Kerrang Magazine Iron Maiden Tribute CD

Dr Cox

Invader
From the IM.com website (full report at: http://www.ironmaiden.com/index.php?cat ... icleid=939)
15 of Kerrang's favourite bands have come together to pay tribute to the planets greatest metal band Iron Maiden!

Following on from the 2006 Kerrang! Remastered CD in honour of Metallicas Master Of Puppets, this latest collection Maiden Heaven features bands covering tracks from Iron Maidens legendary career, and will be given away free in Kerrang! issue 1219 on sale July 16.

MAIDEN HEAVEN tracklisting

BLACK TIDE - Prowler
METALLICA - Remember Tomorrow
AVENGED SEVENFOLD - Flash Of The Blade
GLAMOUR OF THE KILL - 2 Minutes To Midnight
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - The Trooper
DEVILDRIVER - Wasted Years
SIGN - Run To The Hills
DREAM THEATER - To Tame A Land
MADINA LAKE - Caught Somewhere In Time
GALLOWS - Wrathchild
FIGHTSTAR - Fear Of The Dark
MACHINE HEAD - Hallowed Be Thy Name
TRIVIUM - Iron Maiden
YEAR LONG DISASTER - Running Free
GHOSTLINES - Brave New World

WOW, just having Metallica, Dream Theater and Avenge Sevenfold on it makes me want to get that issue!

Dr Cox said:
BLACK TIDE - Prowler
METALLICA - Remember Tomorrow
AVENGED SEVENFOLD - Flash Of The Blade
GLAMOUR OF THE KILL - 2 Minutes To Midnight
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - The Trooper
DEVILDRIVER - Wasted Years
SIGN - Run To The Hills
DREAM THEATER - To Tame A Land
MADINA LAKE - Caught Somewhere In Time
GALLOWS - Wrathchild
FIGHTSTAR - Fear Of The Dark
MACHINE HEAD - Hallowed Be Thy Name
TRIVIUM - Iron Maiden
YEAR LONG DISASTER - Running Free
GHOSTLINES - Brave New World

Quite good song listing as well. The obvious songs are there (Run, Wrathchild, Fear of the dark, Hallowed) but we also get Prowler. Remember Tomorrow, Flash of the Blade, To Tame A Land, Brave New World and CSIT! Very nice. Some would say "where is NOTB? Where is Aces High? Where is Flight of Icarus? Where are the SSOASS tracks? But many of these songs have been covered to death already.

Cd has nice artwork too.

maidenheaven_350x350.jpg

Quite good song listing as well. The obvious songs are there (Run, Wrathchild, Fear of the dark, Hallowed) but we also get Prowler. Remember Tomorrow, Flash of the Blade, To Tame A Land, Brave New World and CSIT! Very nice. Some would say "where is NOTB? Where is Aces High? Where is Flight of Icarus? Where are the SSOASS tracks? But many of these songs have been covered to death already.

The track line up is quite good alright, pity about some of the bands doing the covers though, Fightstar doing Fear of The Dark for one  ::) Still the tracks by Dream Theater, Metallica, A7x and Machine Head will convince me to buy the magazine that week.

I'm guessing at your local newstand? I've never seen it at the supermarket LOL. the ONLY place where I browse magazines...

Here's the new Metallica cover of Remember Tomorrow. I think it's really good, except the first solo isn't anywhere nearly as good as the original. The second one is good, though. Also this cover illustrates that Clive Burr is (or was, while he was still active) a much more "musical" drummer than Ulrich has ever been I like that they've added their own intro/ending to the song, to put their own signature on it.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZZBnZexM6E

Here's Machine Head murdering Hallowed Be Thy Name, maybe they should stick to covering Message in a Bottle  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bAH2bt2 ... h_response

Here's the new Metallica cover of Remember Tomorrow. I think it's really good, except the first solo isn't anywhere nearly as good as the original. The second one is good, though. Also this cover illustrates that Clive Burr is (or was, while he was still active) a much more "musical" drummer than Ulrich has ever been I like that they've added their own intro/ending to the song, to put their own signature on it.

The intro piece is definitely different alright and I'd agree with you about the 1st solo as well. I've heard Opeth do a version of Remember Tomorrow and I'd prefer that version of it but Metallica haven't done a bad job here to be fair to them.

Dr Cox said:
Here's Machine Head murdering Hallowed Be Thy Name, maybe they should stick to covering Message in a Bottle  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bAH2bt2 ... h_response

It sounds like they are covering Iced Earth's cover but the singer isn't of the same caliber as Matt Barlow. Not to mention Bruce ... It's not a bad cover, but it's a very straight-forward one. (But I really think the singer should try to hold that first "running looooooooow" for its full length. It's not that hard, even I can do it and increase the power when the distorted guitar kicks in.) Also I don't see the point of growling the last parts of the lyrics, when the rest is just a "play as close to the original as you can" cover.

