1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the current Iron Maiden lineup band's "classic" lineup?

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by Night Prowler, Aug 9, 2015.

?

?

1. Yes

58.1%
  2. No

41.9%
  1. desultory

desultory 1-2-3-compassion

Plus the quantity and quality of music, artwork etc from that era (83-89) in such a short time is why I voted in the No option.
    Martin Birch is another reason for my vote.

Forostar likes this.
  2. Black Abyss Babe

Black Abyss Babe Ocean soul

I never realised the term "classic" was so subjective! So I went to https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/classic for a more objective definition and got this:
    So I suppose it's significant who's doing the judging: the viewpoint of the fans who stayed with the band throughout, and thus saw the whole thing develop (the "inner circle" if you like) may well be different from that of critics, journalists, fans who only like the early stuff and "not-specifically-fans" who just like a few songs.

3. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Then that is not a tiny minority. And look purely at the votes, not the arguments, that is not tiny either. Basically, a huge NO.

4. Bombusbombus

Bombusbombus Nomad

I still think the eighties where the classic period, for most people it's songs and artwork from this period that first comes to mind when they hear the name. Covers like killer and the trooper are a bigger part in the "brand" iron maiden than newer artwork and songwise I think it's the same. Of course this is because it was those things that where there in the beginning when they first got big and that is what's stuck in people's heads. It doesn't have that much to do with what is the best line up but rather which is the most iconic, which will people think of when they hear the name. It's no surprise they called their beer the trooper and not the wickerman, I'd say. Still think the reunion era is better and more interesting though.

5. Black Abyss Babe

Black Abyss Babe Ocean soul

It depends on what group those people are considered to represent. These folks in the main seem to be of the "Maiden-won't-play-the-soundtrack-to-my-mid-life-crisis-boo-bloody-hoo" brigade - more concerned with their own "classic era" than Maidens ...

I don't think anyone is disputing that Maiden had a classic line-up in the '80s. Well it's back again now, only one better . Interesting aside from Blaze: when he first heard that Bruce and Adrian were returning his initial response was "OK, it's like a line-up thing, the classic line-up". Blaze did not apparently consider the continued presence of Janick to negate the point that the "classic line-up" from the '80s was being re-assembled.

It all turns on how you interpret the term "classic" and what it is "classic of" - is it Maiden overall? Or rock/metal in general? Or something else entirely? And is only the recorded output being considered or are other achievements also being taken into account?

soundwave and Diesel 11 like this.
  6. soundwave

soundwave Educated Fool

In terms of exposure, this lineup is enjoying far more reverence and respect than 80s era Maiden ever did. 80s Maiden lurked in the shadows; while they had occasionally exposure on MTV, they were very much an underground phenomenon (albeit a very successful one).

In terms of perceived quality... That's obviously subjective, but I will say that Seventh Son remains the most notable "punctuation mark" in the band's history. Everything before it is generally embraced and everything after it generates more contentious opinions.

7. Bassman61

Bassman61 Prowler

Well, since I never got into Maiden until around 2008, the current lineup will always be the classic lineup to me!