Judas Priest Discography Discussion (part 2 starting page 20)

Mosh said that RID is: "Definitely not their worst and really a step in the right direction. -- If I want something heavy, I'm going with Painkiller no question."

I guess that sums it up for me. I rarely listen to it, but if I do, I kind of enjoy it. Not my favourite, though.

Funnily enough, it is the ONLY Priest album I bought new at the time of release. A birthday present for my metal maniac brother in 88. Maybe I should get Redeemer of Souls when it gets released? I may not get another chance... Painkiller I would have bought, but it was way too heavy for me, when I was 8 years old. I liked stuff like Kiss "Crazy Nights" and Wham's "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" back then... *embarrassed*

@ Saapanael Yeah, that was my first post. I couldn't even remember why I registered back in the day... But better late than never I guess.

And on the note of better late than never front....

I’ve really spent some time with Ram It Down one because it has never really captured my affection. As I said above, the sound isn’t what I like and it stinks too much of the late ‘80s excess that buried heavy music.

Ram it Down is good opener. Not the band’s best thrash track (the “Shout it Out” bridge is pretty cheesy) but still heavy, fast and melodic with killer solos and a nice harmony section. The sound isn’t horrible here, but I can’t help but think it would have benefitted from a dirtier crunch.

It’s cheesy, but Heavy Metal has always been one of my favourite RiD songs. The intro is just short and tasteful enough to straddle the line of cliché. The verse and pre-chorus vocal melodies are vintage Halford and the great bass line (on an ‘80s Priest song!) really makes it move. It loses points because the chorus is a letdown and the lyrics are lame. Another awesome solo — the leads really are the saving grace of Ram It Down and Turbo.

It’s not commercial in the soft sense, but Love Zone is an obvious pander to the LA sleaze scene. It’s got that Priest staple of a catchy conventional melody under metal trappings, but both the melody and the trappings border on annoying. The drums are at their worst. And the lyrics — an ode of the joys of picking up prostitutes without an ounce of irony — are the definition of cringe-worthy. It has a nice, tasteful solo break though.

Come and Get It is another simplistic pander to the LA scene with very obvious lyrics and melodies. The fact the clichés are piled on for the third song in a row make it particularly tedious in the context of the album.

The opening riff and the relentless pace of Hard As Iron gets the album back on track, but it is a “what-could-have-been” kind of song. Kickass Kenny solo, followed by an irresistible harmony, then some Glenn shredding. Vintage Halford vocal melodies. The parts should add up to more than they do. I blame the drums, the cold production and the cliched late ‘80s gang vocals and squealing guitar fills. I’d love to hear this one with Scott on the kit and some Painkiller production.

Now this is the Priest we love. As said above, the cold production and mechanical drums help create the cybernetic heartbeat that makes Blood Red Skies among the band’s most atmospheric songs. The rhythms and intonations of Rob’s vocal performance are exquisite. Epic stuff.

Yes, there is more metal cheese served up with I’m a Rocker. But it’s got a lot more in common with the innocent cheese of United than shallow sleaze that permeates other parts of this album. Not a great song, but not bad either. It was surprisingly fun live.

I can see why many don’t like it, but add me to the vocal minority that enjoys Johnny B. Goode. To me, it just sounds like a fun tongue-in-cheek merging of ‘80s metal clichés and a ‘50s classic. A perfect B-side.

I’ve never really considered what my least-favourite Priest song is, but Love You To Death has to be a contender. The bad drums and sleazy sheen that sit at the core of the problems with RiD are particularly evident here. I also strongly dislike the melodies and Rob’s vocal dramatics are annoying here. Not even the solo is a bright spot.

The Sabbath sludge of Monsters of Rock shows potential that just misses the mark. A Defenders of the Faith production could have turned it into a album highlight. But in a song that is more about atmosphere than technique “the smoke, the dirt, the grime” is stripped by the antiseptic sound. Like a lot of the album I’m left asking “what could have been.”

Overall, Ram It Down has moments in most songs, elements of what Priest does well. But what they were aiming for (Motley Crue-type success) misses the mark with me. Most songs are OK to good on an individual basis, but as a whole it is the most soulless, artificial thing they ever put out.

Last edited:
On this album, I feel that the criticasters might underestimate the lead guitar a little. I highly recommend everyone to pay attention to I'm a Rocker's guitar solo because it's painkillingful to see it ignored. Because of it (and more than just that) it totally does not sound like songs a la United or Take on the World.
Perhaps when you only read the lyrics, but the music has a different vibe. Also I find it more melodic, and the chord schemes are better, more catchy. Memorable main melody and chorus!

Monsters of Rock is a slow, threatening song. It has atmosphere, it has a solo with a special edge to it. If these aspects are not appreciated/felt/recognized (fill in here yourself .... ), then indeed, there's not much left.

