LEGACY OF THE BEAST 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, the hour is close at hand. I'm at work right now, typing this very word. And this word. And this. I'm on vacation until Monday starting tomorrow, and I'm waking my son up early and driving him to Bristow to see the Maiden show tomorrow night. He still has no idea. He doesn't even know I'm off tomorrow. I'm excited to share this with him. He's 17 and very knowledgeable about Maiden from a trivia perspective (probably because I'm a Maiden trivia nerd and quiz him all the damn time) and he like ask lots of questions, so this'll be a fun bonding experience.

I'm taking my son to Tuesday's show, but I don't feel good about it.

He told me he'd love to see Maiden when they came back around, so I got him a seat as a Christmas gift. (tickets went on sale in November)

He was really jazzed about it, so I was glad I bought it.

However, the other day, he asked me who was opening, and I told hin The Raven Age. I said Steve Harris' son plays guitar.

He said, "Who's Steve Harris?"

My jaw dropped. I thought he was kidding, but he honestly did not know.

He grew up with his mother, and never exposed him to my music because, when I had him during visitations, I made the most of that time.

It was all focused on him and the two of us doing things together.

Now he's 32 years old. He listens to Slipknot, and stuff like that from his generation.

And I ask you how the heck does a person that loves music not know who Steve Harris is., even accidentally?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're going to do this together, and I know he's gonna enjoy it.

I just feel like it's a wasted ticket.

Now he's 32 years old. He listens to Slipknot, and stuff like that from his generation.

And I ask you how the heck does a person that loves music not know who Steve Harris is., even accidentally?
I didn't discover Maiden until I was 39, so when I was 32 I wouldn't have had a clue who Steve Harris was, either.

Trust me, it's not too late!

I'm taking my son to Tuesday's show, but I don't feel good about it.

He told me he'd love to see Maiden when they came back around, so I got him a seat as a Christmas gift. (tickets went on sale in November)

He was really jazzed about it, so I was glad I bought it.

However, the other day, he asked me who was opening, and I told hin The Raven Age. I said Steve Harris' son plays guitar.

He said, "Who's Steve Harris?"

My jaw dropped. I thought he was kidding, but he honestly did not know.

He grew up with his mother, and never exposed him to my music because, when I had him during visitations, I made the most of that time.

It was all focused on him and the two of us doing things together.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're going to do this together, and I know he's gonna enjoy it.

I just feel like it's a wasted ticket.
Be pumped! Now's the time to show him how the masters handle a show! It's also important to note that most people probably don't know the members of Iron Maiden, and Steve Harris really isn't a household name like Ozzy is. He's known to people in the know, but not everyone. Just like most folks have heard of Pink Floyd but not King Crimson.

My two cousins (removed somewhat and somehow) knew very very little about Maiden and came out absolutely flabbergasted at how good they were. Even the casuals deserve a good fuckin show my dudes.

Whenever I see fans at a concert silently befuddled at Maiden’s “newer classics” like Clansman or FTGGOG I silently judge and condemn them and shake my head at them. “You’re no real fan!” I say mentally followed by “You simpleminded fairweather sack of shit you don’t deserve to be here gtfo!” But then I come to my senses and realize that Maiden’s light and beauty are for all of us to share.

Whenever I see fans at a concert silently befuddled at Maiden’s “newer classics” like Clansman or FTGGOG I silently judge and condemn them and shake my head at them. “You’re no real fan!” I say mentally followed by “You simpleminded fairweather sack of shit you don’t deserve to be here gtfo!” But then I come to my senses and realize that Maiden’s light and beauty are for all of us to share.
Yes, indeed! Let's not be gatekeepers - all are welcome to the Maiden family. I went with a friend and a young couple. The young ones (23 and 21) did not know much at all about Maiden. About 4 songs in the youngest turned to me and said "This is fucking amazing!". They had a blast.

Like I said yesterday, some left during the song but a lot of people stayed and I was really happy that it went over as well as it did because it’s a fantastic live monster.

I was at the lawn in Bristow and noticed that the crowd energy went down by a lot during Clansman and FTGGOG and a lot of people were walking around the walkway that separates the pavilion and the lawn. I would've replaced those songs with Infinite Dreams and To Tame a Land.
Sign of the Cross was awesome and heavy, I loved the dark gregorian chant intro.

My sister and I enjoyed this show a little better than The Book of Souls tour and we thought that was great too.

I guess you're right, Phantom of the Opera would be cool. I've never heared it live.

Phantom is fantastic. I've heard it a few times live. It would have been up there with Hallowed if Maiden hadn't inexplically dropped it from the mid 80's to 99 and then only played it sporadically. Defintely a better and more classic track than FOTD IMO.

They just played Phantom during the 2012/2013 Maiden England tour, so it'd be a little soon to bring that back. Ultimately I love what they chose. Even if a few fairweather fans didn't recognize great music when it was being played to them, I'd certainly not want to cater to that crowd either.

Hate to double post but I've got solid proof/evidence that Bruce is either dealing with allergies or a cold during this US leg of the US tour here in the US. Take a look around the 12 minute mark of this video. Bruce is going to the back of the stage and blowing his nose. His nose people!!!! He's blowing it! This isn't age taking a toll on Bruce, he's fighting sinus congestion!

Also listen to the chorus of FTGGOG here and tell me Bruce is losing his high end with a straight face. His issue on this show was not having a lot of his breath, but his highs here are clean and powerful still.

While Bruce does indeed a bit rough, it does indeed seem like it has something do with catching cold and the heath. Judging by the video clips, he's still quite capable when it comes to reaching high notes (for example, the ending of the second chorus in Aces High) , even though holding them seems to be a bit difficult at the moment.

I just hope that there is enough time for him to properly recover, nobody wants the late 80's problem with Bruce having a cold and frying his voice with unrelenting tour schedule at the same time.

But yeah, so far, pretty good. If I had been completely out of Maiden world for like... eight years or so, and I'd suddenly came across any kind of recordings from the first gigs from this year... I'd be very impressed anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back