If Mr.Shirley re-mastered AMOLAD so its like FF...

This was posted on the IMFC last night and it actually gets posted on HydrogenAudio and headfi quite often as well.  http://warbucket.org/forums/index.php?/topic/6034-can-you-hear-the-difference-between-flac-and-128-kbps-mp3/  Though people always use different clips when posting this exercise this guy chose to use Floyd.  

Like I said earlier I can't always hear the difference between lossless and mp3, but I can almost always hear it on my main system, but I've been fooled as well.  I've never seen anyone get every example right in any sort of test.  My PC or laptop speakers or iPod with crappy Sennheiser headphones aren't as revealing.  I guess my point is I believe there is a difference and I can hear it, but sometimes your ears can deceive you a bit.  It's funny how defensive people act who claim they can always hear and then get fooled.  That's not pointed at anyone here, I'm simply speaking from my personal experiences.  

That's why I hate the term audiophile because there's a connotation that comes with that word that you believe you have some sort of infallible hearing (or golden ears as it's often referred to by folks making fun of audiophiles).  I can hear the difference, but I wouldn't dare say it's 100%.  If you want to see some real funny shit go to an audiophile board and read some of the nonsensical arguments those guys have.  Seriously, they can be an insane bunch of people. 

It's the latter:  GREAT MUSICIAN!  (I'll be damned.  It does work.)
Also, if you type "t-e-h" instead of "t-h-e", you get the "I'M TOO LAZY..." auto-replace that confounded Twarkle.  There may be other examples. 

I don't want to read the whole thread, but I really don't know what's the problem with AMOL&D production. It's the best production of an IM album since Somewhere In Time, at least IMO. Everything is perfectly audible, clear and sounds great. I can't judge TFF production job since I only heard 192 kbps mp3 files, it's obviously better than Dance Of Death, but weaker than AMOL&D and BNW.

I think that AMOLAD's production suits the entire theme of the album, including the artwork. The long, painful march towards death and war.

The guitars sound foreboding and the mood is absolutely matched to the themes of the music.

It's impressive, just as from initial listens TFF sounds wide open, either across the vast plains, the vast seas, or the vastness of space.

The production on DoD sucks. I love half of that album but when my ipod goes from BNW to DoD, it really stands out.

And I also read (I forget where) that if you listen to the X-Factor with earplugs, you hear the way Steve intended. That sounds really stupid but considering that it is his album along with the hearing damage, it wouldn't surprise me.

I've often said to my friends that while The X Factor isn't my favorite Maiden album, it's a great one and the one they needed to make at the time. Without speculating about the reasons why, all of the songs come from a position of lament and honesty that I think is pretty special. Besides, it makes a pretty nice contrast to the comparatively bubblegum No Prayer, and even FotD was only a teaser in places for the dark tone to come.

I think the production had everything to do with it. It's a shame that Virtual XI isn't quite up to the same task, but still another good album that goes unappreciated.

The X Factor is in my top five Maiden albums...or was until this new one came along.  But it's right there at the top, and is a damn fine statement in bleak artistry.

Back