Kamelot

GuineaPig

Ancient Mariner
I can't believe there's never been any mention of this fantastic band on these forums.  Easily the best metal band I've ever heard lyrically, have a great set of musicians and singer, manage to be serious while still creating fantastically moody and enthralling progressive power metal.  There's a new album coming out in 2010, and I am awful pumped.

I'd recommend them to anyone who likes Maiden, or metal at all.  Just a fantastic band in every aspect.

Anybody else heard them, and have any thoughts? 

I know them. I have also seen them, maybe four times, touring with Epica (who named themselves after Kamelot's album), plus on a couple of festivals.

I especially like their album The Fourth Legacy. Some great songs on there. This album presents a nice form of powermetal with a touch of Arabic melody lines / atmosphere. The last track Lunar Sanctum is a beautiful song.

Their later work can't entertain me as much as this record, though they still made some good songs.
One of the best I like is The Edge of Paradise.

Do you know Conception, Roy Khan's previous band?

I like Kamelot.  I haven't taken the time to sit down and really get into them, but I like what I've heard.  Nights of Arabia is my favourite song so far, just from random play.  I intend to sit down with a couple albums for them as soon as I can get my hands on them.  Problem is, yet again, finding the bloody things here without paying the ridiculous amount CD companies here are asking for import.  I should just Amazon it, to be honest.

LOVE this band. They have several songs I would like to dance to (Lost and Damn is nothing more than a metal tango). I own all the Khan era CDs except for The Fourth Legacy.

Forostar said:
Do you know Conception, Roy Khan's previous band?

Yeah, they had some great tracks, but tended to be very inconsistent imo.

As for albums, my favourites are easily Epica and The Black Halo, which I think are the best 2 concept albums of all time.  They just work so well; the lyrics and music work together to create mood unlike any other concept albums I've listened to.

My favourite song is Memento Mori.

Since the last post is almost 2 years old, I'll sum up what happened in the world of Kamelot since then:

-New album was released last year, called Poetry For The Poisoned. It's good but not great. There are some good songs, like Hunter's Season, Once Upon A Time, House On A Hill, but also some bad songs, like Seal Of Woven Years (yuck!).

-Roy Khan pulled out of the new album tour in September 2009. Michael Eriksen of Circus Maximus was announced as his tour replacement, but ended up performing only on one concert, ProgPower USA, before the tour was cancelled. Here's a video of him performing Center Of The Universe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZmKCxetdxo

-Reasons for Khan's pulling out of the tour are shrouded in mystery. He said that he suffered some sort of nervous breakdown, and that he wants to be with his family. Lately, there are rumors that he became religious, that he's attending some religious classes (!), and that his metal/Kamelot days are over.

-Kamelot decided to go on tour without him. His replacements are going to be Fabio Lione (Rhapsody Of Fire), Tommy Karevik (Seventh Wonder), Simone Simmons (Epica) and Elize Ryd (Amaranthe).

Simone is not replacing Kahn... she has sung with the band before so she's just doing her parts, I'm sure. It would be a shame to lose Khan from Kamelot, even sadder from metal all together. Hopefully he just needs to regroup a bit. I like the other singers though.

Kamelot is a band in a desperate place. They are certainly considering doing something drastic to get back on their feet. Khan was the man for them.

Well, if Messiah Marcolni, Matt Barlow, Mike Portnoy and Timmo Tolkki have taught us anything is that a band can survive without an iconic/vital member.... 

Re: Kamelot - Khan officially out of the band

Khan is officially out of the band:
http://www.kamelotchile.cl/2011/04/ofic ... a-kamelot/

He's an idiot. Tom Araya is a catholic, but he sings anti-religious songs all the time without any problem. As far as I know, Kamelot doesn't have anti-religious lyrics. But hey, metal music is satanic, every metal musician is a satanist, so Holy Khan must leave the band. Fuck him. I just hope Fabio stays full-time, and doesn't leave Rhapsody Of Fire.

Nowhere in that note does it say that he is leaving due to new found faith... all it says is that he is not sick, and his decision to leave the band from last fall still stands and he's with his family...

Never liked Khan on stage anyway. The way he fell on his knees and spat on the floor was horrendous.

NightProwler666 said:
But he wrote this:

La buena noticia es que … Dios existe, después de todo…

That is an extremely vague statement that can be taken in a million different ways. The other link, however, is clear on that.

Roy Khan - picture taken this year:
tumblr_mrbwmskgsK1qd91jko1_500.jpg

:nuts2:

Whoa...preparing for his new live album: Roy Khan - aLive in Christ

Anyone in the States planning on catching Kamelot's fall tour? I'm itching to see them with Tommy again, especially after seeing that pic...

Back