Jeff Summers and Martin Bushell

JEFF: Yeah, yeah... I was playing with Steve Harris and it was late '78 or early '79.
JEFF: Martin Bushel who played guitar also with Wildfire was also one of the original guitar players for Iron Maiden.

The Soundhouse Tapes were recorded at that point, it included the lineup of Steve Harris, Dave Murray, Paul Di'Anno, Doug Sampson and Paul Cairns. During the summer the band was looking for a singer and rehearsed as Steve Harris, Dave Murray and Doug Sampson. They were mainly looking for a singer (Paul and Steve first meet at Red Lion pub in Leytonstone in November 1978) but it might be possible that they tried out guitar players. It is possible that Jeff were trying out for the band at this point. From what I can recall no live shows took place during the period from April 1978 until February 15th 1979. In April 1978 the band featured Dave Murray, Steve Harris (bass and lead vocals) and Barry Purkins (I think). I've seen many discussions regarding which line-up played the April 1978 shows, but this one is the one that seems most likley. From February 15th 1979 it was Steve, Paul, Doug, Dave and the line of 1979 guitarists: Paul Cairns, Paul Todd (who played no shows), Tony Parsons and finally Dennis. If they had a second guitarist at that show it was Paul Cairns.

Martin Bushell was not the original guitarist. Steve Harris had Ron Matthews and Terry Rance, Terry knew Dave Sullivan and recommended him. Paul Day was the last man to be introduced into the original line-up I believe. Not 100% sure. They rehearsed at St Nicks in Poplar during the sprind 1976 and played their first show on May 1st 1976 at St Nicks. Regarding fill-ins: on September 5th 1976 a guy called John Northfield replaced Dave Sullivan for a show, accordingly to Iron Maiden Commentary. The original line-up lasted until October 5th 1976 when Dennis Wilcock joined.

If they rehearsed with the band I would say they were about as much of members of Iron Maiden as Doogie White was when he rehearsed with them in 1993.

John Northfield source: http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com/?url=album0_soundhouse/diary&lang=eng&link=albums
diary16.jpg

Last edited:
All this is true fekso, and some of Jeff's statements sound kinda strange (even assuming that "original" might have been supposed to mean just "one of the early ones" and not be taken literally). That's why asked if anyone has ever come upon any other source - I've never seen that mentioned anywhere except in the Metallian interview above.
Since you mention it, last 1978 gig, as far as I know, was 8 April with Dennis Willcock, Dave Murray, Steve and Barry Purkis; last gig for both Dennis and Barry.

All this is true fekso, and some of Jeff's statements sound kinda strange (even assuming that "original" might have been supposed to mean just "one of the early ones" and not be taken literally). That's why asked if anyone has ever come upon any other source - I've never seen that mentioned anywhere except in the Metallian interview above.
Since you mention it, last 1978 gig, as far as I know, was 8 April with Dennis Willcock, Dave Murray, Steve and Barry Purkis; last gig for both Dennis and Barry.
For that last gig I understood that Dennis left and Steve did the vocals!

The infamous gig when Dennis didn't show up was just before that apparently. No idea who handled the vocals, or if there was a gig at all. But it was not the last one on April 08.
My source, as usual, is Maiden77, in Mike Chudleigh's aka Chudmyster's unmistakable style :
"Dave came back for Dennis last gig on 8th April 1978. Which happened to be Barry last gig too Terry had already left a weeks before" https://www.facebook.com/pg/Maiden77-341144199371675/posts/

The infamous gig when Dennis didn't show up was just before that apparently. No idea who handled the vocals, or if there was a gig at all. But it was not the last one on April 08.
My source, as usual, is Maiden77, in Mike Chudleigh's aka Chudmyster's unmistakable style :
"Dave came back for Dennis last gig on 8th April 1978. Which happened to be Barry last gig too Terry had already left a weeks before" https://www.facebook.com/pg/Maiden77-341144199371675/posts/

Cool! Did not know that. Steve must have done the vocals for that, if it even happened. He did vocals for a show in 1979 right? Love that bootleg!

Never heard of it @Magnus
JEFF: Yeah, yeah... I was playing with Steve Harris and it was late '78 or early '79.
JEFF: Martin Bushel who played guitar also with Wildfire was also one of the original guitar players for Iron Maiden.

