Learn to spell with Iron Maiden

A

Anonymous

[a href=\'http://www.uta.fi/~elina.m.eskola/maiden.html\' target=\'_blank\']British English in Iron Maiden's Lyrics[/a] [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Yeah, and Learn some British slang with Iron Maiden, too [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Quid = pound
"Fifteen quid is all she asks for" (22 Acacia Avenue)

Brilliant! [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

"and as far as the future is concerned, we are all going to die soon." Hehe, there's just something so funny about the way it's written. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Well, we are going to suffer a horrible demise. [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Also learn literary techniques with Iron Maiden.

e.g. The sands of time for me are running low - Hallowed be thy name, a Metaphor.

The condemmed man's life is made to seem like an hourglass with the sand pouring away which is the last minutes of his life.

That was really interesting [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I just remembered something.

While pop music usually deals with love, Iron Maiden (and other heavy metal bands as well) has a wider range of topics. History, religion, love (to some extent) and the future seem to be the most frequent ones. Songs with a historic topic have mostly been inspired by real events in the history of Britain, such as war. There is, for example, a song called "Invaders", which tells about the Vikings coming to invade Britain. Therefore there is a number of war-related words to be found in the lyrics. The world of Iron Maiden does not seem to be too bright or optimistic; everything connected with religion is often described as rather painful and distressing, and as far as the future is concerned, we are all going to die soon.

In my English writing exam earlier in the year, one of the options was "Do you think that Pop music is too manufacured nowadays?" I chose this topic and got a 2/1 as my grade [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I actually had a paragraph very similar to that one taken from the website Maverick posted, mentioning that Maiden wrote songs about historical events. (This was actually before I got into Maiden.)

Hehe, good of you to express your disdain for the thoughtlessness that is force-fed to the masses and passed off as music in this society which we live. [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Dragon+Nov 13 2005, 09:05 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Nov 13 2005, 09:05 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Hehe, good of you to express your disdain for the thoughtlessness that is force-fed to the masses and passed off as music in this society which we live. [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]123010[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Thanks [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] And here is that paragraph that I was talking about:

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]My own taste in music is bands that write their own songs and play their own instruments and music. Their songs are far more interesting, the band singing about their own personal fears and some bands (such as Iron Maiden) sing about strange or momentous historic events. Any songs about love deal with the darker side of romance, and are done far better than your token pop group.[/quote]

Not brilliant but it's still simialar to the one from that website.

LOL, I did something similar in hgh school when we had to write what we thought had happened to music in the past 10 years. The similarities of metal minds is astonishing, ASTONISHING I tell you!

[!--QuoteBegin-IronDuke+Nov 12 2005, 04:07 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Nov 12 2005, 04:07 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]This guy should be put in charge of teaching spelling to all children in the Commonwealth.
[snapback]122878[/snapback]​
[/quote]
#actually, if you take a closer look, you'll find out its a gal, doing some papers for university, which makes me think, how come my university essays have to be longer than that!!!! and on that note, I'm going back to my university essay!

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Nov 16 2005, 12:27 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Nov 16 2005, 12:27 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The similarities of metal minds is astonishing, ASTONISHING I tell you!
[snapback]123173[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Talk about conforming... [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Just a little joke there.
Pretty good site. It doesen'ta ctually help you spell, it just points out some of the diferences between AE and BE (American English and British Enlgish) using Iorn Maiden lyrics...

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Ace+Nov 17 2005, 06:18 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Ace @ Nov 17 2005, 06:18 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Talk about conforming... [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]123354[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Hehe, they think they're aternative but they look all the same. The mallcore kids in schools are a perfect example. Rebel to conform, repent to die, tomato, tomato. [!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Ace+Nov 17 2005, 08:18 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Ace @ Nov 17 2005, 08:18 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Pretty good site. It doesen'ta ctually help you spell, it just points out some of the diferences between AE and BE (American English and British Enlgish) using Iorn Maiden lyrics...
[snapback]123354[/snapback]​
[/quote]
And what kind of English do you use? [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

See, that was exactly my point. The site clearly didn't clean up my spelling. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Well, that would make us lazier if the site just did the spelling for us. We could become too dependent on that kind of stuff soon...

Back