Ram it Down has misses (Come and get it, Love Zone, Love You to Death belong to the worst pulp this band has ever done) but also hits.
I find Ram it Down and Blood Red Skies two of the best songs in the catalogue. Best of the rest is Hard as Iron (I'm not trying to be funny now, but these explosions really rule and in my opinion they have strengthened the song a lot!), but the rest is fine to good as well, even Johnny B Goode. Everytime I hear it, it's worthwhile waiting for that instrumental mid section.

Last edited:
I wanted to bring this up earlier: I won't deny the greatness in the lead breaks on this album. The title track in particular has some of my favorite guitar playing in any Priest song. However, I want a guitar solo to compliment an already decent (or better) song. When a solo is the only salvageable on a song, it doesn't mean a whole lot to me. So in the case of I'm a Rocker, yes the soloing is good but I'm not going to wade through an otherwise dull song to hear it. It's just not worth it for me.

I agree with Foro that the leads are excellent overall, and with Mosh that they can be wasted when they are in poor songs.

My goodness, Ram it Down seems to energize a lot of discussion! Brilliant:clap:

Sorry, if this is off-topic, but I'm sure you know the "extended" version of Freewheel Burning? The one with the intro? (
)
I was wondering do they have any other single versions with "extra stuff"?

I know there are single edits where things are cut off, like the poorly edited Exciter-versions for Japanese tv back in 78. Touch of Evil-single was also edited and Evening Star, if memory serves me correct.
But adding things...? Was there an extended version on Blood Red Skies?

Also, does anyone know why the intro-version of Freewheel Burning wasn't included in the Single Cuts-box set? Was it included in all or only some of the singles in '84? :wtf:

I've not heard that before, it doesn't flow neatly into the track, but I assume that's because it's been taken from a different source (as in whoever uploaded took the intro from vinyl and the track from a remaster etc), seems a bit out of place which is probably why it was cut.

If you find any more of such things do post!

That intro is new for me as well. It sounds like it doesn't belong in that particular song but is otherwise beautiful.

I've always thought Freewheel Burning could've done with a better intro, so this got me excited. But yea it doesn't really work. Maybe crashing power chords a la Hell Bent For Leather.

Sorry, this is going to be a long comment again... If some of these things have already been mentioned I apologise.

Yep, I kinda like the Freewheel-intro (is it the same as the solo backing chords?), and got to know about it only recently.

Hmm... Of the rare songs/versions I know, I believe (Father) Mother Son has already been mentioned in this discussion. I've only heard really bad sounding live takes on that though, so if there is an okay version, I'd love to hear it. But are there any other early Priest songs? Mind Conception and Holy is the Man have been mentioned, but played by Priest?

There are two versions of Rocka Rolla. The long version (roughly 4 minutes) includes 3 verses+choruses, two of them before the solo. The more usual edited version (3'06) goes to solo after the first chorus. I have no idea why they cut it (the first verse), I'm more used to the longer one, but haven't found that one on cd yet.

The live bootleg version (1975) of Island of Domination is also interesting, as the verse-riff was noticeably different to the version on Sad Wings.
Likewise, there is a longer jam of the Ripper, which was later cut shorter for the album.

There are two different versions of Diamonds and Rust, which I remember being already mentioned in this discussion.

Blood Red Skies Extended Remix Version lasts a whopping 10'33!! Talk about EPIC!

Some of the simply edited singles from Killing Machine up to Painkiller:
Evening Star on KM/HBfL is 4'06, (some?) singles 2'53. You've Got Another Thing Comin' single is 4'26, on album 5'10. Turbo Lover 4'41, on album 5'33. Locked In 4'01, on album 4'19. Blood Red Skies 4'16, on album 7'51! A Touch of Evil 4'15, on album 5'44. Night Crawler 4'08, on album 5'44.

Also, Beyond the Realms of Death (live tokyo -79, NOT the Cleveland '78-version) has been officially only released on vinyl, not on cd, as far as I know. So if you want to listen to the most complete Unleashed in the East you got to get the vinyl (Japanese one with 4-track EP+Rock Forever (live)-EP (for beyond)+Living After Midnight 12" (for evil fantasies).

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't know that. No wonder it sounds quite dodgy:D

Of the slight edits, also Living After Midnight was "raped" - the intro drum cut in half, for some reason... Why? The song lasts only 3'31 anyhow...

@Forostar I am 99% sure. First of all, there is no information on where it came from, I assume the uploader created it for fun. Secondly, if you listen at 43 seconds or so, the clean guitar is way ahead of the drums, this kind of out-of-sync thing would never happen in a studio (I hope).

The song "Blood Red Skies" was released as a promo only single with a 4.51 radio edit, the album version and a 10.33 extended remix.[7]
Sounds pretty real to me:
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rare-judas-priest-mcd-blood-red-skies-3-versions
1_d28cbe9417d89476e30f9ddfe4198d49.jpg

Back