The Soundhouse Tapes were recorded at that point, it included the lineup of Steve Harris, Dave Murray, Paul Di'Anno, Doug Sampson and Paul Cairns. During the summer the band was looking for a singer and rehearsed as Steve Harris, Dave Murray and Doug Sampson. They were mainly looking for a singer (Paul and Steve first meet at Red Lion pub in Leytonstone in November 1978) but it might be possible that they tried out guitar players. It is possible that Jeff were trying out for the band at this point. From what I can recall no live shows took place during the period from April 1978 until February 15th 1979. In April 1978 the band featured Dave Murray, Steve Harris (bass and lead vocals) and Barry Purkins (I think). I've seen many discussions regarding which line-up played the April 1978 shows, but this one is the one that seems most likley. From February 15th 1979 it was Steve, Paul, Doug, Dave and the line of 1979 guitarists: Paul Cairns, Paul Todd (who played no shows), Tony Parsons and finally Dennis. If they had a second guitarist at that show it was Paul Cairns.

Martin Bushell was not the original guitarist. Steve Harris had Ron Matthews and Terry Rance, Terry knew Dave Sullivan and recommended him. Paul Day was the last man to be introduced into the original line-up I believe. Not 100% sure. They rehearsed at St Nicks in Poplar during the sprind 1976 and played their first show on May 1st 1976 at St Nicks. Regarding fill-ins: on September 5th 1976 a guy called John Northfield replaced Dave Sullivan for a show, accordingly to Iron Maiden Commentary. The original line-up lasted until October 5th 1976 when Dennis Wilcock joined.

If they rehearsed with the band I would say they were about as much of members of Iron Maiden as Doogie White was when he rehearsed with them in 1993.

John Northfield source: http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com/?url=album0_soundhouse/diary&lang=eng&link=albums
diary16.jpg
I thought all members played at least one gig with Maiden. Doogie never did. I thought he only auditioned. Never considered as a member.
Apparently Todd was seen as a member at the time (the only non-live playing member), the band wanted to go on, but suddenly he quit. When someone jammed a bit with Maiden, they might have tried him out but may not have been seen as a member. You're a member when 'Arry (or Rod) tells you, I suppose.

Never heard of it @Magnus

I thought all members played at least one gig with Maiden. Doogie never did. I thought he only auditioned. Never considered as a member.
Apparently Todd was seen as a member at the time (the only non-live playing member), the band wanted to go on, but suddenly he quit. When someone jammed a bit with Maiden, they might have tried him out but may not have been seen as a member. You're a member when 'Arry (or Rod) tells you, I suppose.

You missed my point! I never said I regarded him as a member. I said people that rehearse with the band should not be regarded as members. :)

Okay, this sounds a bit more clear now (it was not clear if you suggested some people consider White a member or not).

Okay, this sounds a bit more clear now (it was not clear if you suggested some people consider White a member or not).
English is not my first language, but yeah, no I do not regard him as a member :)

"If they rehearsed with the band I would say they were about as much of members of Iron Maiden as Doogie White was when he rehearsed with them in 1993. Which he obviously wasn't. "

Fixed it!

Regarding fill-ins: on September 5th 1976 a guy called John Northfield replaced Dave Sullivan for a show
... and on September 16th apparently (same source as yours): http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com/pictures/pictures0_soundhouse/diary19.jpg
Paull Sears (Gypsy's Kiss, then Maiden manager) filled in for Ron Matthews for a few songs 26.06.1977, Teviot Festival - has been posted on several places including this forum
Go to my page bellow to see Paul Sears playing drums at the Teviot festival as Ron Rebel was late and Maiden had to start their set or lose their slot on the festival !
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maiden77/341144199371675?ref_type=bookmark
And I remember reading (Maiden77 I think) that Charlie Borg who was later in V1 with Dennis Willcock and Terry Wapram filled in for Steve Harris on two occasions.

Thanks for you response as well, Foro.

Interesting stuff, chaps, cheers for the research. My own browsing has taught me that the Tony Moore that was in Maiden was also in Cutting Crew who had a worldwide hit with (I Just) Died in Your Arms Tonight. Truly, every day is a school day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Moore_(musician)
Interesting quote from him too...

The whole gig was a bit of a blur (as live performances often are). The adrenaline, the nerves, the concentration all played their part to produce a misty memory of the event.

However, I think it is right to say, everyone felt there was something fundamentally not right in what was happening. For my part, I felt that the whole show felt a little pub rock and amateurish, I didn't think that my contribution was actually enhancing the band.

In many ways it was an important bad gig. I think that, had the gig gone well, we may have struggled on with that lineup when, in hindsight, it was so obviously wrong.

The following weeks produced a sense of unrest within the band and a feeling that things were unspoken and resentments and frustrations were being suppressed just below the surface. I remember the last rehearsal I had with the group, in a railway arch midway between Elephant and Castle and Blackfriars Bridge, where things seemed strained and un-natural.

I think I realised at that point, that the band didn't really need a keyboard player. No matter how much I liked and respected Steve's dream, and passion and energy, I didn't seem to fit in.

Back