Kevin Shirley's Studio Diary #5

dogigniter

Ancient Mariner
Greetings folks - well, not much diary this week as it was a very short week.

We worked Monday to Wednesday, and while it was constructive, it was more of the same. I have four songs mixed for the album, which I've told you is going to have 10 songs in the end. There is a fifth on the console, which Steve is going to sing some backing vocals and play some keyboards on today - and then I'll print the mix, which will leave us another nine tracks to finish, five for the album as well as the four extra tracks for B-sides, etc.

I think the album has a name, but I haven't been told it - and those lame MP3s going around the internet which someone is insisting are leaked Maiden tracks are just bogus - anyone with an ear should know that - shit, even a deaf Ed-head would know that!

Monday, Steve and I work on a couple of tracks, Jan came in and played some guitar parts - a lead harmony here, reinforcing an intro melody there, basically bringing everything up to speed to mix, which I've done. Adrian was in to sing a backing vocal along with Steve, and Wing Commander Biggles was in Wednesday for two lead vocals - before I had to rush to the airport to get a late night flight to Rome - for the Easter break. Actually, I am using 90% of Bruce's original tracking vocals, which have have their own unique spirit when he sings live with the band. I'm just using the new vocals for an occasional lyric mix-up or a melody change, but they're basically his live takes! And that's not me being lazy, I fully expected to use more of the redone vocals, but the live ones are killer!

And that's it....... I feel energized from the Easter break, I have to confess I was shattered by Wednesday night, but am back up to speed and chomping at the bit to get back to the studio today - I write this on an early morning Alitalia flight from Rome to Heathrow somewhere over snow-capped Alps, and once I grab the Heathrow Express, I should be in the studio by 10am, and back to work by 10.01.

And that's really all there is to say - take care - Up The Irons!

Source: ironmaidenonlineclub.com

[!--quoteo(post=135108:date=Apr 18 2006, 07:41 PM:name=dogigniter)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(dogigniter @ Apr 18 2006, 07:41 PM) [snapback]135108[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I think the album has a name, but I haven't been told it - and those lame MP3s going around the internet which someone is insisting are leaked Maiden tracks are just bogus - anyone with an ear should know that - shit, even a deaf Ed-head would know that!
[/quote]
Does this mean that maybe the Caveman does read this forum? Possibly he reads the official forum but it would be pretty cool to know somebody who works so close to the band reads what the fans write [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]

That would actually be kinda need. Kevin, if you are reading this, we didn't fall for it!

Hahaha, I wish it could be true. I'd love to actually hear about producing music. It's something I know absolutely nothing about.

Yeah,
And tell us more about the "backing vocals"!

When was the last time Steve and/or Adrian recorded some for an Iron Maiden studio album?

[img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=135108:date=Apr 18 2006, 07:41 PM:name=dogigniter)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(dogigniter @ Apr 18 2006, 07:41 PM) [snapback]135108[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
as well as the four extra tracks for B-sides, etc.
[/quote]

Ooh, Real B-sides as opposed to the live/alternitive versions we've had in recent years? Cool. Might actually convince me to buy the singles!

[!--quoteo(post=135141:date=Apr 19 2006, 01:05 AM:name=spalec)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(spalec @ Apr 19 2006, 01:05 AM) [snapback]135141[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Ooh, Real B-sides as opposed to the live/alternitive versions we've had in recent years? Cool. Might actually convince me to buy the singles!
[/quote]

