Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

So... is this a coming out? Or...?
I was joking about a fine distinction between “girls” and “women”, but in hindsight it was not a very good joke. I am pan, but I’m in a happy relationship with my girlfriend and that’s cool jams for me.

One of the better songs off that last album, indeed, at least in my book. Some very cool weirdness there.
(on my first listen I genuinely stopped and wondered whether they actually used microtonality or what the fuck)

It’s actually one of my least favorites from the album, but only because I think the whole of the record is incredibly strong. “Pan” takes Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum, melds them together, and then flips them on their heads. It’s a pretty cool song with some heavy, heavy riffing and a highly memorable bridge.

It’s actually one of my least favorites from the album, but only because I think the whole of the record is incredibly strong. “Pan” takes Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum, melds them together, and then flips them on their heads. It’s a pretty cool song with some heavy, heavy riffing and a highly memorable bridge.

I need to give the album another proper listen one of these days, I guess. I wonder how much of my attitude towards it was formed because of the opening track and the second CD.

Oh, the second CD. Yeah, it's nice, I admit as much, but you really won't buy me with cheap Hollywood-isms. I mean, film music is already a watered-down version of classical music proper (even the best of the best, like Shore's LOTR soundtrack which I love and cherish and protect and study and recommend is still very.... static and underdeveloped in a way, if you look at it really mercilessly) and this is just further down, because it even lacks the narrative aspect.

I know you liked it a lot (and like I said, I liked it as well, in a way), but Tuomas' pretensions which already rubbed me the wrong way on the last album, combined with everything... Dunno, just couldn't really get into it.

But Once, I'll go back and possibly like it. Or at least like it more.

I don't know, it's just... you know, Floor is actually probably better at what she's doing than Tarja was - they are both classical-types, but Tarja is more of a operatic, power type (and she's good, but not exceptional in that regard) whereas Floor is more of the "chamber" approach, which many people actually prefer and I admit that she's flabbergasting at that. So yes, you could say she's technically better (I still insist that Tarja's more unique in the metal paradigm and has a more intriguing timbre + I always liked more flat power myself), but the whole band...

...with Tarja, there was the magic and the mystery which I miss nowadays. With Anette there was this liveliness and perkiness that she brought + possibly the peak of Holopainen's experimental, yet still condensed and well-written songwriting.

And when they got Floor, who is actually possibly the best of the lot (in a way), dunno, they just keep disappointing me. And now Marco's gone.

Whatever, rant over.

Oh, the second CD. Yeah, it's nice, I admit as much, but you really won't buy me with cheap Hollywood-isms. I mean, film music is already a watered-down version of classical music proper (even the best of the best, like Shore's LOTR soundtrack which I love and cherish and protect and study and recommend is still very.... static and underdeveloped in a way, if you look at it really mercilessly) and this is just further down, because it even lacks the narrative aspect.
I definitely understand that perspective. But my own is that “All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World” is actually my favorite song on the album. As much as I appreciate what you say about film scores being watered-down classical music, the reality is that I much prefer film scores to typical classical music. Even though there’s less going on, it leads to some interesting introspective moments for me. “All The Works...” is the best example of this and the song that got me to appreciate film scores more in general. It’s just a really nice and peaceful excursion into nature-inspired music and brings to light a lot of the pictures that Tuomas intended.

EDIT: Also Nightwish is probably the only band whose every album I love (to different extents of course).

I came across a link on the Steve Hoffman forums where someone claimed that Bat Out of Hell had been sped up prior to release. I wanted to test it out, so I loaded some songs into Audacity and slowed them down by 5.6% (to make them half a step lower in pitch).

The songs sound better!

Meat Loaf's voice (and the saxophone in All Revved Up) sound much more natural.
Sometimes, I pick up my guitar to jam along to a song, only to realise that none of the notes I play sound in tune. There's a couple of possibilities for this: some albums have had their tempos changed after recording, which brings the pitch to somewhere between regular notes, while others have been recorded at obscure pitches from the beginning (not A=440 but something else, say A=435). Coldplay's A Rush of Blood to the Head is a good example of this. If I remember correctly, each song on that album is in a different pitch, some less and some more "out of tune" when compared to regular A=440 tuning. I don't know if the reason in Coldplay's case is creative (experimenting with sounds) or technical (changing the tempos for whatever reason) but I suspect the former.

Depends if we're talking "ca-ching, this is great" kind of amount or "I never have to work again".

If it's the fist, then probably just a really nice dinner and save the rest. If it's the latter then I'd buy an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra and a sweet Presidential Rolex.

Honestly, are you sure you're up to this?
I'm not, but couldn't resist the joke.

It depends on the amount of money.

If it was 100k EUR, I'd buy an apartment.

If it was 1m EUR, I'd design / build my own house.
I would also pay Barlow to front an Iced Earth cover band for one night. I could probably fund an Alive In Athens lineup reunion with that much money, dunno how much Schaffer's bail would cost. And I'd pay for everyone from this forum who's interested to come and see the show.

If it was 10m EUR, I'd do all of the above and would probably buy an entire building of apartments that I can rent.

If it was 100m EUR, I'd do all of the above and would probably fund an entire metal festival with all my favorite bands playing.

Back