ICED EARTH SURVIVOR 2018: Results -> A Question Of Heaven wins!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Finally to the good stuff.

Wolf - Not crazy about the intro to this song but once it gets going it's awesome. Love the pummeling rhythms Barlow's performance. The double bass during the chorus is so badass. Great way to start the album.

Damien - Awesome song. Very atmospheric and dynamic, something the band were really good at earlier in their career but kinda lost as the albums became more polished. This song also has one of the best Iced Earth choruses.

Jack - Another killer track with a catchy chorus. It's no Ripper but I like the different approach to the character.

Ghost of Freedom - I think of this as the beginning of the lame Iced Earth ballads. Something Wicked has several ballads but they all work in their own way. Ghost of Freedom just plods and kinda has a dumb lyric. It also breaks the mood and flow of the album. VOTE

Im Ho Tep - Things quickly get back on track with this tune. The main riff is a bit of a heavy metal cliche but the vocal parts are awesome. Love the way the verses build up.

Jekyll and Hyde - This song isn't bad but kinda feels like a lesser and more generic Wolf Part 2. The riffing is slightly uninspired and the fast tempo isn't as effective as on Wolf. Nice chorus though. Vote

Dragon's Child - This is like the hidden gem of the album. I always forget it's on here and nobody ever talks about it but it's actually really fantastic. Great use of the Maiden gallop and an awesome chorus. Really nice twin harmonies and bass fills too. Probably the best Metal song about the creature from the black lagoon.

Frankenstein - Like Jekyll and Hyde this song has a lot going for it but as a whole the song doesn't quite deliver. By the time Dracula comes on I've already forgotten everything about it. Vote.

Dracula - This song is so awesome. I love the atmospheric intro with the fretless bass before it explodes into one of the most intense moments in Iced Earth's entire catalog. Barlow's performance on this is incredible. One of his greatest moments in the band.

The Phantom Opera Ghost - Atmospheric, dramatic, this song has it all. I love the use of female vocals on this. She and Barlow really complement each other. The riffing in this is Stormrider-worthy. Nice use of keyboards too. It's unmistakably Iced Earth but still breaks new ground for them. The perfect way to end the album.

Transylvania - I decided to listen to this album without Transylvania in the mix (as it was released in some versions) because, like Ghost in the Freedom, I always felt it disrupted the flow. I get why they included it but it just seems unecessary and really doesn't fit in musically. I'm also not too fond of their rendition. They clearly tried as hard as they could too stay faithful to the original but it's to the point where covering it in the first place seems pointless. Why listen to this when I can listen to the original Maiden version? The production also does not flatter this song. VOTE

In some ways Horror Show is the band's Powerslave. It's bookended by four heavy hitters that are all worthy of the top ten. The downside of that is those four songs are so strong that they overshadow everything else. There are some really good tracks in there but everything in between Damien and Dracula seems like a significant step down. That being said, this is one of their most well-executed albums in terms of theme and song flow. The horror film concept is awesome and they do a great job with it. And the songs in between the big four aren't bad, but it just seems obvious that most of them didn't receive the same amount of attention and dedication. The album overall is a satisfying listen and has some of their best work. It also feels like they're starting to experiment again. Dark Saga and Something Wicked both felt a little more "safe" and definitely not as raw as Burnt Offerings and Stormrider. Horror Show gets back to that a big and also brings in some progressive elements. Again not that unlike Powerslave. It's too bad Barlow didn't stick around and that they didn't explore that further. I suppose Gettysburg is a bit of a continuation of that but it really fails to deliver IMO.

This used to be my favorite Iced Earth album (not counting Alive In Athens), but I would probably take both SWTWC and Burnt Offerings over it now. We'll see where it sits in my rankings at the end of the survivor. I will say that this and Burnt Offerings are the only Iced Earth studio albums I go back to. For everything else I usually just put on AIA. Obviously Horror Show isn't represented on AIA, but I get the feeling that even if it was (including the four best songs) I'd still go back to the studio album because it just flows so well.

This album also has the best bass playing on any Iced Earth album. I think a comment was made in this thread about the lack of bass in Iced Earth which is generally true, but this album is a huge exception. There are some awesome bass parts all over this album, especially in Damien and Dracula. There are not only moments where the bass is in the spotlight, but where it's also clearly contributing to the whole. It's too bad Steve Di Giorgio didn't do more with the band.

