Kevin Shirley’s production of Senjutsu

Same shit, if you don't like reunion sound and songs as-they-are, you don't appreciate creative choices made by Harris, Smith and Dickinson. Say it out loud. Don't blame a 3rd party.
I'm one of these people. It's Steve Harris calling the shots more than Shirley and I'm not a fan of the direction he took the band, stylisically and sonically.

This is all true and I will still question the amount of final say that Smith or Dickinson have on anything (other than the arrangement and overdubs on songs that they've written).
  • Steve is to blame for the manner of recording - i.e. tracking as "live" as possible with minimal overdubs and often minimal actual practicing of the song as a unit. Could Kevin Shirley get a better guitar sound? Maybe, but probably not with a bunch of people playing at the same time because of bleed, etc. He could try to re-amp in post production, but something tells me Steve is probably against that.
    • Bruce and Smith (and the other guys) seem to mostly be okay with this (lazy) manner of recording.
  • Steve is to blame for the mixing as he has all final say on the mixes. Could Kevin Shirley fight Steve on the mixes? Sure, but why in the hell would he? Maiden is probably his biggest paycheck, his biggest name drop and his easiest gig!
    • Bruce and Smith (and the other guys) seem to mostly be okay with this (muddy) manner of mixing.
  • Steve is to blame for the lack of mastering. As for Shirley, see above, re: collecting a paycheck.
    • Bruce and Smith (and the other guys) seem to mostly be okay with this (lazy) manner of final production.

I'm one of these people. It's Steve Harris calling the shots more than Shirley and I'm not a fan of the direction he took the band, stylisically and sonically.

I more disagree than I agree with you - I believe that reunion output has been consistently high, albeit those real sound and arrangement issues. But I certainly find the opinion valid.

This is all true and I will still question the amount of final say that Smith or Dickinson have on anything (other than the arrangement and overdubs on songs that they've written).
  • Steve is to blame for the manner of recording - i.e. tracking as "live" as possible with minimal overdubs and often minimal actual practicing of the song as a unit. Could Kevin Shirley get a better guitar sound? Maybe, but probably not with a bunch of people playing at the same time because of bleed, etc. He could try to re-amp in post production, but something tells me Steve is probably against that.
    • Bruce and Smith (and the other guys) seem to mostly be okay with this (lazy) manner of recording.
  • Steve is to blame for the mixing as he has all final say on the mixes. Could Kevin Shirley fight Steve on the mixes? Sure, but why in the hell would he? Maiden is probably his biggest paycheck, his biggest name drop and his easiest gig!
    • Bruce and Smith (and the other guys) seem to mostly be okay with this (muddy) manner of mixing.
  • Steve is to blame for the lack of mastering. As for Shirley, see above, re: collecting a paycheck.
    • Bruce and Smith (and the other guys) seem to mostly be okay with this (lazy) manner of final production.

We've seen that Smith can openly be dissatisfied about the process (TFF documentary), and although Dickinson hardly says anything at the time, later on he rates the album and you can see his 'meh' opinion.

On the other hand, both Dickinson and Smith went to Harris for arrangements, bridging, and just general songcraft.

So they're at least complicit in the behaviour.

This is Steve's band, if you don't like what he does then you're listening to the wrong band.

I think it's possible to like what the band does and still disagree with aspects of their process/style/output/behavior/etc.

I like all of the reunion albums and prefer a few of them to almost all of the "classic" material, that doesn't mean I have to agree with their production decisions.

This is Steve's band, if you don't like what he does then you're listening to the wrong band.

Stuff's not binary tho, I can like what he does 78.3% of the time which still means, although I like him much (78.3%) I'll have complaints and even an eyebrow raise wtf moment or two.

It's like saying swimming is great but it's a shame you get wet.

A guy who loved swimming once went for a dip in the middle of the winter. It's a shame he got wet, they said, because on such a day it most certainly got him a pulmonia. Had he known about the great invention of Neoprene Swimsuit he'd actually be alive and swimming without getting wet

:D

We've seen that Smith can openly be dissatisfied about the process (TFF documentary), and although Dickinson hardly says anything at the time, later on he rates the album and you can see his 'meh' opinion.