Also, after listening to these two covers, I realize that Maiden has been blessed with a couple of special drummers. Both Clive and Nicko put more groove and melody (if you can say "melody" when talking about drums) into the songs. I very rarely hear Maiden covers where the drumming is anywhere close to Nicko's (or Clive's, or Nicko's drumming on songs from Clive's time in Maiden). Besides, the original drum track of this particular song (Hallowed Be Thy Name) is close to perfection IMHO. Great effort by Mr. Burr.

I find that cover kick ass. Rhythmwise an original and groovy job and like Metallica, this band also decided to give it some own touch. Good vocals!

BTW: Clive is a very steady and tight drummer, but he drums the whole song the same, where Nicko brings more groove and variety (also by hitting the ride cymbal).

I am getting curious for Dream Theater now.

edit: Just found it. Here it is! Click

edit 2: I like this one as well! Of course I find the vocals way less, but for the rest a really nice version. Funny to hear these eastern melodies on keyboard.

Great cover by Metallica.  I particularly like the instrumental bit about halfway through, which is very heavy and very "Metallica".  It makes me think there's still hope for the band with their new album.  James' singing is also great, especially as I didn't have to consider him to Bruce.

As for To Tame a Land, I was just getting into the feeling of the new-sounding cover and it was going well when the singing kicked in.  Not only could the singer not match Bruce's emotion and personal touch of the song, he didn't get even near the note of the scream half-way through.  The instrumentals are top-notch, but the singer butchers.  And usually I'm not even that critical of the singer, as long as he gets the words right.

Thanks for the DT link... Nice cover of TTAL, I'm a Theater fan so I'm used to LaBrie's voice. He could have sung the first few verses a little more rythmically, more similar to the original. Portnoy kicks ass, as usual.

While comparing the solos to the original ones, I noticed a brilliant part in Adrian's solo which I hadn't noticed before, at 5:26. When he "slows down" after the tapping part. Just brilliant! :D Oh, the solos from Petrucci and Rudess are a little bit similar to Dave and Adrian's, but with (I guess) double amount of notes played.

As for Metallica, yeah, you definitely can't make the mistake that that's anyone else but Lars playing the drums, he's got a totally different style. Nice cover as well.

Nice covers both, especially Dream Theater. I just don't like LaBrie on this one. On Remember Tommorow, Lars didn't do well. Now, ladies and gentlemen, hear this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzz3pHF2N0s

:eek: :eek:
:mad: :mad: :mad:

They managed to ruin the masterpiece, completely. One good thing about it tho, they didn't even touch the solo section.

Zare said:
They managed to ruin the masterpiece, completely. One good thing about it tho, they didn't even touch the solo section.

I don't mind it too much when bands covering a song radically alter the arrangement to fit their style.  (E.g., Cowboy Junkies' "Sweet Jane," the Sundays' "Wild Horses," and Marilyn Manson's "Beautiful People.")  That said, this cover sucks. 

Forostar said:
I am getting curious for Dream Theater now.

edit: Just found it. Here it is! Click

edit 2: I like this one as well! Of course I find the vocals way less, but for the rest a really nice version. Funny to hear these eastern melodies on keyboard.

Listening to To Tame A Land now. Sounds good, that keyboard part nearly sounds like a sitar. Adds a nice flavour. I don't think the singing is that bad, except for the last sung part - especially the last scream which fails completely. The solos are good, but I think the keyboard sound is too thin compared to the guitar. Good drumming and bass, of course.

Zare said:
Nice covers both, especially Dream Theater. I just don't like LaBrie on this one. On Remember Tommorow, Lars didn't do well. Now, ladies and gentlemen, hear this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzz3pHF2N0s

:eek: :eek:
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Well, it's OK to do something quite different when covering a song, but this cover lacks everything that makes the original special. This sounds like Coldplay with downtuned guitars and double bass drums. Barf.

cornfedhick said:
I don't mind it too much when bands covering a song radically alter the arrangement to fit their style.  (E.g., Cowboy Junkies' "Sweet Jane," the Sundays' "Wild Horses," and Marilyn Manson's "Beautiful People.")  That said, this cover sucks. 

I'm no Manson fan but wasn't that their own song?

I thought all the covers were great. I really liked Hetfields "FIIIIRRREEEEE" :D and Caught Somewhere in time, I liked the fact that it was very different, the only one in fact I played twice, but then again I have a thing for Somwhere in Time :D

Really? For me, having a thing for Somewhere in Time would be a good reason to not listen to that cover version of CSIT twice.

Out of the four I've heard so far, I like Metallica's "Remember Tomorrow" cover the most.

Edit: Here's Black Tide and their cover of "Prowler"! A bit slowed down here and there, and some slight changes to the rhythm parts, but mostly true to the original. I think it's quite good.

Edit again: Trivium - Iron Maiden and Gallows - Wrathchild.  I liked the Trivium cover, the other one was a bit too much punk for my liking, but then the original is also one of the Maiden songs which is closest to punk ...

Another edit: Just found out somebody's uploaded all the songs. 'Ere you go: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Maiden+Heaven+Kerrang%21&search_type=

Back