Iron Maiden

How good is Iron Maiden on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
So overplayed it’s become unloved, making it an underrated jam.
Exactly. I don't like the studio version very much, but this has nothing to do with the song itself. The LAD version is my favorite Maiden thing ever, and I can't imagine a Maiden concert without it. It just wouldn't feel right.

I prefer studio over any of the live versions. I like it in the setlist but it’s not quite a necessity for me. On the album though, it’s my favorite song.

It's the other way around for me - the studio version is okay, but it can't match the power or intensity of any live version of the song. I actually really like the one on Live at Donington, and the LAD-version gives me goosebumps every time.

I'd actually take The Soundhouse Tapes version over all the rest. It is very rough but it suits a song that has been more or less played to death.

The riff is the best riff in Maiden's career.
giphy.gif

The highlight of the debut is the band's infamous self-titled track, a staple of literally every Maiden concert ever. It's very fun and works both live and in studio, though it still pales compared to over a hundred other songs they've released. Good overall though and I can't imagine a live release without it. 7

Trivia

"Dave Sullivan claims that the intro riff to what would become the band's anthem, 'Iron Maiden', was his idea. "I particularly remember the starting riff to 'Iron Maiden' was mine," he states. 'We tossed it in and sort of threw it around between us. Then Steve would slightly mould it and come up with something else, which became the song." (Mick Wall - Run To The Hills: The Authorised Biography of Iron Maiden - 1998)

"At the time Mr Wilcock joined the band, Iron Maiden performed a song under this title. In substitution for the then existing lyrics, Mr Wilcock wrote new lyrics to fit in with a theatrical stunt involving a sword and fake blood. At the same time, Mr Harris re-wrote the music." (Extract from Lawsuit Presented by Dennis Wilcock against Steve Harris & Dave Murray – 2018)

It was one of the songs that Paul Di'Anno sang in his audition.

Terry Slesser, better known to Maiden fans as the writer of 'Rainbow's Gold' was Steve's first choice to replace Paul in 1981, so he auditioned for Maiden in a rehearsal space in London's Chinatown by singing 4 songs, 'Iron Maiden' being one of them. He did not get the job because Harris felt that Slesser was not suitable for all Maiden songs. (Terry Slesser for Paul Brannigan - Classic Rock Magazine – November 2012)

Like to know more trivia like this? Get my book by subscribing at https://www.subscribepage.com/luisma666

One of the best openings of a Maiden song. The verses and the chorus are great. The melodies, the (only) bass and drums part in the middle and the end with the two screams (never done by Bruce live, I think?) - it's a classic. I can't imagine a concert without that song. Good song. This song is like the emblem of the band. 8/10

Ah, the immortal “Iron Maiden”. No Maiden concert will be played without this tune in there somewhere, and I wouldn’t want that to change. It’s certainly been overplayed for me though, but the original (and best version) still has the fiery spark that sets it apart. A bit repetitive, not too dynamic, but the music is strong and it’s a fun tune. Up the irons. 7/10

One of the weakest songs in the entire discography, but due to being the self titled track we'll never get rid of it. Though I dislike the song, I'm glad that they still play it to this day. Can't think of a bigger pet peeve than a band having a self titled track, but then dropping it and not playing it live anymore. Commit, damn it! :D

The only part I like musically is the musical break in the middle, before and during the big Eddie's appearance. It's always exciting to witness this part live. Unfortunately, like many songs from the first couple of lyrics, they didn't really write enough lyrics for the whole song, which means that verses need to be repeated. Not a big fan of that either. Probably quite harsh, but it's really not my kind of song, so I'll settle on a 3.

This song is really boring, and overplayed live. I don't know why the band has to play it live every single time. It's kinda catchy, so I'll give it 5/10.
I mean the studio version is still relatively boring, and of course, it's the band's most overplayed song live. It was pretty painful hearing it all slowed down in recent times, at least it was a good moshpit song before. I will give it a higher score than before though, 6/10.

Back