Iron Maiden track pack to appear in Rock band!

spalec

Invader
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/28/new-iron-maiden-tracks-on-the-way-to-rock-band/

The official Rock Band Community Zine has announced that a new batch of Iron Maiden tracks is headed to the game. The 12 upcoming tracks were all played during the band's recent Somewhere Back in Time World Tour and all are master recordings. The list also includes three live tracks taken from the band's Flight 666 documentary. The tracks -- which have yet to be priced -- will be available on June 9. Find all 12 tracks (with handy YouTube links) after the break.

Iron Maiden:

* "Aces High" (Live)
    * "2 Minutes to Midnight"
    * "The Trooper"
    * "Wasted Years"
    * "The Number of the Beast"
    * "Run to the Hills"
    * "Can I Play with Madness"
    * "The Clairvoyant"
    * "Powerslave"
    * "Fear of the Dark" (Live)
    * "Hallowed be Thy Name" (Live)
    * "Iron Maiden" (Live)

Holy crap, this might actually get me to finally buy this game. Great choices of songs. I'd have loved to see Rime, but thats not really practical I guess...

I'd think that 13 minutes of galloping riffs is tough even for an experienced guitarist, so when you make a kid who's never touched a guitar play it (and maybe not know when it will end) I guess it gets rather frustrating. ;)

Finally! I've been asking for this for ages and always wondered why we were always stuck with covers. This news made my day  :D

I can't decide what instrument to play them on first, I'll probably go for singing them first.  :lol:

I'll just encourage a friend with Rock Band to buy the pack. :]

I'm not really a gamer, (shock horror) but I do enjoy having a bash at the RB drums. Ahah.

:lol:

I really stay away from Rock Band and Guitar Hero. I don't like how these two trends cause people to practice an arcade guitar or drumset instead of doing the real deal... Imagine if those dudes who play GH or RB 5 hours a day invested half of this time in real instruments...  <_<

pilau said:
I really stay away from Rock Band and Guitar Hero. I don't like how these two trends cause people to practice an arcade guitar or drumset instead of doing the real deal... Imagine if those dudes who play GH or RB 5 hours a day invested half of this time in real instruments...  <_<

You completely miss the point, its to inspire people, but at the same time provde fun for people who don't have the time, effort or drive to learn a real instrument. Lets face it, there's little point in picking up an instrument unless you are serious, and a lot of people might not like the idea of breaking in their fingers/muscles/whatever.
So, it basically adds another way for people to become inspired, but it isn't trying to inspire everyone, just help get more people.

Secondly, it acts as a new way of getting people into music they wouldn't normally listen to, because games are designed to challenge people, they will usually at least try all of the songs in the game, thus indirectly introducing them into new bands and music or making them remember songs they already knew. I freely admit that these games actually got me into a fair few bands and artists I wouldn't have otherwise heard, such as Rush, Jethro Tull, Boston and Roy Orbison. I'm sure this is the case for many, many other people.

Thirdly, its massive fun. Seriously, its not about "learning" instruments, sure thats what its trying to inspire people to do but the real point is just to have FUN! Get your family, friends, whoever around, and start singing and "playing" Eye of the Tiger.

Quite simply, these games are acting in a positive light for music and it would be stupid to write it off as wasting people's time when it in fact is shown to encourage people to listen to music again and even some people to start learning instruments! Its not aimed at people who are musicians, its not aimed at people already learning to be musicians, its aimed at everyone else.

Lastly, I'd just like to say that the drums (in Rock Band at least) do actually translate into real drumming skills, and the singing does teach you about octaves and pitch control. The guitar/bass does also at least help sychronise your hands and get you used to picking out specific guitar/bass parts too though granted its not really teaching you much. But like I've just said, its not about teaching or being lazy, its about inspiration.

Oh, and as always, don't make judgements before you've tried it.

Pineapple Hunter said:
I'll just encourage a friend with Rock Band to buy the pack. :]

I'm not really a gamer, (shock horror) but I do enjoy having a bash at the RB drums. Ahah.

:lol:

Huh? Wha? When did PH come back?

Welcome back, PH!

As for Rock Band - not for me. I play Frets On Fire, a free PC clone. And there are already dozens of Maiden songs available for that game. Heck, I played BTATS the other day. You go play RTTH if you like - I prefer to play songs like ROTAM. :p

SinisterMinisterX said:

Welcome back, PH!

As for Rock Band - not for me. I play Frets On Fire, a free PC clone. And there are already dozens of Maiden songs available for that game. Heck, I played BTATS the other day. You go play RTTH if you like - I prefer to play songs like ROTAM. :p

But I get to sing along to it and get told I fail :p
Actually, ya never know, I might be able to do these, I got 100% on Eye of the Tiger......on easy

Not sure I'll be able to do the long notes though, lol, I had trouble as it was with the cover of Run to the Hills, and that was a horrible cover.

Plus, the quality of the note charts themselves is usually spot on with Harmonix, there is a difference between different games' note charts.

Oh, and I'll also add that Rock Band is a fair bit more party-friendly, whereas frets on fire is a bit geeky :p

Ardius said:
Oh, and as always, don't make judgements before you've tried it.

Who said I haven't? I did tried Rock Band and had a great time with my friends. You know what, you have a lot of good points there. I, as a musician, would appreciate it more if people would invest their time in real playing like they do in gaming. Music is supposed to be fun, not tedious or boring. When I said I didn't like it when people practice on GH/RB instead of real instruments, I wasn't talking about your average Joe, I was talking about those fanatic people who sit all day and play GH/RB. I'm sorry, I should have been more clear earlier.

So to sum it up:
- No problem with Rock Band
- Ardius - lots of points
- Appreciate real playing
- Music is fun
- Fanatic people

Fair enough, but then said people who play it hours on end include me so :p
I did pick up a guitar because of Guitar Hero 1 actually and did get to the level of playing Wrathchild in real life, but unfortunately had to stop because I went to university and didn't feel I could keep up the focus at the same time as doing work and the usual student stuff. I'll freely admit I didn't have total dedication to learning it to be honest.
It wasn't a total waste though because I do occasionally pick up a guitar and play sometimes and I do remember most of the basics. I hope to play again in future and purchase a proper guitar rather than my current old Crafter Cruiser. But it all depends on my commitment to learning, if I know I won't play everyday then there isn't much point.

I enjoy playing games like Rock Band just because it doesn't require me to learn the songs, I can just pick up and play whenever and I can use the games to introduce my friends and family to more music, people learn the song names finally! With this track pack, I can further influence people into listening to Maiden and this is the main benefit I find from it.

But these games did also inspire my brother to pick up a Jackson Kelly and start learning properly (more than me) and he's in two bands now and is pretty good actually.
And I have seen and heard several other stories of people progressing from game to real life music.

Its a bit unfair to ask everyone should play an instrument as much as play games...some people just aren't interested in playing the instruments and won't be swayed or don't have the time to. At the very least these games help increase the numbers of people doing so though which is the point really, you'll never get everyone to do it, not everyone is cut out to be a musician.

SinisterMinisterX said:

Welcome back, PH!

SMX! Couple of days ago... I might actually stick around this time as well. :)

Back