1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isle of Avalon

Discussion in 'The Final Frontier' started by Mosh, Jul 7, 2010.

?

How good is Isle of Avalon on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

23.5%
  2. 9

26.5%
  3. 8

26.5%
  4. 7

5.9%
  5. 6

8.8%
  6. 5

2.9%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

5.9%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. frus

frus Barbed Wire Hen

Pre-chorus and chorus are among the worst and laziest melodies they've ever put down on record. Sounds like they just had to speak out some lyrics and the melody is whatever first came to mind. It's really irritating, considering how great the intro and the instrumental section are.

5/10

2. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Super track from Geddy Harris and Adrian Lifeson. Some of Steve's best lyrics as well. 9/10 I think it runs a bit long.

3. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Adrian is amazing isn't he? It's epic and proggy and the chorus might be one of their most hard hitting and powerful ever.

4. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

8/10

The album changes gears completely halfway through. My biggest complaint with The Final Frontier is the tracking. The order of the songs makes the whole affair sound repetitive, even though the songs on the latter half do not share many similarities other than their length. Coming Home and The Alchemist could easily have been rearranged to break up the onslaught of epics in the album’s latter half. Isle of Avalon begins with a yearning, slow build intro kept interesting by Nicko's nervous hi-hat work. The vocal melody of the post chorus is grating, but not enough to ruin the song. The bridge is very reminiscent of Paschendale and Dave's solo is fantastic, leading the band into a Rush-inspired jam with a killer Adrian lead. It's great to hear them playing something so typically un-Maiden, especially Steve's funky, Geddyesque bass line. The lyrics are absolutely bananas, though. I don’t know what the hell Steve was smoking when he wrote that chorus about the corn doll.

5. permanenteddie

permanenteddie Prowler

Another song that is kind of a sleeper and I agree with the fact that The Final Frontier tracking doesn't help, why did they put all the lengthy songs on the latter half of the album is something I fail to understand. As for the song itself, listening to it right now, I love the intro that builds slowly before exploding in the pre-chorus and the instrumental part is really a very good one, specially not being just a simple guitar solo. The fact that it has some clear Rush influences here and there and Rush being my favorite band along with Maiden, helps me loving this song. The only thing I'm not fond of is the way Bruce spits out the chorus way too fast , it loses some of the melody that vocal lines have throughout the whole song.
    8/10