Just when I thought boiling strings was weird

it's not just the tar, at least here in the US most cigarettes also have amonia, rat poison, nicotine and hundreds of other "additives" that increase the risk of getting cancer, but remember smoking MAY cause cancer. There are plenty of senior citizens still chugging right along without cancer.
So cancer is not what keeps me away from cigarettes, it is smoking itself.... sucking smoke... hmmm there is enough pollution in the air already.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Oct 3 2004, 05:09 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Oct 3 2004, 05:09 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]it's not just the tar, at least here in the US most cigarettes also have amonia, rat poison, nicotine and hundreds of other "additives"...
[snapback]88145[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Nicotine is not an additive, it is a natural part of tobacco. It's the natural active ingredient which makes people smoke or chew in the first place, just like THC in marijuana. However, you're right about the hundreds of other additives.

Some additives and ingredients found in cigarettes...

Acetic Acid (Vinegar)
Acetone (Nail Polish Remover)
Aluminum (Metal)
Ammonia (Floor/Toilet Cleaner)
Apple Juice Concentrate Extract and Skins
Apricot Extract and Juice Concentrate
Arsenic (Rat Poison)
Basil Oil
Bay Leaf Oil and Sweet Oil
Beeswax White
Beet Juice Concentrate
Beryllium (Metal)
Black Currant Buds Absolute
Butane (Lighter Fluid)
Cadmium (NiCad Batteries)
Caffeine
Caramel Color
Carbon Monoxide (Car Exhaust Fumes)
Carrot Oil
Citric Acid
Cocoa
Cocoa Shells Extract Distillate And Powder
Coconut Oil
Coffee
Copper (Metal)
Coriander Extract and Oil
Cyanide (Posion)
Dandelion Root Solid Extract
DDT/Dieldrin (Insecticide)
Formaldehyde (Preserver of bodies, tissue, and fabric)
Gold (Metal)
Grape Juice Concentrate
Hexamine (Barbecue Lighter)
Honey
Hops Oil
Lead (Metal)
Lemon Oil and Extract
Licorice Root Fluid Extract and Powder
Lime Oil
Mace Powder Extract and Oil
Magnesium (Metal)
Maple Syrup and Concentrate
Mercury (Metal)
Methane (Swamp Gas)
Methanol (Rocket Fuel)
Myrrh Oil
Napthalene (Moth Balls)
Nicotine (Insectiside, Drug - more addictive than Heroin)
Nitrobenzene (Gasoline Additive)
Nitrous Oxide Phenols (Disinfectant)
Orange Blossoms Water Absolute and Leaf Absolute
Orange Oil and Extract
Parsley Seed Oil
Pepper Oil Black And White
Peppermint Oil
Pine Needle Oil Pine Oil Scotch
Pineapple Juice Concentrate
Plum Juice
Raisin Juice Concentrate
Rose Absolute and Oil
Rosemary Oil
Rum
Silicon (Metal)
Silver (Metal)
Smoke Flavor
Spearmint Oil
Sugars
Titanium (Metal)
Tobacco Extracts
Tolulene (Industrial Solvent)
Urea
Vanilla Extract And Oleoresin
Vinegar
Vinyl Chloride (Makes PVC)
Water
Wheat Extract And Flour
Wild Cherry Bark Extract
Wine and Wine Sherry

Me neither! Will be hard, considering that i go to cooking school [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Knives can't kill you, the person wielding the knives does! Just like Guns don't kill people, It's the Speed of the bullet and the bullet itself [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Oct 7 2004, 04:47 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Oct 7 2004, 04:47 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Knives can't kill you, the person wielding the knives does! Just like Guns don't kill people, It's the Speed of the bullet and the bullet itself [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]88451[/snapback]​
[/quote]
People can KILL other people! NO!!!!
I never want to see another human again! Theres a chance that they might kill you!

[!--QuoteBegin-The Ancient Mariner+Oct 5 2004, 11:13 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The Ancient Mariner @ Oct 5 2004, 11:13 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Some additives and ingredients found in cigarettes...

