Iron Maiden's worst song (AKA the Head to Head results thread)

Revelations is vastly overrated. I'd have Evil That Men Do and Caught Somewhere in Time lower and Seventh Son higher glad Rime won it all though, my second favorite Maiden song.

Powerslave is an unexpected runner-up to me. Although it deserves its place in the top 10, I definitely didn't expect it to beat Hallowed.
Glad to see three songs from Seventh Son album there and I'm certainly happy that Caught Somewhere in Time made it that far.
We have an undisputed winner, though!:notworthy:

It was placed 2nd in the last Survivor so I wouldn't think it was surprising at all.
Ah but that survivor was a farce and does not count. :p

Top ten is nice. Quite different from past survivors. I like seeing Powerslave above Hallowed, should be #1 I think, but this is good too.

So by interpreting this lists, Maiden's best albums are Powerslave, Seventh Son, Peace of Mind and Somewhere in Time? Lol classic formation

Most overrated song by the forum compared to me: Moonchild 42/133
Other songs I had significantly lower: Caught Somewhere in Time 6/84, Seventh Son 9/66, Remember Tomorrow 34/88, Prowler 55/106, Strange World 63/143, Genghis Khan 64/119, Total Eclipse 75/135

Most overrated song by me compared to the forum: Invaders 125/57
Other songs I had significantly higher: When The Wild Wind Blows 38/2, Sea of Madness 65/21, No More Lies 77/18, Man on the Edge 82/35, Final Frontier 87/33, The Alchemist 88/27, Judas Be My Guide 91/36, Educated Fool 112/47

Looks like I have more of a taste for NWOBHM-style anthems, and latter-day Harris songwriting, and less of a taste for the more esoteric old stuff than many of you.

(Although I think its time to update my rankings — it's been a while and they've certainly changed)

Song results by album:
THE FINAL FRONTIER
19) Starblind
36) Isle of Avalon
38) When the Wild Wind Blows
57) Coming Home
60) El Dorado
61) The Talisman
78) Man Who Would Be King
87) Final Frontier
88) The Alchemist
101) Mother of Mercy

A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH
18) Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
31) These Colours Don’t Run
45) The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
50) The Longest Day
59) For the Greater Good of God
67) The Legacy
83) Out of the Shadows
85) Different World
89) Lord of Light
117) The Pilgrim

DANCE OF DEATH
4) Paschendale
11) Dance of Death
49) Rainmaker
77) No More Lies
98) Journeyman
100) Face in the Sand
102) Montsegur
120) New Frontier
122) Age of Innocence
133) Gates of Tomorrow
141) Wildest Dreams

BRAVE NEW WORLD
20) Brave New World
21) The Wickerman
27) Blood Brothers
29) Ghost of the Navigator
41) Dream of Mirrors
66) Out of the Silent Planet
73) Nomad
81) The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
113) The Mercenary
114) The Fallen Angel

VIRTUAL XI
12) The Clansman
40) Futureal
86) Virus
108) Lightning Strikes Twice
110) When Two Worlds Collide
112) The Educated Fool
118) Como Estais Amigos
132) Don’t Look to the Eyes of a Stranger
140) Angel and the Gambler

THE X FACTOR
14) Sign of the Cross
69) Lord of the Flies
80) Edge of Darkness
82) Man on the Edge
93) The Aftermath
95) Blood on the World’s Hands
109) Fortunes of War
111) The Unbeliever
115) Judgement of Heaven
119) 2 a.m.
126) Look for the Truth

FEAR OF THE DARK
23) Afraid to Shoot Strangers
37) Fear of the Dark
76) Be Quick or be Dead
84) Wasting Love
91) Judas Be My Guide
92) Childhood’s End
124) From Here to Eternity
135) The Fugitive
136) Fear is The Key
142) Weekend Warrior
143) Chains of Misery
144) The Apparition

NO PRAYER FOR THE DYING
46) No Prayer for the Dying
72) Run Silent Run Deep
74) Mother Russia
90) Public Enema Number One
103) Fates Warning
104) Tailgunner
116) Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter
129) Holy Smoke
138) The Assassin
139) Hooks in You

SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON
7) Infinite Dreams
9) Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
10) The Evil That Men Do
35) The Clairvoyant
42) Moonchild
52) Only the Good Die Young
97) The Prophecy
107) Can I Play With Madness

SOMEWHERE IN TIME
6) Caught Somewhere in Time
15) Wasted Years
17) Alexander the Great
25) Stranger in a Strange Land
26) Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
58) Déjà vu
65) Sea of Madness
105) Heaven Can Wait

POWERSLAVE
1) Rime of the Ancient Mariner
2) Powerslave
13) Aces High
30) Two Minutes to Midnight
56) Flash of the Blade
70) The Duellists
106) Back in the Village
121) Losfer Words

