lead guitar credits

terrell39

Ancient Mariner
Why has maiden never printed lead guitar credits with the lyrics? After all they have 3 (!) lead guitarists! Yes each has their own style, but at times they influence each other & the styles blend together. Also, if maiden record another studio cd, it would be nice to have that info available from the 1st time we hear the songs instead of guessing or waiting to see them live.

Because they want you to figure it out!

Check out the Commentary, it's got all the guitar solo credits.
Thanks for the cool thread but it has most solos, not all. Rare songs like total eclipse dont discuss leads. So many other bands (slayer, priest, forbidden, testament, violence, flotsam, overkill) do or have printed the lead guitar credits so I dont see why maiden cant do the same. Its just common sense for a band with more than one lead guitarist

Thanks for the cool thread but it has most solos, not all. Rare songs like total eclipse dont discuss leads. So many other bands (slayer, priest, forbidden, testament, violence, flotsam, overkill) do or have printed the lead guitar credits so I dont see why maiden cant do the same. Its just common sense for a band with more than one lead guitarist

Total Eclipse is here.

As for the credits themselves, I think the reissues printed the solos, right? Otherwise, I agree, I think they should print them.

MrKnickerbockereissued st: 419343 said:
Total Eclipse is here.

As for the credits themselves, I think the reissues printed the solos, right? Otherwise, I agree, I think they should print them.

I have the 2 paul cds reissued back in the 90s which finally printed the lyrics for the 1st time to those albums but as usual there were no lead credits.

Eh, we have them, figured out for ourselves. So, I'm okay with it. If Maiden doesn't want to print the leads, we will, by all means, do the work ourselves. :shred:

Since maiden wont print the lead credits at least they should produce the leads like they did on txf & on all their live cds. This means all daves lead would be in the left channel, janicks in the right, & adrians in the center. Since bnw, only 1 song per cd has been done this way. They all should.

I don't follow. What did they do on TXF? Are you still only talking about leads, in respect your channels comment(s)? (--or the guitar parts generally?)

On TXF you hear Dave's solos more in the left, and Jan's on the right. It's the only studio album done this way.

Really? I'm genuinely asking here: so at big festivals when Maiden play through the P.A. --does the sound from all three guitarists come from different sides of the stage just for their solos?

Ris ally? I'm genuinely asking here: so at big festivals when Maiden play through the P.A. --does the sound from all three guitarists come from different sides of the stage just for their solos?

Not sure. I have been at shows (for other bands) where that is the case but not always. I just feel the cds need to be heard that way.

Really? I'm genuinely asking here: so at big festivals when Maiden play through the P.A. --does the sound from all three guitarists come from different sides of the stage just for their solos?

No. This is done when mixing live albums. A lot of Maiden live albums are mixed this way, which is nice because it gives you a clear idea of who is playing the solo. Flight 666 and Death on the Road mucked it up a bit, though.

No. This is done when mixing live albums. A lot of Maiden live albums are mixed this way, which is nice because it gives you a clear idea of who is playing the solo. Flight 666 and Death on the Road mucked it up a bit, though.
Yip, that's what I thought. I don't think it's necessary, personally.

I like it, but it does cut out some of the heaviness during the solo sections. On albums, I wish they would pan them, because they have the ability to boost the rhythm guitar with extra tracking. Personally, I think Adrian should go back to being right channel, let Janick's wailfests dominate the middle channel with the chords.

But we are just talking about solos, right? What's the rationale behind the special treatment of one particular guitar part/section; I don't really get it to be honest. Beyond identifying who's playing (something I personally don't need) it's seems a slightly false presentation of the recorded sound.

And what difference does this make?
The difference, dear Cried, is that some people have paid attention to this, and others haven't.

Kidding, dude, kidding.

I don't need to have all solos distributed in the same way. I like it that they tried to do this in a different way though.

I see some positive things about this method: E.g., play Fortunes of War and check how it works during the solo sections. It's quite cool to focus on the rhythm guitar of the guy who does not solo. Also in other songs like The Unbeliever, the music breathes a bit better and more attention is given to the accompanying music. There's simply a bit more room for it, literaly, when a solo is more to the side. And to the people who keep muttering about The X-Factor's production, I say: pay more attention to what's different, and you might going to appreciate it a bit more. :)

Like Foro says, it allows for some space in the recording. It opens up the song so you can hear the rest of the band while still focusing on the solo, instead of just shoving the lead in your face.

For me, it's a case by case basis. On some songs, it sounds great. On others, not so much. However, since the addition of a third guitar in Maiden, I feel like it makes sense. If everyone's coming out of the center channel all of the time, it'll sound like mush.

Back