Horror Show is my favourite IE album, and Damien - my favourite IE song. While it is true that the album is somewhat inconsistent, the peaks are incredibly good and the "low" points are all actually quite good tracks, taken in isolation. I pretty much agree with the things Mosh said above, so I'll just list my votes here:

Ghost Dancing
V
The Devil to Pay
Transylvania
Frankenstein

Perhaps my dislike for Dracula is somewhat comparable with Perun's for Declaratio Day. It's mainly the vocals. But I find Dracula somewhat simple and monotone as well. My biggest problem is the unsubtle chorus. It has overblowing, wailing and blunt vocals, as if every syllable is done with the same annoying bleating volume. Not a nice melody either. The song is a far cry from majestic material such as Phantom Opera Ghost and Damien. It's also not as good as Dragon Child, Wolf and Jack. Yep, you guessed right: the praise on this forum continues to amaze me. If not mistaken this is the only track played live since the Ripper years. Such a shame.

I saw them do Damien with Stu, it was pretty awesome. I hadn’t heard Horror Show yet at the time.

It was difficult for me to vote for anything from Horror Show since it was my first Iced Earth album and still my favorite. That said, some tracks are definitely not up to the quality of the three heavy-hitters (Damien, Dracula, and Phantom).

I voted for...

Wolf (never understood the love for this as it just isn't catchy)
Jack
Ghost of Freedom (IE ballad = auto skip)
Im-Ho-Tep (the end is cool but it's kind of a cliche Egyptian song)
Jekyll & Hyde
Transylvania (Mosh said it all)

That said, two songs I love are Dragon's Child and Frankenstein. The former has so many cool riffs (2:56 is amazing), but unfortunately Schaffer has never liked the song (which is why it's never been played live). The latter has such a cool un-Iced Earth groove, which sets it apart from most of their other work. It reminds me a bit of Reaping Stone from the previous album. The riff at 2:06 is killer. I love the song mostly because the rhythm section actually does its own synced-up thing and doesn't really follow the guitars. As Mosh said, the bass playing on this album really stands out.

Horror Show definitely dips in quality through the middle, but even the weakest track (Jekyll and Hyde) is decent. I actually like Ghost of Freedom just as much as anything in the middle and it’s mostly because of Barlow’s performance. This is easily my favorite IE record and certainly the most consistent.

Voting for Jack, Imhotep, Ghost, Hyde, and Transylvania.

Also V and Heathen - get these gone already!

Horror Show is definitely top 5 material for me. Probably even top 3. Heck, I really ought to do a proper ranking of IE's albums soon :p

Anyway, voted for Ghost Dance and Anthem (to get them out of the way!) in addition to Hold at All Costs and High Water Mark, and finally Ghost of Freedom, Im-Ho-Tep and Jekyll & Hyde.
I don't think any of those are particular bad, but they are definitely weaker compared to the rest of Horror Show. Wolf, Damien and Frankenstein might be my favourites from the album.

So since we’re doing this in reverse order, I went ahead and listened to Alive In Athens again. Still probably my favorite Metal live album for a variety reasons. With the exception of the Burnt Offerings material, I prefer every AIA version to its studio counterpart. I’m not a big fan of the polished sound they’ve gone for ever since Dark Saga so AIA is a nice alternative to that. There’s a lot more energy and raw intensity in these versions. The setlist is phenomenal. I love how each disc feels like its own individual set with its own flow and atmosphere. It really feels like you’re listening to three different concerts. I’m not a huge fan of disc three because the flow and song selection aren’t quite as strong, but it’s still very strong. Also much needed remakes of songs like When the Night Falls and Desert Rain.

Usually I think choosing a live album is a cop out for answering the question of best album but I have to make an exception for IE. It’s the one I always go back to when I need an IE fix. Best part is that each disc stands on its own so there’s a lot to choose from.

I know! If I could replace a couple of the disc 3 tracks with Wolf, Dracula, Damien, and Phantom Opera Ghost it would be all the Iced Earth I need in one package.