OK.
First of all, the B-Sides from the two singles from Dance Of Death were original material. I agree that they had fairly little replay value, but they were original. The CD singles had alternative mixes of two already known tracks as a bonus. But whatever.
Next, I must say that we should all actually be thankful that Maiden is putting consideration into their B-Sides at all. A single is meant to be bought for the A-Side, not the B-Side. The original reason why there are B-Sides at all is because with the original 7" singles, there had to be something on the flip side (don't ask me why, probably for some technical reason), and more often than not, artists simply pressed another album track or a highly inferior recording on that side. Sometimes, leftovers from the recording sessions that didn't make it on the album for some reason or the other were used as B-Sides because the artists felt they were too good not to be heard, but possibly not good enough for the album. But most of the time, they didn't give a shit about the B-Side because it's always the A-Side that gets played.
Usually, one single gets released before the album it comes from to be a "taster" or even already to promote the album. It doesn't matter what is on the B-Side, but usually, it's a good original one. After the release of the album, any given number of singles can follow (I think Michael Jackson's "Thriller" spawned seven singles in total!). The original idea was to give people who won't buy the album for any reason (usually money) the best tracks anyway (it is quite interesting to observe that the hit single from an album is normally the very first one, while the latter ones tend to reside lower in the charts). However, some artists have noticed that the majority of people who buy these singles already have the album. Most didn't give a flying fuck, but some -like Maiden- felt that it is pretty pointless if the fans buy singles for good money if the only new thing is the sleeve (if you look carefully, you will notice that the early Maiden singles tended to include already released material only). So, they decided to give the fans something for their money and recorded some original songs, some interesting cover versions, or pretty much anything to give the fans something for their money.
What I mean to say is, we are blessed with a band that is actually considerate enough to care for their B-Sides, but we certainly don't have a claim for a good B-Side, because the single is always, always meant to be bought for the A-Side.

Blimey, that's some verbal diarrhoea ::

[!--quoteo(post=135173:date=Apr 19 2006, 10:37 AM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Apr 19 2006, 10:37 AM) [snapback]135173[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
OK.
First of all, the B-Sides from the two singles from Dance Of Death were original material. I agree that they had fairly little replay value, but they were original.

[/quote]

Original or not, they were not more than average jam sessions. Also the electric version of Journeyman is not the most interesting b-side in years.

Imo, the most interesting b-sides or extra tracks on singles were the ones on Man on the Edge (2 tracks that are just as good or better than the average tracks on TXF; Maiden told that the band put as much effort in them as if they were album tracks) and the ones in the Somewhere in Time period.

Therefore I am really looking forward to the new b-sides, which should be the most interesting ones since 1995!

That's because the Man on the Edge B-sides were exactly what Perun said - left over from the album. I am also looking forward to these new b-sides, with the same gusto to which I anticipate the new Maiden recording.

What do you think the odds of another LC Birthday Release is?

[!--quoteo(post=135173:date=Apr 19 2006, 11:37 AM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Apr 19 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]135173[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
So, they decided to give the fans something for their money and recorded some original songs, some interesting cover versions, or pretty much anything to give the fans something for their money.
[/quote]
Maybe Maiden can do a Bodm and release a cover of Britney Spears or something else hilarious. A cover of Michael Jackson's thriller would go down well [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

good work, perun

i found very interesting listening to every B-side of IM singles whether it was live or remixed or remastered version, waster off the album, original or cover version etc.

but i think 4 songs are only for 2 singles (in old terms) - i mean vinyl EPs/maxisingles.
4 songs are nowadays not enough even for 1 single!!!

remember that single length is up to 25 min!

[!--quoteo(post=135173:date=Apr 19 2006, 10:37 AM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Apr 19 2006, 10:37 AM) [snapback]135173[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
What I mean to say is, we are blessed with a band that is actually considerate enough to care for their B-Sides, but we certainly don't have a claim for a good B-Side, because the single is always, always meant to be bought for the A-Side.
[/quote]
Dear Perun, nowadays, there is no Bside on (CD) singles. Do not try to play the "flip side". [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=135190:date=Apr 19 2006, 01:02 PM:name=Forostar)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Forostar @ Apr 19 2006, 01:02 PM) [snapback]135190[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Imo, the most interesting b-sides or extra tracks on singles were the ones on Man on the Edge (2 tracks that are just as good or better than the average tracks on TXF; Maiden told that the band put as much effort in them as if they were album tracks) and the ones in the Somewhere in Time period.

[/quote]

For me the No Prayer b-sides were the best.

Back