Acetic Acid (Vinegar)
Acetone (Nail Polish Remover)
Aluminum (Metal)
Ammonia (Floor/Toilet Cleaner)
Apple Juice Concentrate Extract and Skins
Apricot Extract and Juice Concentrate
Arsenic (Rat Poison)
Basil Oil
Bay Leaf Oil and Sweet Oil
Beeswax White
Beet Juice Concentrate
Beryllium (Metal)
Black Currant Buds Absolute
Butane (Lighter Fluid)
Cadmium (NiCad Batteries)
Caffeine
Caramel Color
Carbon Monoxide (Car Exhaust Fumes)
Carrot Oil
Citric Acid
Cocoa
Cocoa Shells Extract Distillate And Powder
Coconut Oil
Coffee
Copper (Metal)
Coriander Extract and Oil
Cyanide (Posion)
Dandelion Root Solid Extract
DDT/Dieldrin (Insecticide)
Formaldehyde (Preserver of bodies, tissue, and fabric)
Gold (Metal)
Grape Juice Concentrate
Hexamine (Barbecue Lighter)
Honey
Hops Oil
Lead (Metal)
Lemon Oil and Extract
Licorice Root Fluid Extract and Powder
Lime Oil  
Mace Powder Extract and Oil  
Magnesium (Metal)
Maple Syrup and Concentrate
Mercury (Metal)
Methane (Swamp Gas)
Methanol (Rocket Fuel)
Myrrh Oil
Napthalene (Moth Balls)
Nicotine (Insectiside, Drug - more addictive than Heroin)
Nitrobenzene (Gasoline Additive)
Nitrous Oxide Phenols (Disinfectant)
Orange Blossoms Water Absolute and Leaf Absolute
Orange Oil and Extract
Parsley Seed Oil
Pepper Oil Black And White
Peppermint Oil
Pine Needle Oil Pine Oil Scotch
Pineapple Juice Concentrate
Plum Juice
Raisin Juice Concentrate
Rose Absolute and Oil
Rosemary Oil
Rum
Silicon (Metal)
Silver (Metal)
Smoke Flavor
Spearmint Oil
Sugars
Titanium (Metal)
Tobacco Extracts
Tolulene (Industrial Solvent)
Urea
Vanilla Extract And Oleoresin
Vinegar
Vinyl Chloride (Makes PVC)
Water
Wheat Extract And Flour
Wild Cherry Bark Extract
Wine and Wine Sherry
[snapback]88326[/snapback]​
[/quote]

MMMMM. Cadmium. Yummy. Just sprinkle a little sugar on top. Mmm, Mmmm good [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-where_eddie_dares+Oct 7 2004, 01:17 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(where_eddie_dares @ Oct 7 2004, 01:17 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]MMMMM. Cadmium. Yummy. Just sprinkle a little sugar on top. Mmm, Mmmm good [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]88464[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Isn't that Campbell's Soup?

ack so everything causes cancer so whats the problem in still uses the phones?

I believe that GiulianRazor is referring to the rumors that [a href=\'http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007151.htm\' target=\'_blank\']using cell phones may cause cancer[/a]. The short answer to that question is: we don't know. There is no evidence suggesting a link between cell phones and brain tumors yet, but it is possible that such a link may show up in the future.

Using a headset (and keeping the phone itself away from your head) is thought to reduce any possible risk of cancer. Of course, it also makes one look like an ass.

