Iron Maiden, Mk II?!

Jer

A window to the west, a blazing star above
Pick a year, any year — and some tragic event causes every current member of Iron Maiden to be killed. But Maiden is too important to be cast into the dustbin of history, so other musicians must step forward to carry on their legacy! Who would you choose...?

Here are a couple:

1986: The “Heaven Can’t Wait” Tour

After Cyborg Eddie’s giant head breaks off during a concert and tragically steamrolls every band member to death, the show must go on!

Replacing Bruce: Geoff Tate
Replacing Adrian: Joe Satriani
Replacing Dave: Kai Hansen
Replacing Steve: Billy Sheehan
Replacing Nicko: Neil Peart

While Tate doesn’t sound much like Bruce, his vocal range in 1986 is still up to the task. Satriani brings a range of riffage to bluesy finesse comparable to what Adrian had. Hansen brings the fast, bright melodic component to his playing that Dave traditionally would, but cranks it up to 11. Billy Sheehan can absolutely handle the bass as a co-lead instrument. Neil Peart brings the power, finesse, and technicality needed to handle Nicko’s parts, while also taking these to the next level.

Let’s conveniently forget that none of these men are British, and hope that maybe this incarnation of the band will finally play “Alexander The Great”!

1998: The “New Originals” Tour

During a show on the Virtual XI tour, Janick accidentally kicks over everyone’s beers while prancing around the stage, and when he pointlessly rams the head of his guitar into one of his amps to look cool, he electrocutes both himself and everyone else in contact with the beer spill. The horror!

Which heroes will rise to take their place? Who else?!

Replacing Blaze: Bruce Dickinson
Replacing Janick: Adrian Smith
Replacing Dave: Roy Z.
Replacing Steve: Chris Dale
Replacing Nicko: Clive Burr

Three then-former members of Iron Maiden take up the mantle along with two members of Bruce’s solo bands. Bruce, Adrian, and Clive fit like a glove. Roy Z. brings a new sense of fire to the guitars alongside some sweet acoustic skills. Chris Dale brings the fat bass licks and lead bass playing.

Going forward, this incarnation of Iron Maiden plays songs spanning both Iron Maiden’s career and Bruce’s solo albums. Everybody wins! (Except for the dead ones, of course...)

None of the above can touch this....

So I would probably go for....

Self - Hurdy Gurdy
Blaze - Mascot
Tony Levin - Moustache
Pert - Good call

Thats it. Back to basics.

This sounds awful. I don't want to hear some wanky bass solo in the middle of Phantom of the Opera.
Well, you’re essentially getting one under the verse in the original version of the song, so why not...? :p

You could always just pretend he’s pulling a Steve-like “Blood On The World’s Hands” or “The Red And The Black” intro, though he hadn’t gone down that road yet in 1986...

Well, you’re essentially getting one under the verse in the original version of the song, so why not...? :p

To be honest, I don't know much of Billy's work, in fact the only song I've heard with him playing is Glenn Tipton's "Baptizm of Fire". I tried to imagine hearing this new line up playing "Phantom" live. Dave.. er, Kai finishes his first solo, the lights go down, everything goes quiet, but instead of that sweet bass lead we get this...

<_<

You could always just pretend he’s pulling a Steve-like “Blood On The World’s Hands” or “The Red And The Black” intro, though he hadn’t gone down that road yet in 1986...

Something like that could work, because those sections in particular are a part of the songs, though some might say otherwise with TRATB...

Check out Niacin for some quality Sheehan. But definitely not a Maiden fit.
Throw Bernie Edwards in for the craic. Man would nail Innocent Exile...

Back