that if he was great they'd have kept him in the band and played a few gigs.
Obviously he was competent enough to play on albums later - and kind enough to respond here, and to lira's questions as well.

There were a couple more songs who disappeared from the set list... The funky (almost reggae) Floating song, banned in 1978 and returning in 1981 in hm style as Purgatory. Also Burning Ambition in 1979, being replaced by Running Free.

I'm sure most of you know, but there is there is a snippet of Floating (apparently from the Harrow, Barking on June 18th 1977) on YouTube.
It's sounds rather un-Maiden to say the least, but that's what's fascinating with these archeological digs into the dark ages of Maiden.

My impression is that Maidens sound transformed rather significantly when Di'Anno joined: Less bluesy/groovy elements (in the vein of Wishbone Ash) more speed and aggression.

hey @lira.

I've been doing a little research on Highway Road in Time, as I'm a bit curious about how I heard that it's related to Black Bart Blues.

I checked all the Maiden books I have and I couldn't find a mention of it.

I found this thread by searching google, https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/maiden_fans_united/little-quiz-from-1978-t22303-s15.html , and you mention it here, and I obviously saw this thread as there's a post from me later on in the thread, so it must be how I came about the information.

I also found this post from 1998!

which seems to be a copy of this page, http://www.oocities.org/tobiassandberg/collection1.html

Does anyone know who Tobias Sandberg is? Presumably he's some sort of collector, maybe he could shed some light on how he heard Highway Road in Time was reused for Black Bart Blues.

Last edited:
Back