Iron Maiden books

harrisdevot

Priest of the Holy Wristband
I've long wanted to open a thread to discuss Maiden related books. I've seen that several members of the forum have recently bought Loopy's book (Loopy world: The Iron Maiden years), so I guess this is the right occasion. I've bought it when it was released, as I thought it would be sold out rapidly. I had the surprise to see him advertise his book recently to pay his trips to see the LotB gigs, so he didn't have the expected success.
This is a very interesting book , full of anecdotes and useful information on the dynamics within the band at its early stage, as he witnessed their rise from a semipro to a huge band. Sure, he had already given much of it in his blog, but there are quite a few additions. The weak point are (and it could have been the most interesting thing) the photos: there are many unseen pics, but no caption, which is quite frustrating. The help of a professional editor was needed. But again, among the many shit books about the band, this one is a must-read.

Attachments

• 51--YMEvPPL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    51--YMEvPPL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 17
I just ordered a copy of it there now, read some of the blogs last week and it was enjoyable.

Heh i just posted into a 100k thread (I think) that this book has arrived. Looking forward to reading it. The postage time was excellent too, I think I ordered it just the week before.

I used to have the RTTH book, but sadly sold or lost it. It’s good but it was odd reading Mick Wall sucking up to the band for much for the book, when he often made fun of them in the Kerrang days, sometimes very amusingly, as only Mick Wall can. I see it’s now out of print.

I still have a copy of Running Free by Gary Bushell, the original official biog, it’s pretty good but mostly just pictures of the band. Mines dated from 1986 and has the SIT art as the cover.

What happened to Garry Bushell’s involvement in Maiden. Wonder if he stepped on some toes not to get asked back for the encore.

I really wish Steve Harris had an autobiography that goes into detail on thoughts around the writing of each album.
He's not completely closed to the idea: he said in a recent interview that it would be useful as he is the only one able to document the whole history of the band.

What happened to Garry Bushell’s involvement in Maiden. Wonder if he stepped on some toes not to get asked back for the encore.

Think he's more of a tabloid journalist these days.

I found his book nearly impossible to read with the cockney dialogue.

I've long wanted to open a thread to discuss Maiden related books. I've seen that several members of the forum have recently bought Loopy's book (Loopy world: The Iron Maiden years), so I guess this is the right occasion. I've bought it when it was released, as I thought it would be sold out rapidly. I had the surprise to see him advertise his book recently to pay his trips to see the LotB gigs, so he didn't have the expected success.
This is a very interesting book , full of anecdotes and useful information on the dynamics within the band at its early stage, as he witnessed their rise from a semipro to a huge band. Sure, he had already given much of it in his blog, but there are quite a few additions. The weak point are (and it could have been the most interesting thing) the photos: there are many unseen pics, but no caption, which is quite frustrating. The help of a professional editor was needed. But again, among the many shit books about the band, this one is a must-read.

I agree about the book being a must-read. Although the writing style and presentation is quite amateurish, it contains interesting information for Maiden nerds like us and, therefore, I would definitely recommend the book to anyone who wants to hear a non-sanitised version of what went on during the early years. Loopy does not mince his words regarding Rod Smallwood and Cive Burr!

I really wish Steve Harris had an autobiography that goes into detail on thoughts around the writing of each album.
I think that Steve, unlike Bruce, is no real author but rather a (very good) text adapter and arranger (I'm not referring to the recent copyright affairs but to the fact that a lot of his lyrics come from book or film adaptations). He would very certainly need a ghost writer to make an autobiography, but the question is: would he let an outsider in his thoughts and secrets that easily?

I think that Steve, unlike Bruce, is no real author but rather a (very good) text adapter and arranger (I'm not referring to the recent copyright affairs but to the fact that a lot of his lyrics come from book or film adaptations). He would very certainly need a ghost writer to make an autobiography, but the question is: would he let an outsider in his thoughts and secrets that easily?

Bruce should ghost write it.

Back