Judas Priest

I agree with everything @Edington said to the letter. Very good album but a lot of the songs sound the same and it really feels like the Richie show. He is an amazing player but quite different than KK or Glen and Judas Priest essentially becoming a one guitar band holds this album back imo.
The energy. This is not a band that's been going 50 years, surely?
Well, because it’s not really. So much of this album rests on Scott Travis who joined in the 90s and Richie who joined about a decade ago.

Judas Priest is more like Ozzy Osbourne at this point imo. You have the recognizable voice (Halford) but the musicians and songwriters involved are younger guys who are keeping it fresh.

It results in some pretty good metal music no doubt, but I have a hard time hearing the personality and authenticity of Defenders of the Faith or Stained Class.

I can agree that it's not "Firepower II", whereas that was full of cool, heavy riffs I think this puts more emphasis on the melodic sections. They're what's caught my ear the most so far, but it seems the riffage has taken a bit of a back seat, I can't recall any of them. It's also lacking in Firepower's strong choruses, none of them have really stuck with me so far except Crown of Horns.
For me it's just like Firepower, the structures are similar. I expected something a bit different this time.
The riffs are again solid and catchy, but I agree that the riffage is not like on it. Agreed also about the choruses, but I'd say half of the album is with memorable choruses.

The emphasis on the melodic sections is true.
The energy. This is not a band that's been going 50 years, surely?
*A little too incredible, I wonder just how much studio trickery was involved and how well these songs will work live.
It's not very unique, the most memorable moments reminded me of something else.
Two related points: some of the instrumental sections are a bit meandering and a second guitarist is sorely missed, they could be more interesting if it were two guitarists playing off each other.
I agree. The energy shouldn't be a surprise with Richie and Scott in the band.
The vocals will be very difficult for Rob live and I enjoy his normal vocals a bit more now.
A 2nd guitar is indeed missing, although some of the songs needed better vocal ideas, which is not easy.
Richie is doing a great job as always, and I think he plays everything. He is different to Glenn and KK though. They teased 3 guitars in the studio?
About the uniqueness, there is no such thing anymore.
I particularly like Gates of Hell and the solo in Devil In Disguise. Trial by Fire was already high on my list
Gates Of Hell solo is very cool.

Last edited:
Multiple listens now and Panic Attack is still best for me. I fail to see why people are not more into this song. Guitar solo is amazing, the intro, Rob doesn’t overdo it, the chorus is different and not over-used which I love and it also punches you into your face. This song is really different than everything else they’ve done

love Trial more and more now because I’m disappointed with a few other songs like Devil, Gates, and Escape. It’s not that they are bad songs, it’s just that they sound way too similar.

Giants is really growing on me. I love Serpent and Invincible

The track that I am really digging right now is Lodger. Rob seems to love singing the story. I love the guitar tone matching the chorus. This song should really be more than four minutes, it has an epic sound

I think Priest made error with bonus songs. :ninja: Not only Fight of Your Life should have been on regular album, also The Lodger. Album would be more varied. I like these two songs more than Devil in Disquise, As God is My Witness and Sons of Thunder. Add Vicious Circle and we have bonus songs trade off.

1. Panic Attack
2. The Serpent And the King
3. Invincible Shield
4. Vicious Circle
5. Gates of Hell
6. Crown of Horns
7. Fight of Your Life
8. Trial By Fire
9. The Lodger
10. Giants in the Sky

Cool video (in the rehearsal room I guess). With Andy! A video for a non-single song is now like a tradition for them.

''Invincible Shield'' is one of my Top title tracks from the band already - along with ''Painkiller'' and ''Nostradamus''.

Stained Class is my favorite Priest title track, followed by Screaming for Vengeance, Invincible Shield and Painkiller.

It's a decent album. I don't know how many of the songs have staying power (Crown of Horns certainly does, and The Lodger made a strong starting impression), and lots of the songs blend together a bit, but they're enjoyable enough.

Disagreed, I think As God is My Witness is a standout track on the album.
I agree. A favorite of mine right after the first listen.

If I have to rank the album in Priest's discography:

better - than ROS, AOR, Ripper's albums, RID, POE and I like it more than their 70's albums.
no better - than Firepower, Nostradamus, Painkiller, Defenders, Screaming and on par in a way with British Steel and Turbo for me.

So, #6-8.

I think the band will play the 4 singles (at least 3 of them) plus the title track live.

Other songs they may add during the tour - Sons Of Thunder, Gates Of Hell. I hope As God Is My Witness too.

The most I've enjoyed a JP album in 40 years.
Miss the duelling leads but Richie's playing is well tasty.
Unclear of the machine/human ratio, probably bad like everything else nowadays, but considering the health scares I'm more than happy this even exists.
It's a belter. Roll on London with Saxon.

Back