Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Raven said:
Isn't that what they call it after you've had one too many Jalapenos?

Interestingly enough, there is a chilli in the world that is *checks New Scientist*...

200 times hotter than a Jalapeno.  It's also around 50 times hotter than the 'Atomic Wing', an American dish so hot that eating 10 of them (not in one sitting!) guarantees you a place in the Hall of Fame of this particular restaurant.

I know that one! Quaker Steak and Lube in Sharon PA (and branches around PA and Ohio)!  :D I don't like stuff THAT HOT. You have to sign a waiver to eat them lol

SinisterMinisterX said:
I just bought a one-terabyte external hard drive.

Time to download some music! (Such as every song ever recorded by anyone.)
If I could put that into some sort of perspective - two years ago, the place I work at purchased a mid-range computer system to replace the older one. This machine contains shed loads of data from all of our stores across the country. Data such as the details of every single transaction that has ever happened in every store for a rolling 5 week period (and we have 1300 outlets selling everything from a penny chew to a DVD, that is a lot of data) and a less detailed bit of sales data of every thing ever sold in our stores for the last 2/3 years, and accounting data across all of our stores for the last 8 years, and loads, loads more. The system is controlled quite strictly so we don't go over the threshold we have set for this machine as the disks on this system are quite expensive (this is part of my job) - archiving is performed on a regular basis.

The machine has 1.3 terabytes of disk space spread over something like 30 or 40 odd disks. And now you can buy almost this amount of disk space in a small USB (or LAN) device.

Albie said:
If I could put that into some sort of perspective - two years ago, the place I work at purchased a mid-range computer system to replace the older one. This machine contains shed loads of data from all of our stores across the country. Data such as the details of every single transaction that has ever happened in every store for a rolling 5 week period (and we have 1300 outlets selling everything from a penny chew to a DVD, that is a lot of data) and a less detailed bit of sales data of every thing ever sold in our stores for the last 2/3 years, and accounting data across all of our stores for the last 8 years, and loads, loads more. The system is controlled quite strictly so we don't go over the threshold we have set for this machine as the disks on this system are quite expensive (this is part of my job) - archiving is performed on a regular basis.

The machine has 1.3 terabytes of disk space spread over something like 30 or 40 odd disks. And now you can buy almost this amount of disk space in a small USB (or LAN) device.

Moore's Law (or something similar)!

Albie said:

That is an impressively large "shed loads of data".  ;)

Onhell said:
Never heard of that one...

Moore's Law
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moore's Law describes an important trend in the history of computer hardware: that the number of transistors that can be inexpensively placed on an integrated circuit is increasing exponentially, doubling approximately every two years.[1] The observation was first made by Intel co-founder Gordon E. Moore in a 1965 paper.[2][3][4] The trend has continued for more than half a century and is not expected to stop for a decade at least and perhaps much longer.[5]

Almost every measure of the capabilities of digital electronic devices is linked to Moore's Law: processing speed, memory capacity, even the resolution of digital cameras. All of these are improving at (roughly) exponential rates as well. This has dramatically changed the usefulness of digital electronics in nearly every segment of the world economy.[6] Moore's Law describes this driving force of technological and social change in the late 20th and early 21st centuries.

Thanks for that GK. Didn't know Intel had been around for that long. As legend has it, didn't it start in some guys garage? I might look it up later.

You know Jack Shed?  No way!  We grew up together!  How's he doing now?  The last I heard, he was a cocaine smuggler in Colombia...

Back