On the other hand, both Dickinson and Smith went to Harris for arrangements, bridging, and just general songcraft.

So they're at least complicit in the behaviour.
Hmm no. Smith was dissatisfied about the sound (of the mix, or the guitar sound). Not the process, not the arrangements and all the rest.

I think the "Smith has no say" argument was at least somewhat nullified by him admitting he was very particular about the guitars in TWOTW, and lo and behold, they retracked them after they got done with the live takes.

That said, this debate's definitely feeling like a bit of a rehash. In fact I recall making a post that mostly summed up how I felt about it back in May 2020:

Shirley insists he's all about that 70s rock vibe, playing live, warts and all, but then immediately goes around, fixes drum takes in ProTools, puts together solos from multiple takes and has Bruce record on a MIDI keyboard when an actual fucking grand piano is readily available for recording. Steve insists he's all about that live feel, but the performances on the later Maiden records sound lifeless and limp, and the mix is far worse than it is live. They bring out each others' worst qualities, and it's a wonder Rock in Rio sounded as good as it did.

It's pretty much how I still feel. Fair enough on whoever said Bruce is unable to play the piano well enough, but in general it feels like Shirley's perfectly content with modern technology and cut-and-paste and all that jazz as long as it's less effort for him. Personally I don't much care for that approach if it also doesn't mean fixing issues like bum notes or bad edits etc.

• Steve is to blame for the manner of recording - i.e. tracking as "live" as possible with minimal overdubs and often minimal actual practicing of the song as a unit.
I highly doubt that Maiden do "minimal practicing". Considering how complex some of their arrangements are and everything.
  • Could Kevin Shirley get a better guitar sound? Maybe, but probably not with a bunch of people playing at the same time because of bleed, etc.
The amps are not all stacked together. They're recorded in separate soundproof booths so there is no "bleed".
  • He could try to re-amp in post production, but something tells me Steve is probably against that.
You're obviously not a musician if you think that recording whole songs live is lazy. Quite the opposite in fact. It's far more difficult getting an entire song nailed in one take than it is to just rely on overdubbing and pro-tools.

Were The Beatles lazy?

Fair enough on whoever said Bruce is unable to play the piano well enough

There was no point in doing it with MIDI keyboards because the takes are not perfectly quantized and there are mistakes in playing. But there is copy paste.

They should've went with grand piano or just perfectly score the piano parts in MIDI. This is a halfass solution.

I don't get how a band with arguably the biggest budget in the business can be so cheap with using MIDI in lieu of real instruments. You're Iron Maiden, you can hire an actual cellist, violinist, pianist, even a whole orchestra. Not only does using MIDI sound lame and cheesy, but also unprofessional.

I don't get how a band with arguably the biggest budget in the business can be so cheap with using MIDI in lieu of real instruments. You're Iron Maiden, you can hire an actual cellist, violinist, pianist, even a whole orchestra. Not only does using MIDI sound lame and cheesy, but also unprofessional.
There's nothing lame or unprofessional about using MIDI. Millions of artists do so including professional one's and done properly the results can be superb. The issue is that Maiden don't record to a click so MIDI triggering is impossible. Therefore, it made little sense for Bruce to use a MIDI keyboard over a real piano.

Fact is they should have hired a pro pianist as Bruce is no Chopin.

What a controversy !! :lol::lol::lol:

I really don't give a shit about the KS's production, as the most important for me is the music, the evolution of my favorite band.

Moreover, I don't think that the production is as bad as described by many fans. At least it's better than the production of some other major heavy metal albums released this year. The sound of the first KK's Priest record is awful, for example. KK Downing and Tim Owens are VIP in the metal music industry now, so they know enough producers who could have helped them to have a better production for their 1st album, yet...

When put into a CD player and listened to with headphones, 'Senjutsu' sounds really well. OK, it's not the same production as on 'Brave New World', but for me it was a conscious strategy from the band to have a more intimate, calmer production, in order to make the songs explode on stage during the last leg of LOTB World Tour and the Senjutsu World Tour coming after, for the sake of communion with the fans. ;)

Back