Ey2B4Dh.jpg

Credits:
Jon Schaffer - rhythm guitar & vocals - 6th album with the band
Matt Barlow - vocals - 4th album with the band
Larry Tarnowski - lead guitar - 2nd album with the band
Richard Christy - drums - 1st album with the band
Guests:
Steve DiGiorgio - bass
Yunhui Percifield - vocals on 1 song

1. Wolf - Right from the beginning you can hear how big of an impression working with Hansi Kürsch had on Schaffer: vocal overdubs everywhere! My only gripe is that I would've liked more fills from Richard Christy; he's great in the beginning, but during the bridge he plays one rhythm without fills for way too long. (Compare the studio recording to how they played it on the live album with Stu, for example.). Anyway, epic opener.
  2. Damien - Honestly, now that we've reached the golden era of Iced Earth, I feel like most of my reviews are gonna be repetitive praise of songs :p This is another epic as fuck song. Like @Mosh said, one of their best choruses ever too.
  3. Jack - This is one of the least awesome songs on the album, which just says how good it is. I think that the calm whispering section kinda ruins the flow of the song. Barlow is insane on this song, though.
  4. Ghost Of Freedom - Maybe the best Iced Earth ballad, don't @ me. I'll actually have to decide on that when we reach the last album, because honestly, they have so many awesome ballads. Back to Ghost Of Freedom: Barlow slays. Guitar solo is awesome (Jim Morris cameo for that one). Epic as fuck ending. Considering Barlow wrote the lyrics to this one, I hope he'll perform it live with Ashes Of Ares. So far that band only played original songs live, but I'll hold out hope for them bringing out some Iced Earth songs.
  5. Im-Ho-Tep (Pharaoh's Curse) - Some really good fills from Richard Christy at the beginning, and the riff is really cool too. The rest of the song is maybe a bit repetitive, but the solo is awesome, and Barlow kills it at the end. One of the 3 songs they haven't played live from this album, probably due to too many vocal overdubs.
  6. Jekyll & Hyde - Bummed out that they dropped it from the setlist before I saw them in 2014. Fairly standard upbeat Iced Earth song with awesome drumming. Compared to Jack, the calm section is the highlight of the song. Oh yeah, and the solo is awesome too.
  7. Dragon's Child - This is my least favorite song on the album. It's not really bad, just nothing special compared to other songs on the album. 2nd song from this album that was never played live.
  8. Transylvania - Decent Iced Earth-ized cover, but I honestly think they didn't need it after recording 1776 already :p
  9. Frankenstein - Underrated song with awesome Barlow-Schaffer vocal team-up.
  10. Dracula - Best song on the album. Might also be their hardest song for singing, so I hope they reunite with Barlow asap, while he can still do it live.
  11. The Phantom Opera Ghost - 3rd song from this album they haven't played live. They could just play the recording of the female vocals like they do on A Question Of Heaven, or they could've invited Floor Jansen over when they toured with ReVamp. She's better than the girl that sings on the studio version anyway. This song is great and it deserves to be played live at least once. Btw. this seems to be the only IE album with noticeable bass. Some nice licks on this song.
Overall: The end of Iced Earth's golden era, and not just because Barlow left afterwards. They never had so many different styles of songs as they did this on album. They never sounded as power metalish as they did on this album. Also, they never sounded as awesome again :( Damn you, Bin Laden!!!!! You ruined everything!!!!!
Best song(s): Dracula, Ghost Of Freedom, Wolf, The Phantom Opera Ghost.

Voted for Great Heathen Army, V, The Devil To Pay, Jack, Dragon's Child and Transylvania.

With the exception of the Burnt Offerings material, I prefer every AIA version to its studio counterpart.
I wouldn't say the studio versions are inferior, but usually if I want to listen to a song from the the 90's, I'll play the AIA version first, except for the Suffering Trilogy (since AIA doesn't have Scarred).

They actually wanted to make a proper video/live album from the Horror Show tour. They had a big stage, pyrotechnics, 2h+ long shows on the European tour in 2002 but record label didn't give them money to record it :(

Example:

Yea I've seen that video before. Awesome stage show. Setlist seems to be pretty much AIA with Horror Show. Only thing missing is Dante's Inferno.

I think Damien might be my pick to win it all.

I think Damien might be my pick to win it all.

Iced Earth is one of the only bands where I'd be perfectly content with a bunch of different songs taking the top spot (Damien, Dracula, Coming Curse, Question of Heaven, Stygian, hell even Hunter). I'd add Gettysburg in that list but only as a full piece.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 13:
Ghost Of Freedom - 7 votes
Jekyll & Hyde - 7 votes
Transylvania - 7 votes
Great Heathen Army - 6 votes
Jack - 6 votes
Im-Ho-Tep (Pharaoh's Curse) - 6 votes

Promoted after Round 13:
Black Flag
Ghost Dance (Awaken The Ancestors)
Clear The Way (December 13th, 1862)