<rant>I have seen way too many people who live with their cell phones virtually glued to their ears. In my school, I see students who get out their phones right away after class is over - before they even stand up, pick up their books and leave the classroom. I will never understand this phenomenon. In my experience, using a cell phone means having to devote concentration to the call, which means ignoring one's surroundings. You might as well be living with blinders and earplugs on if you spend all day wrapped up in your phone calls. And I especially hate people who use their cell phone while driving. You wanna kill yourself, fine - we can always use some chlorine in the gene pool. But try to find a way to do it that doesn't also endanger my life!</rant>

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Oct 11 2004, 01:18 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Oct 11 2004, 01:18 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]<rant>I have seen way too many people who live with their cell phones virtually glued to their ears. In my school, I see students who get out their phones right away after class is over - before they even stand up, pick up their books and leave the classroom. I will never understand this phenomenon. In my experience, using a cell phone means having to devote concentration to the call, which means ignoring one's surroundings. You might as well be living with blinders and earplugs on if you spend all day wrapped up in your phone calls. And I especially hate people who use their cell phone while driving. You wanna kill yourself, fine - we can always use some chlorine in the gene pool. But try to find a way to do it that doesn't also endanger my life!</rant>
[snapback]88822[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I dont go to school/college anymore but i agree with your rant about it, people spend to much time on their phones!!! Parents get their kids phones, and the kids spend a fortune on them, making and sending pointless calls and text messages....e.g ones saying "hello, im sitting next to you, how are you hahaha" and the point of that is? its just wasting money!!! The amount kids pay for phones, and to run them is ridiculous! I also think people who use phones whilst driving are idiots, had a guy pull out in front of me the other day at a junction...he never looked, just pulled out, i nearly hit him...and why? because he was on a mobile phone! Now i dont care if he wants to risk his own life, but i start to care when he risks others just for the sake of a phone call on a mobile phone...if you want to use it, PULL OVER!!!! (in a safe place)

Anyway, thats my rant for the day done aswell.... [!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Well I agree with both rants! I won't criticize the fact that the cell phone absorbs you making you ignore your surroundings because tape/cd/mp3 players do the same and I'm addicted to my music [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]. However I will point out that the cell phone was NOT made to replace the regular phone. Busy Exec. use it because they do have busy lives and important deals to keep up on, Parents Use it as a leash to make sure where their children are or in case of an EMERGENCY e.g. a flat tire or a car crash. However Children use it like if THEY were the busy executives calling their friends they just saw five minutes ago all the time. I have never understood that. I only called my friends if we were going to get together, if I hadn't seen them that day or if some wierd idea came to me and I wanted someone to discuss it with. However most teens and young adults (old teens is more like it) call their friends just to keep talking about random crap.... I don't get it.

Exactly, its amazing people can still hold a proper conversation, or think of anything to talk about after they have chatted for ages on phones to one another, or text!

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Oct 11 2004, 09:50 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Oct 11 2004, 09:50 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]However I will point out that the cell phone was NOT made to replace the regular phone.
[snapback]88836[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Nonetheless, it is doing so in many places where land-line phone service is terrible - particularly East Asian countries such as Chine and Singapore, where cell phones outnumber land lines by something like 10 to 1.

Here in Denver, our local phone company is notorious for terrible service - they were rated worst in the whole USA a couple years back and they haven't improved. Hence, many people I know have gotten a cable modem and a cell phone and ditched land lines completely. I've even considered doing it myself, but I like the security of a land line - no batteries to charge, almost impossible to lose or steal, much harder to clone or intercept calls, never have a problem with bad reception...

I agree, my girlfriend's family doesn't use their home phone anymore... however, many institutions (like banks) still ask for your home phone (land line) because it is at a fixed location, it will more than likely NOT change, get lost, stolen etc and with that they can also trace your adress (if you didn't give it to them), so if you don't give them what you owe them for your mortgage they can come looking for you [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Not to mention I tried going the cable modem, cellular phone route and it is damn expensive... at least it was for me.

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Oct 11 2004, 08:31 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Oct 11 2004, 08:31 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Nonetheless, it is doing so in many places where land-line phone service is terrible - particularly East Asian countries such as Chine and Singapore, where cell phones outnumber land lines by something like 10 to 1.

[snapback]88861[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Yup, man. Here in Singapore, they use the handphone to talk but they don't use the regular phone even when they're at home. I dont have a handphone so, I dont count.

Back