Judas Priest Survivor 2014 Results - Sentinel wins!

Are you happy with the results?

• Yes

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Adrian Smith

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • What the fuck are you doing Stardust?

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
I could never get into Dissident Aggressor. No matter how many times I've listened to the album, or that track by itself, or live versions of it, the song doesn't do anything for me. Yes it's aggressive, but it doesn't really offer anything in the way of riffs or melodies, and find the vocals to be somewhat stale. Except for the chorus, I'll give Halford credit for his shrieks there. To me, that song is "flat and simple".

Here Comes the Tears is just fine. It's a cool song and I even held off from voting for it last round, but something has to go and unfortunately that's my next least favorite there behind Raw Deal and Aggressor.

Starbreaker is a fantastic song though. The rocking drum beat, the riff, for such a short little rocker it's a lot of fun and has a lot to offer. It really hints at what Priest would do in the 80s and is a bit of a forgotten gem. Personally my favorite part is the bridge, 1:44 is where things really get going. I especially loved that live, the guitar's triplets against the drum's 8th note beat is simple yet really infectious. The guitar solo is one of Priest's best too. I love how it goes into that twin harmony in the 2nd half. Something that Iron Maiden would do with many of their guitar solos. Honestly this is my go to for short Priest rockers. It should be a live staple, seeing it on the Epitaph tour was a real treat.

Mosh, I was going to post something similar.
Thanks for saving me the time.

I've left Dissident Aggressor alone for now, but I may well vote against it in the near future. Starbreaker however....I just don't get along with it. Maybe it's the sound, I don't know, but it feels incredibly dated to me.

Thanks for explaining Mosh. I agree with your review but I appreciate Here Come the Tears more for reasons explained.

In this round I've only voted for Last Rose. Bad decision. I never saw this coming. Will change tactics and I hope Starbreaker will still go earlier than Dissident.

Yep, my lack of tactics in this round shows. Should have protected Here Come the Tears better. I could have saved it this round.

I couldn't get into Dissident Aggressor for a long time then it simply clicked with me. It was around the time that my taste in music shifted from complexity to atmosphere and appreciation of simplicity.

Eliminated Songs
Deceiver - 8 votes
Last Rose of Summer - 7 votes
Raw Deal - 8 votes

Stained Class joins the battle.

Oh man, meant to vote for Fire Burns Below too. Count a vote for that please.

Eliminated Songs
White Heat, Red Hot - 5 votes
Savage - 6 votes
Heroes End - 5 votes
Fire Burns Below - 8 votes

Sad Wings of Destiny to see Saints of Hell going out so soon.
That grooving midpiece does it for me everytime I hear it. I like the song more than Better By You and the title track.

Eliminated Songs
Here Come the Tears - 5 votes
Dissident Aggressor - 5 votes
Better By You, Better Than Me - 5 votes
Invader - 6 votes
Saints in Hell - 6 votes

Killing Machine enters the battle!

Back