is Chicago worth a vacation for a week?

Dick Brucinson

Dave Sustaine
me (from Europe) planning a trip to the USA again later this year. been around there quite a lot, but never been to Chicago. the decision is: going to New York again (which always means a guaranteed great week) or better trying Chicago this time?? focus is definitely not on partying or anything, but much more cultural things like galleries, museums etc. and being out for the spirit of the city.
I'll do that US trip with my older son as a birthday present for him, and also for his school graduation. anybody been to Chicago, any advice?

Last edited:
Yes, you can easily fill time in Chicago. There’s the obviously touristy stuff like the Willis Tower Skydeck, the Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, etc. Many of those are around Grant Park. You can do a Segway tour of the area if you want to try something different and get your bearings.

Plenty of deep dish pizza places you should try. Italian beef sandwich and Chicago-style hot dog, too. Other ethnic foods depending on your interest. A number of comedy clubs including the famous Second City. Lots more beyond that, too.

It’s not as expansive as NYC, but it’s a very big city with lots to offer.

Shedd Aquarium sounds cool. love Aquariums. :ok:
and I'll have to get my son a bit into the Blues Brothers before, so we can be a bit on their trail.
Bob's Country Bunker... :D

Yes, Chicago is a fantastic city. All the things Jer mentioned, plus the best of all: The Art Institute of Chicago, which rivals the Met in NY as the best art museum in the U.S. (It’s famous for its Impressionist collection.) The food is incredible, there are a lot of cool live music venues, and Wrigley Field (home of the Chicago Cubs baseball club) is one of the happiest places on Earth. I also recommend the architectural boat tour, if the weather is nice.

Speaking of weather…when are you planning to go? You gotta go at the right time. For roughly one month a year (usu. late August- mid September), when the weather is nice, Chicago is the greatest city in the country, if not the world. But it’s way too hot in the summer and WAAAAYYYY too cold in the winter. Seriously, don’t go there in the winter.

Last edited:
Speaking of weather…when are you planning to go?
there's two options, because of my holiday in the company I work for and also because of my son's time schedule. has both go together:
one option would be this year September, another option, even more likely, is now in an exact year: late March/early April.
it has to planned very good, so yes, I'm well in advance atm...

Back