Limited Edition of The Final Frontier and Linux

Belenor

Trooper
Well, I bought it an hour ago, rushed home to check the bonus content and oops: Linux seems not to be supported.

So all those without Windows and Mac, beware before purchase :)

Just two questions:

1) Is anybody here with Linux who managed to make it work?
2) Am I wrong to request a support of Linux? Should not be a problem, I think, because the widget is based on flash and java, both no problem on Linux, actually, just some more work was needed in CD verification (this is the step the widget does not work), so I find it quite stupid that Linux is not supported.

That spoiled my day :-(

I'm on Linux and could not get it working - I had to run it on my WinXP box. But you are right, it's not much to ask them to support Linux. Yes I know it comes in different flavours etc, but they only need to test it will work in one or two.

I haven't bought the CD yet (13:34 at the moment, 4 pm end of work, cruise downtown and  :shred: ). However i've checked that site, and Java applet requires CD to be inserted. Now, it all depends what that applet wants with the CD. If it just wants to read a certain file, they should've used listRoots() to detect your CD drive, therefore try mounting the data part of the CD somewhere prior. Entry in /etc/fstab could be helpful also.

If they have the code somewhere outside of any file system on the CD (eg. just a bunch of binary data somewhere), then you're out of luck...you need low-level API functions to make raw I/O, and that's not very portable.

Altrough it works on OSX...which means that if there are any low-level I/O fx calls, those are POSIX ones.
Too bad that Linux is a big ugly patchkit with no POSIX compliance.  :D

I'll try on FreeBSD @ work tommorow and then report. I know some Java and i'll try to debug the issue if it persists.

In the applets FAQ:

What is the recommended PC/Mac operating System for this widget?

This widget works on Windows XP and Vista, so if you're using those you should have no problems. For Apple Mac computers, please make sure you are using MAC OS 10.5 or above. The widget will not work on Linux machines.

I'm not going to attempt to hard to get this working (if at all) as the video we all want to see is not even complete anyway.

Well, I tried mounted and unmounted, both failed. It seems there is no special file on the disk, so probably some binary data as you mentioned, Zare. Well, I guess it actually depends on what java can or cannot do regarding the direct access. I guess quite a lot in these days?

It seems that the easiest way would be some version of Windows, eh? Ok, it can be done. I tried to write to the applet developer using the box in the FAQ, but I'm not overly optimistic about this.

In Windows, no problem encountered. I got an idea to try Firefox cookies from Windows on linux, gonna try tomorrow, now going to bed :)

Virtual box does the trick, set the cd drive in pass through mode in your VB settings (host is Debian Squeeze, guest is win XP)
Unfortunately that still doesn't seem to enjoy the video in linux, but at least you can get to the wallpapers, the game is also playable in VB if your machine can handle it

Edit: forgot to mention it, I have the 'Mission Edition'

I did try it using Wine and loading Windows Firefox, but I could not get flash player working. Then I tried to load IE in Wine - and that was even worse (oh, why did I bother).

Belenor said:
In Windows, no problem encountered. I got an idea to try Firefox cookies from Windows on linux, gonna try tomorrow, now going to bed :)

Works :) I copied cookies and now can watch videos under linux, so RedCom, maybe this will help you too? Copy from vb to linux :)

Albie: well, I was thinking about wine for a brief moment, but gave up even before trying :)

Back