Is that Eddie on the cover of TFF or not?

p4warrior said:
Yep.  I'm getting the feeling that Grant thought it wasn't Eddie, but the band seems to think otherwise...

Remember the Rockline interview around the time El Dorado came out? I thought Steve explicity said there that it is Eddie.

No matter how much I disagree...

Riggs set the standard. I don't really mean quality of the art, but the standard of the look. Riggs' Eddies were very consistent in terms of facial features and body structure, even when twisted into bizarre forms like the 7th Son era art.

If you know a bit about animation, think of model sheets. A series of reference drawings of a character in a variety of poses, so all the animators get the look right. Riggs output through the 7th Son era is the Eddie model sheet. NPFTD art was where the letdowns started.

Most of the other Eddies worked because they followed enough of the model sheet. You can clearly recognize Eddie's face in all the previous album covers. In fact, the Reaper Eddie is the only thing that doesn't suck about the DOD cover.

But this "Eddie" is just all wrong. The skull structure is too alien. The teeth are just fucked up. And just like I hate the X Factor cover because of the gore, I also hate this. Half-exposed brain? Why?

Eddie was a zombie, but he was always human. Yes, even when he was a tree or a cloud, he never lost his humanity. This thing on the TFF cover is not human; it is not Eddie. No matter what they called him in the video. Screenwriters have been wrong before.

Definately Eddie...it's there in the eyes.  Check out the nine pic page in the CD booklet - the three pictures that run diagonally from bottom left to upper right definately have the right look.  The album cover is kind of a morph between the center pic and the bottom left.

It's Eddy for sure, Maiden would never have anyone else come on stage.  Also the character in the Final Frontier video says Eddie if you listen carefully.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Eddie was a zombie, but he was always human. Yes, even when he was a tree or a cloud, he never lost his humanity. This thing on the TFF cover is not human; it is not Eddie. No matter what they called him in the video. Screenwriters have been wrong before.

So I guess this is just a form of a mutant alien Eddie from the future. And no, I am not joking.

Let's face it, this cover sucks. It's just an 'alien/predator' rip-off. This in not supposed to be Eddie, period.

Yes. It's the least Eddie Eddie yet, but it's still Eddie.
And not just because it's on a Maiden cover: it's because he's recognizable. The nose is his trademark.

I think that even though it's weird, it's still awesome. Maybe even the best album cover art since seventh son.
Not sure why. Maybe because it's colorful and feels alive.

Oh I forgot something.
What I don't like about this eddie is that he's gos blisters all over. It's disgusting.
If you can look over that I think it's pretty great.
I think Grant only says that it's not eddit because he wants people to think he's ultra original or something. It's bullshit.

I'd only rate Dance of Death, The X Factor, and Virtual XI below TFF; possibly also No Prayer for the Dying because it's one of the most bland, simple, and unoriginal ones.  But, that's Eddie. Maybe a weird, alien Eddie from the future, but it's Eddie.

Perun said:
Anybody watched the Final Frontier video? The main character actually calls him Eddie there, and he looks exactly like what appears on the cover.

Let Grant take a look at the video, mhahah.

Forostar said:
Let Grant take a look at the video, mhahah.

He should also take a lookie here:

eddie_needs.jpg

Being a sucker for X Factor aside, I think the album art for it is fucking awesome and does a good job to capture the vibe of the album. Hugh Syme rules...just look at his work for Megadeth and Rush.

I honestly don't think it is Eddie. He doesn't have the Eddie shaped eyes, and is the same mystery character who showed up on FOTD and VXI. Perhaps it is Eddie's son.

when i saw the artwork the first time my thoughts were "who the hell is this predator rip off?"
...and its still hard for me to see Eddie in that. he just has the nose and thats pretty much it. the arwork is otherwise excellent...

Back