It's hard to say if we'll get a DVD from the Maiden England tour

There has been some speculation that the Donington show will be filmed, after Andy Copping (on 18th May this year) said
I visited the site last week to do a video piece for an up and coming IRON MAIDEN DVD…to see the site in all it's resplendent glory was amazing…all the grass has come back think and strong and there wasn't a speck of mud in site!! Hopefully, that's an omen!

The link for the original is here http://forums.downloadfestival.co.uk/tm.aspx?high=&m=5463237&mpage=1#5645364

For what it's worth I don't think they will film this performance, as it doesn't get dark 'til about an hour into the set... At least flags have been banned from the arena so there won't be a repeat of the cameras being obscured like last time they played at Download...

That's great to read for sure Rolpol! Let's hope it really happens! They filmed AD/DC's show in 1991 there and it was light out for the first half as well, but it still was amazing to watch.

I don't really recall, but was it not totally dark when they headlined in '92? I've seen the footage from 2007 (flags & all) & it doesn't really work that well having half & half (light & dark), as you say rolpol. What's changed? Did they used to go on quite a bit later? (I can't really remember, when I went in 1996, when it finished, or at what time Kiss came on. Pretty sure is was dark though.)

I think the flags contribute to a great atmosphere when you watch those big festival shows. Probably more of a nuisance if you are there in person though. If they film Download for release then they can cut and edit enough so that the cameras won't obstruct anything important but are just visible at crowd shots. Anyways, if the Download show is streamed live (as it was in 2007) on the official Download site then I really hope they don't also release it on DVD as well since you'll have seen it all by then. If they have plans for this show maybe they won't allow it for stream in that case...Let's see..

Was that another factor for the 2007 show not being released then? (Did folks not say they thought of releasing it, but the footage wasn't good enough, with the flags etc?) --if it had already been streamed live & people had already seen it. That said, RiR was on TV (in S. America) wasn't it? Didn't stop them releasing that on DVD. It could be the last time Maiden headline Donington, so maybe.

Maybe that was the case. I don't know how much of a deal the flags were really. The footage that you can find on YouTube, the full concert in fact, is pretty good and it is only the far away camera, the one that sits way back behind the crowd that is obstructed somewhat. Maiden most likely had their own camera crew there themselves that day and would have had more camera angles available besides what went up on the web stream and the big screens that day. The fact that Bruce also fell during the second song or so and that the tape intro to Number of The Beast didn't work, might also have had something to do with it's none release...:D It was quite an error full day and not really one of their best performances....

And yes, Rock In Rio was broadcasted on national TV and circulated as a video bootleg for a long time. So if they want to release something that was already broadcasted or streamed then they probably will, I just find it a bit stupid :confused: Knowing how long it takes them to do DVDs these days, it might take a year or so, every fan would have seen the Download 2013 show on YouTube hundreds of times before the DVD hits the shelves in the stores...IF it is streamed of course ;)

Maiden are supposed to be on from 8.50pm. I didn't really get the impression from the Andy Copping article that they were actually looking to film the performance at Download...unless anyone else has additional knowledge?

I just hope the Download show is on a webcast. That is the best thing about festivals during the summer when you are not going yourself. Sit and enjoy all the web streams with a cold one in your living room, watching Donington streams, Wacken streams etc :D

There's at least two Bruce falls out there on Youtube, maybe they're waiting for a few more so they can release a compilation? ;)

I've seen the footage from 2007 (flags & all) & it doesn't really work that well having half & half (light & dark), as you say rolpol. What's changed? Did they used to go on quite a bit later?

The old Monsters of Rock used to be in the third weekend of August, rather than in June for Download, so the sunset was about an hour earlier (around 8 pm) so it was pretty much dark before the headliners came on. This year the sun will set about a half-hour into Maiden's set,it set a half hour before their sets in '88 and '92.

I think the AC/DC '91 dvd looks a lot lighter than it actually was in the early stages of the set, as some cameras tend to boost residual light around dusk.

Back