If Maiden Had Chosen to Retire......

in 1999 instead of reuniting with Bruce and Adrian, what in your opinion would have been their lasting legacy on the world of music?

They'd be forgotten about now mainly and probably considered as being on the level below Metallica and Black Sabbath.

I think they would have left behind a great legacy that was fondly remembered by all, and I think that had they retired their legendary status would have been amplified as it always is when a band retires or an artist dies.

On the other hand however, in your proposed timeline the band retires in 1999 before (or rather, instead of) Bruce and Adrian rejoined. They were at a very low point in their career with not many fans, and this wasn't helped by the growing trend of nu metal at the time. I don't think they would be greatly missed at the immediate time due to general lack of interest in them, and I think that people would also be quick to point out their fall of grace (they release Seventh Son - great. NPFTD and FOTD - they're ok. Bruce leaves and Blaze comes - oh hell no. TXF and VXI - fuck that)

So I think they would have left a lasting and very influential legacy but people would only have looked up to the 80s stuff. The 90s stuff would probably be spat on more than they are today and perhaps blamed for the downfall of the band. I think they would have reunited later on though

They'd be forgotten about now mainly
I don't think so. When one of them dies (it's sad but it must happen one day), I really can't imagine the bands paying tribute to them playing anything more recent than "Fear of the Dark", simply because there's no song afterwards that is as much unifying as anything from, say, Somewhere Back in Time (+ "FOTD" of course). Iron Maiden stays relevant thanks to their stage act and -business is business- to their merchandise (inspired from a strong visual identity to say the least), not thanks to their recent songs (apart, maybe, from "The Wicker Man" which could pass as an anthem).

They would still be considered one of the best, but below Sabbath/Ozzy, Metallica, Priest, and maybe Dio. If they retired in 1999 that would have been the low point in their career, so that could possibly hurt their legacy a bit more. I think they are relevant today because they continue to make great music in addition to putting on amazing live shows.

If Iron Maiden had called it a day in the 90s then I guess there would have been constant calls for a reunion, like with Pantera's remaining members. The classic 80s material would never have been forgotten and could have perhaps been considered even more legendary as the band wouldn't exist, like with Pantera's most famous songs.

Much like all the Deadheads moving over to Phish after Jerry Garcia died, I think the Maiden fans would have soon discovered that Bruce & Adrian were putting out some awesome stuff with Roy Z. and doing amazing renditions of Maiden songs live, and many of the fans would have migrated over to their camp within a few years.

The 90's weren't a great period for any traditional metal band despite the albums released. The ones Maiden released not being considered, by far, among their best, the fact that Blaze wasn't that well accepted and their popularity being at the lowest point in their career (except in South America), I think it wouldn't have come as a surprise if Maiden had called it a day. Of course as it happens with bands that were popular at one time/during a long period in their career, there would have been constant requests for a reunion with the "classic" 80's line-up.

I’m sure they would been held in high regard in the metal community and then pressurised into a reunion tour post the Britpop fashion crisis in the 90s..

I’m sure they would been held in high regard in the metal community and then pressurised into a reunion tour post the Britpop fashion crisis in the 90s..
Speaking about Britpop, do you remember who Alex Dickson (who played with Bruce) went to play for after Skunkworks? ;)

Speaking about Britpop, do you remember who Alex Dickson (who played with Bruce) went to play for after Skunkworks? ;)

Wasn’t it Robbie Williams? It’s a bit like Morrissey’s old guitarist going to work with people like Rihanna, guess you can’t blame them as it’s easy money. Although selling out.

Wasn’t it Robbie Williams? It’s a bit like Morrissey’s old guitarist going to work with people like Rihanna, guess you can’t blame them as it’s easy money. Although selling out.
Good memory! Actually, I quite like RW's career up to Intensive care.
Anyway, wait till '52. :D

It’s a bit like Morrissey’s old guitarist going to work with people like Rihanna, guess you can’t blame them as it’s easy money. Although selling out.
I'm sure you know Nuno Bettencourt did it with Rihanna too...

Last edited:
Of course they would be remembered as a legendary band and one of the best ones of the 80's but their popularity and legacy would be smaller than it is today.
Iron Maiden is one of the classic metal bands that has grown the most in the 21st century. If they had retired in 1999 they would be remembered as a great band but it wouldn't be as popular among the youth as it is today and we must also remember they were at a low point in their carreer so their last image if they had retired woudn't be that good.

Maybe they would have pulled a Guns and Roses-like sensational reunion cabaret tour that would have broken the box office and set attendance records.

Maybe they would have pulled a Guns and Roses-like sensational reunion cabaret tour that would have broken the box office and set attendance records.
This is what they just did over the last few months. No need to split and reunite for that! ;)

Last edited:
Back