PIECE OF MIND
8) Revelations
24) To Tame A Land
33) The Trooper
39) Still Life
43) Where Eagles Dare
51) Flight of Icarus
54) Die With Your Boots On
99) Sun and Steel
131) Quest for Fire

NUMBER OF THE BEAST
3) Hallowed Be Thy Name
16) Children of the Damned
22) Number of the Beast
28) The Prisoner
47) 22 Acacia Avenue
75) Total Eclipse
79) Run to the Hills
125) Invaders
137) Gangland

KILLERS:
32) Killers
44) Murders in the Rue Morgue
53) Ides of March/Wrathchild
64) Genghis Khan
62) Prodigal Son
68) Purgatory
94) Twilight Zone
127) Innocent Exile
128) Drifter
130) Another Life

IRON MAIDEN:
5) Phantom of the Opera
34) Remember Tomorrow
48) Transylvania
55) Prowler
63) Strange World
71) Running Free
96) Charlotte The Harlot
123) Sanctuary
134) Iron Maiden

First of all, thank you mckindog! Lots of work but cool to see all this. :ok:

Album popularity based on Maidenfans ranking of album selections (organized by mckindog; summer 2012).
The popularity coefficient was calculated as follows: I added up the position numbers of the songs and divided them by the amount of used selections per album. E.g.: No Prayer for the Dying: 1011 / 10 = 101,10

01. Somewhere in Time (39,63)
02. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (44,88)
03. Powerslave (49,88)
04. Piece of Mind (53,56)
05. Brave New World (58,50)
06. The Number of the Beast (59,11)
07. The Final Frontier (62,50)
08. A Matter of Life and Death (64,40)
09. Iron Maiden (69,89)
10. Killers (80,20)
11. Dance of Death (87,00)
12. Virtual XI (90,88)
13. The X-Factor (92,09)
14. No Prayer for the Dying (101,10)
15. Fear of the Dark (102,25)

(Will comment later on the results)

I think we can safely label Revelations as the most overrated Maiden song ever.

fixed

I have no problem whatsoever with SIT in top spot. (Course, I'd flip CSIT with Sea of Madness to get that score :p)

I am surprised AMOLAD finished in the middle of the pack.

Must confess I left out Virus, when doing these album calculations. I absolutely disagree with calling it an album song. Hope you don't mind. Had I included it, VXI's position would probably have been the same, though.

Must confess I left out Virus, when doing these album calculations. I absolutely disagree with calling it an album song. Hope you don't mind. Had I included it, VXI's position would probably have been the same, though.

That's cool. That was the most convenient spot for me and where I believe it's been slotted in Survivor.

More on AMOLAD: When I look at the first-to-worst song listings for it, BNW and TFF, I'm struck by how similarly they match up track-for-track in the forum rankings — nothing in the absolute high-end, but good representation in the top 40, nothing in the bottom quarter, and the vast majority in the top two-thirds. Just very deep, consistent albums.

Not bad for a bunch of old geezers the industry gave up on 15 years ago. :edmetal:

I've got to say the most pleasant surprises were Loneliness, Afraid to Shoot Strangers and Deja Vu.
Based on what I had seen before, I figured Afraid had a chance to break the top 50, Loneliness would be in the 70s or 80s and Deja Vu would be battling to crack the top 100.
Glad to see these great songs get some more respect.

I would swap Hallowed with Seventh Son. :) And if it was only about me I would even put Seventh Son on the first place (but having choice between only these 10 songs).

Rime of the Ancient Mariner... Definitely not overrated. It deserves it's place. As I said, my personal ranking would look different, but keeping in mind it's community's voice, I'm really satisfied. This ranking was a cool thing to make. I'm glad that I have no problem with the top numbers, although I personally would make some major changes anyway. So many good songs left behind. But I'm happy that this ranking doesn't cover, for example last.fm's most listened songs. Finally good, but overrated songs, know their place :)

The top ten songs are pretty much in accordance with what I would call my personal top ten, however I don't rate The Evil that Men Do or Powerslave as top ten material, I've really got into Revelations a lot more recently though.

Aces High can't even hold a candle to Caught Somewhere in Time, in my case. Same for Revelations.

Personally, Revelations used to be in my top 5, but it's dropped a bit since I ran it into the ground. It's probably somewhere in my top 20 or 30 now. Aces High used to be a top 10 song for me, and now I'd put it in the top 30 or 40. CSIT has never had a chance to enter the top 50. I'd be surprised to see it in the top 80, honestly. I'm not even halfway through my rankings yet, though. I've just never seen anything special about it, and in recent weeks, I've listened to it a ton of times to see why it's doing so well, and I just cannot wrap my mind around it. This could quite possibly be one of Maiden's most mediocre songs (imo of course).

Back