Iron Maiden on steroids

giratina

Educated Fool
In the last several months I have been spending a lot of time on bodybuilders and sports forums. I have been visiting MaidenFans only occasionally, but I have noticed that one of the topics that is often brought up is that Iron Maiden is slowing down, not having the same energy as 10 years ago, and that the time is running out (which is perfectly understandable as we all grow old and eventually die). All of this sparks me to start this discussion about a topic that might sound weird in this type of forums : Iron Maiden and steroids.

First of all, in case discussing drugs is against the rules of the forum, I want to clarify that I am not inciting anybody on using steroids or any type of drugs. I just want to discuss possible hormonal enhancement for older men, which can be often beneficial and even recommended by doctors. This type of enhancement does not only provide the increased muscle mass that most people know about, but it can also increase one's focus, stamina, energy, and even drive.

I imagine that with the right steroid formula, a metal drummer in his 70s could regain the speed and power he had at 55 years old. And I imagine that a guitarist in his 60s who obtained in the last few years a reputation for being lazy/unmotivated (especially when he started replacing a 10s section of his solo in the band's most famous song with a 10s one note section) could regain his motivation and start putting more effort in his performances, hell he could even decide to write his first song in almost a decade. However I am not sure how this will work for a singer, as some steroids can have indesirable effects on one's vocal cords.

On the other hand I am not aware of actual cases where a metal musician went on steroids and started performing better. I know that it is unlikely that a musician will come out and publicly announce that he started using steroids, but it can often be noticed if a person starts looking in much better shape and with much more energy for no apparent reason. For example John Petrucci from Dream Theater probably went on steroids at some point, as we can obviously see that he turned from a normal sized man to a hulk while still focusing on his musical career, but I did not notice if he started performing better or not.

So this brings to the following questions :
-Have you noticed at any point in time if a member of IM suddenly got in a much better shape that before ? If so, did you notice an improvement is his performance in that period ?
-Same question but outside of IM, do you have in mind any cases ? Edit : I ask mainly about musicians and improvement to their live performance.
-Do you think it's a good thing if some of IM members went on steroids ?

Let's discuss.

Last edited:
Weird discussion but my viewpoint is no one should ever go on steroids without a proper medical and a specific recommendation by a qualified doctor.

Far too many side effects from steroid use and too much shit available outside of a medical professional prescription.

A good healthy balanced diet with a decent amount of exercise and weight training with proper rest in between will keep people healthy and fit without needing enhancing drugs.

In the last several months I have been spending a lot of time on bodybuilders and sports forums. I have been visiting MaidenFans only occasionally, but I have noticed that one of the topics that is often brought up is that Iron Maiden is slowing down, not having the same energy as 10 years ago, and that the time is running out (which is perfectly understandable as we all grow old and eventually die). All of this sparks me to start this discussion about a topic that might sound weird in this type of forums : Iron Maiden and steroids.

First of all, in case discussing drugs is against the rules of the forum, I want to clarify that I am not inciting anybody on using steroids or any type of drugs. I just want to discuss possible hormonal enhancement for older men, which can be often beneficial and even recommended by doctors. This type of enhancement does not only provide the increased muscle mass that most people know about, but it can also increase one's focus, stamina, energy, and even drive.

I imagine that with the right steroid formula, a metal drummer in his 70s could regain the speed and power he had at 55 years old. And I imagine that a guitarist in his 60s who obtained in the last few years a reputation for being lazy/unmotivated (especially when he started replacing a 10s section of his solo in the band's most famous song with a 10s one note section) could regain his motivation and start putting more effort in his performances, hell he could even decide to write his first song in almost a decade. However I am not sure how this will work for a singer, as some steroids can have indesirable effects on one's vocal cords.

On the other hand I am not aware of actual cases where a metal musician went on steroids and started performing better. I know that it is unlikely that a musician will come out and publicly announce that he started using steroids, but it can often be noticed if a person starts looking in much better shape and with much more energy for no apparent reason. For example John Petrucci from Dream Theater probably went on steroids at some point, as we can obviously see that he turned from a normal sized man to a hulk while still focusing on his musical career, but I did not notice if he started performing better or not.

So this brings to the following questions :
-Have you noticed at any point in time if a member of IM suddenly got in a much better shape that before ? If so, did you notice an improvement is his performance in that period ?
-Same question but outside of IM, do you have in mind any cases ?
-Do you think it's a good thing if some of IM members went on steroids ?

