Iron Maiden Survivor done: Hallowed and Rime co-champions

Vote for your LEAST favorite songs!

• Hallowed Be Thy Name

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters
Reumeren said:
I think there's a difference between liking a song and wanting to hear it live.

I still think there's a relation between live songs and studio songs, be it subconciously or not. It looks like a lot of people wanted the songs (in this poll) to survive which they have seen live (in concert or in their own living room), in relatively recent times.

I really see a pattern. Most songs which didn't have live attention for ages, or which were never played at all didn't do well.

Infinite Dreams is the exception, since a live version was released in 1989 and the last time it was played was in 1988.

I think to 'improve' this top 10 I would have replaced Aces High with Revelations and Ghost of the Navigator with The Duellists. Brave New World would have been replaced by Afraid To Shoot Strangers and I think Brighter Than A Thousand Suns would give way to Alexander The Great. Before wednesday I struggled to understand why Infinite Dreams reached the top 10, but now I know because it really is excellent- so it would stay in my top 10. So then the top 10 would then look like this:

The top ten Iron Maiden songs:
1 (tie). Hallowed Be Thy Name
1 (tie). Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
3. Powerslave
4. Paschendale
5. Infinite Dreams
6. Phantom Of The Opera
7. Revelations
8. Alexander The Great
9. Afraid To Shoot Strangers
10. The Duellists

Ok so Duellists is unrealistic as it never had a chance to get anywhere near the top 10 because it is so underrated, but I'd like to think that this is a reasonable top 10 that could have happened on another fan poll.

Forostar said:
I really see a pattern. Most songs which didn't have live attention for ages, or which were never played at all didn't do well.

Infinite Dreams is the exception, since a live version was released in 1989 and the last time it was played was in 1988.

There are more exceptions (the other way around). For example, Fear of the Dark - which they even played on the SBIT tour, despite it being from 1992 - went out quickly.

What I don't get is that absolutely no songs from Piece of Mind and Somewhere in Time stayed in the game much longer. It seems like everyone has a few songs from those albums that they really like, but those preferences are so different among us that no particular song really could gain an advantage (with a possible exception of Revelations and Stranger In A Strange Land, these lasted for some rounds).

By the way, Infinite Dreams stayed in the game for so long because it is pure class.

Forostar said:

You are absolutely wrong my friend, look again to the list :

1. Hallowed Be Thy Name
2. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
3. Powerslave
4. Paschendale
5. Infinite Dreams
6. Phantom Of The Opera
7. Aces High
8. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
9. Brave New World
10. Ghost Of The Navigator

The only live favourites here are Hallowed, Aces High & BNW,
in the means that they could be listened to a new album's tour and not a history-like tour.

All the rest have been played during the last decade, but either during their album tour or in the correspondent history tour.
Rime, Powerslave & Phantom haven't been played for ages, and very difficult we gonna hear again Paschendale, 1000 suns & Navigator.

There's no live pattern here or we would had Trooper, Beast and Iron maiden in the top10

Eddies Wingman said:
What I don't get is that absolutely no songs from Piece of Mind and Somewhere in Time stayed in the game much longer.

This can be explained by my backwards theory : During the 5 first albums, too many awesome songs eliminated each other.
If the game was going backwards (starting from AMOLAD) we would had a Piece of Mind in the top10 probably.

Eddies Wingman said:
By the way, Infinite Dreams stayed in the game for so long because it is pure class.

Agreed

Forostar said:

That's an interesting observation, it is also the top-rated SSoaSS song on the commentary pages as well. It's a real masterpiece, and I hope it will get the band's attention on the next history tour.

So, when are we going to start the survivor, from AMOLAD to the debut album? :D

We need something to keep us interested until there are significant news about the 2010 tour and the new album.

Will-I-Am said:
You are absolutely wrong my friend, look again to the list :

1. Hallowed Be Thy Name
2. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
3. Powerslave
4. Paschendale
5. Infinite Dreams
6. Phantom Of The Opera
7. Aces High
8. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
9. Brave New World
10. Ghost Of The Navigator

The only live favourites here are Hallowed, Aces High & BNW,

I never meant live favourites (by the way, who decides which songs are live favourites?).

I said that most songs which people have seen, relatively recently, have scored high in these Survivor Games. Higher than most songs which did not have live attention for ages, or which were never played at all.

Will-I-Am said:
There's no live pattern here or we would had Trooper, Beast and Iron maiden in the top10

I never said that all recent live songs did well in the poll. Don't change my words. :)

Will-I-Am said:
This can be explained by my backwards theory : During the 5 first albums, too many awesome songs eliminated each other.

I think NOTB killed POM (which I still find amazing) and Powerslave was too much for SIT. Only a very few people like SIT (Zare and I are probably the biggest SIT-fans from this forum) and SSOASS from the beginning til the end but they were outnumbered. Also, some guys who love SSOASS (for instance Perun and Albie) didn't vote.

Will-I-Am said:
If the game was going backwards (starting from AMOLAD) we would had a Piece of Mind in the top10 probably.

Who knows.

Aww. Rime ALMOST won.

Well, I'll take the tie. I'm also surprised about the top 10. I mean Rime was almost snuffed out many times. . .

I'd like to see the backwards Maiden survivor, although I doubt my favourite album, SSoaSS, will be affected since it's dead in the middle anyway.

Why the factors, made the poll backwards, would alter the result? It's nonsense at all.

The factors order do not alter the results. It's an axiom.

Back