Iced Earth

Jon Schaffer's voice is on the new Sabaton album. He cites the diary in "Diary of an Unknown Soldier". When Sabaton thought of someone in the metal world with a beautiful, deep voice and some historical awareness, it led them to Jon. (I read this in the latest Aardschok issue, Dutch metal magazine).

I think it's very good. Schaffer's speeches rule (as long as they are not too political ;) ).

Last edited:
I had no idea that was Schaffer. I did wonder who the speaker was, but assumed they'd got an American actor to do it. His voice is ideal for it.

Dammit, wish I didn't know that. Would've gotten great Iced Earth knowledge cred if I got it right before anyone else :P Didn't listen to the album yet.

Jon Schaffer's voice is on the new Sabaton album. He cites the diary in "Diary of an Unknown Soldier". When Sabaton thought of someone in the metal world with a beautiful, deep voice and some historical awareness, it led them to Jon. (I read this in the latest Aardschok issue, Dutch metal magazine).

I think it's very good. Schaffer's speeches rule (as long as they are not too political ;) ).

HOLY SHIT. I KNEW IT!

I literally said to @Detective Beauregard after one listen - "Track 4 or something is just this spoken word piece by some dude doing a Jon Schaffer impression."

Every year around this time, I'm bingeing on Iced Earth. This time around, it's much more extreme than before, and I've hardly listened to anything else in the last seven days or so.
It's hard to fathom how insanely good they were in the nineties, and how steeply they dropped after Alive in Athens. Horror Show still has a few good songs, but Glorious Burden is so laughable. I hadn't listened to it for a long time when I put it on recently, and I found myself laughing from start to finish. It's hard to believe that this was meant to be taken seriously, and even harder that I actually did take it seriously earlier. Gettysburg is about the only thing that has quality to it, but even here, I find it very hard to believe that it came from the same mind that cooked up such masterpieces as Pure Evil, Travel in Stygian or Burnt Offerings. The whole album seems like a psychotic episode with one lucid moment that exposes the emptiness of it all - Hollow Man. Too bad that song sucks really hard.

It's one IE album I never paid much attention to, maybe because the subject didn't really appeal. I might have to go and listen now.

I guess other band members from the glorious past had a role in the success.

From the post-Horror Show works (which also has two or three stinkers) I also like the song Declaration Day and a handful of songs from later albums. But the difference is quality is huge indeed.

I had Horror Show on the other day, almost forgot what good Iced Earth sounded like. There are some filler tracks in the middle but it is bookended by some pretty incredible songs (Wolf, Damien, Phantom Opera Ghost, Dracula).

Glorious Burden had a cool concept but failed miserably in execution. Declaration Day is a good one and I like the first part of Gettysburg. Rest I can take or leave.

Glorious Burden had a cool concept but failed miserably in execution. Declaration Day is a good one and I like the first part of Gettysburg. Rest I can take or leave.

I love the entire Gettysburg trilogy, but it dips a bit in the middle. Also, Red Baron/Blue Max is bad ass.

Back