Let's discuss.
Have you noticed at any point in time if a member of IM suddenly got in a much better shape that before ? If so, did you notice an improvement is his performance in that period ? Bruce was particurarly fit between 1986-1990 because of his fencing training, during this time he was, perhaps, even more explosive (moving wise) on stage. But let's be honest, he has always been like that so is hard to really say his performance was all that better.

Same question but outside of IM, do you have in mind any cases ?

I have workout in gyms for more than half of my life and I have seen how steroids have helped some guys get incredibly pumped in less time. Now, to say that has improved in their performance (most of them just trained to be big and that was it). Having said this, I must say there was this particular guy who was a bodybuilder and I know he used steroids to get to a particular size and that he achieved.

Do you think it's a good thing if some of IM members went on steroids ?

Hell no. The bodybuilder I mentioned got particularly agressive on some occassions and I know the effects steroids so I rather have the members completely healthy in a natural way that using stuff to enhance their performance.

I wouldn’t recommend steroids. Drinking protein shakes and working out more should be enough for a older musician.

More than drinking protein shakes they must be on a supplementation program. I know Nicko, for example, has been taken Centrum Silver (I have a funny story about this, which I lived with Nicko in Bogotá, Colombia) for many years. In any case, a good and healthy eating habit is more than enough for them and at the two more atletic persons in the band (Steve and Bruce) now this very well. Funnily enough, I think that the less healthy member is Dave which is quite obvious has had his ups and downs with weight in the latter years.

More than drinking protein shakes they must be on a supplementation program. I know Nicko, for example, has been taken Centrum Silver (I have a funny story about this, which I lived with Nicko in Bogotá, Colombia) for many years. In any case, a good and healthy eating habit is more than enough for them and at the two more atletic persons in the band (Steve and Bruce) now this very well. Funnily enough, I think that the less healthy member is Dave which is quite obvious has had his ups and downs with weight in the latter years.
Whoa....you lived with Nicko?

I think legality issues aside it's probably not a good idea for a bunch of guys in their 60s and 70s to take drugs that are known to cause high blood pressure, heart issues etc.

I know doctors will sometimes prescribe testosterone replacement therapy as natural levels can drop in later years and that is said to restore some energy and vigour, but again not advisable if not for medical purposes.

Same question but outside of IM, do you have in mind any cases ?

I have workout in gyms for more than half of my life and I have seen how steroids have helped some guys get incredibly pumped in less time. Now, to say that has improved in their performance (most of them just trained to be big and that was it). Having said this, I must say there was this particular guy who was a bodybuilder and I know he used steroids to get to a particular size and that he achieved.
Thanks for the reply, my question was meant to be about musicians and live performances, I just edited that into my original post to make it clear.

I am looking for examples of a musician who at some point in his career started to show signs of getting old and started showing tiredness after 90 minutes of live show, but all of a sudden, in the span of few months, he showed up in much better physical shape (which could hint to some kind of supplement for example steroids or TRT) and started to complete 120+ minutes live show without getting tired.

I think legality issues aside it's probably not a good idea for a bunch of guys in their 60s and 70s to take drugs that are known to cause high blood pressure, heart issues etc.

I know doctors will sometimes prescribe testosterone replacement therapy as natural levels can drop in later years and that is said to restore some energy and vigour, but again not advisable if not for medical purposes.
This is what I had in mind originally, just reasonable amount of hormone supplements supervised by qualified doctors, just enough to compensate the natural hormone drop that comes with age and rise its level to a normal again.

I also think that it is a very bad idea to take steroids unsupervised. It is a well known fact that people who ABUSE steroids risk to not live a long healthy life.

Have you noticed at any point in time if a member of IM suddenly got in a much better shape that before ? If so, did you notice an improvement is his performance in that period ? Bruce was particurarly fit between 1986-1990 because of his fencing training, during this time he was, perhaps, even more explosive (moving wise) on stage. But let's be honest, he has always been like that so is hard to really say his performance was all that better.

The singing live was definitely not better during those years!

The singing live was definitely not better during those years!
He went for a certain style which wasn't (mine included) to many liking but people who attended his solo tour, even non-tradional media, were very impressed with his singing in the 90's. And in 88, his operatics were as good as always. Having said that, I understand what you're saying also.

Back