• piece of death

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • the killers final prayer

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • number of the dark

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
Black Thunder said:
TFF is first, not sure about the rest, though...
That's a joke, right??

Brave New World sold initially like one million. NoTB sold 3-4 in a year or so. Pretty sure I read those numbers somewhere.

Night Prowler said:
TFF had the most chart success of all Maiden albums, that's for sure.
Yes, but it's not the best selling. People bought more albums back in the day. Like, a lot more albums.

And furthermore, the limits for gold records etc have been lowered since the 80's and the limits aren't even proportionate. There's no worldwide standard to my knowing.

Edit 2: And keep in mind, TNoTB etc have 25 + years head start over TFF, if we're talking volumes of record sold in total.

I think Somewhere in time is the best selling. It was huge in the U.S coming off the world slavery tour .

johnglen said:
I think Somewhere in time is the best selling. It was huge in the U.S coming off the world slavery tour .
No, I don't think so. It did reach the 3 million mark in the US but I remember reading Steve saying he was disappointed in the reception it got. That qualifies for an educated guess that it's not the best selling album.

I'll scan my magazines when I get home in three weeks. I think I read it in one of them.

Best selling albums for the USA can be estimated by using the RIAA-database.

I wish we had worldwide sale figures, to see how less "bad" the nineties were outside the States.

The Number of the Beast received platinum in 1986, while Powerslave had to wait until 1991 according to the RIAA.

And do remember that the limit for the awards are lower than in the 80's. Also, a double album CD only needs to sell half as many times as a single album CD, as it counts per disc and not per album.

I guess DVD limits are lower too, since Visions of the beast received multi platinum... Which would be their highest certificate in the US.

Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son and Live After Death all went platinum, but NotB had some 14 million sales.

I'd love to know how BNW did. I do recall a resurgence of interest in Maiden in the US then.

For the all time best seller, my guess is also Beast. In fact, I'd guess the top three (out of studio albums only) are Beast, POM and Powerslave.

Back